FLAMING CLIFFS 2 - very low fps

Scipione

Hy, I just bought FC2 2 days ago, but after hours of trying I can't fly anymore.

I tried with minimum quality settings either simulator and graphic card, but nothing.

My configuration:

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit

CPU Intel Core Duo T7700 2.4 GHz

4 GB RAM (full 4 GB available)

nVidia GeForce 8400M GS, 1919 GB Ram (128 MB dedicated)

I tried also to disable windows aero, disable all antisotropic, antialias etc., and I tried to fly my Su-33: it's impossible to fly at 15 fps, often 5 and sometimes 2 or even 0!!!

With this hardware I can fly LOMAC with maximum quality settings (either in simulator and graphic card), with excellent performance.

I also noticed that even if I set maximum quality either in simulator and graphic card, in Flaming Cliffs 2 the quality is poor, relative to LOMAC.

What's the problem?

Thank you everyone,

Scipio

hmmmmm, try restarting your computer and the first thing you do is to start the game and see the performance, if its higher I wonder if there is some kind of memory leak. i had a memory leak when i first installed windows 7, but i have 64 bit. with those settings i would only think you can fly on medium to low settings but you should hopefully get more than 15. when you run the game have your windows task manager open on the performance tab and look at your page file usage history, if its a huge amount then yo might have some kind of memory leak. the memory leak that i had was something to do with my sound card driver...... if you have that or not we'll go from there. but for now see if there is a memory leak, there is also an FPS fix for the game that cuts down long distance LOD settings. i'll find that fix. Edit here is the FPS tweak, http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=51339 try that.

Edited by graywo1fg

4w24cLi.png?4

Voice of Jester AI

Death From Above =DFA= Squadron Discord - https://discord.gg/deathfromabove

http://www.twitch.tv/graywo1f

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lonewo1fg

FIRST: I NOTICED THAI I POSTED ON THE WRONG SECTION, I had different pages opened at the same time and I confused the help-desk of Lock On with Problems&Bugs of DCS... I'm sorry, and I ask moderators to move this thread. Thanks...

@graywo1fg

I will try the fix you linked, thanks.

I don't have a memory leak: when I did the tests with the simulator, I always checked with Windows Performance Monitor (i don't know the name in English, my SO is Italian), and the memory usage history had not any peak.

When the simulation starting, the amount change about 300 Mb or so.

In flight, the total RAM usage is anout 1300 MB or so, and there are 2700 MB free, so it's not a RAM issue.

I tried with minimum quality settings, mirrors disabled, graphic card with all filters disabled but nothing.

With LOMAC, at maximum quality (also setted in graphic card) the performance is excellent.

Well comparing with LOMAC is not helping since FC 2.0 is obviously different, i.e. more graphically demanding.

We all know FC/DCS is more demanding on the CPU, but it's not like the GPU isn't needed at all. And a 8400M GS is an incredibly slow card I'm afraid. Especially the mobile version.

Also on which resolution are you running FC?

I run the sim at 1024x800.

The CP usage during flight was below 40%.

What do you say? 8400M GS is extremly slow? I Purchased this notebook expecially for flight simulation... :joystick:

I tried also this: either graphic card and simulator's option at maximum quality; the quality of the Su-33 on the flight deck is similar to the Falcon 4 Open Falcon graphics... I think that there's something not working :doh:

FC2 should be faster than LO:FC in the majority of PC, so perhaps there's something wrong on your computer.

Check latest graphics drivers (nvidia 197.13 for desktop nvidia, 197.16 for laptop ones).

Check you have the latest directx9 (they are update if you let FC2 installator upgrade them).

Check you don't have FC2 installed in C:/program files.

Check antivirus, create an exception for FC2 folder.

Edited by Distiler

AMD Ryzen 1400 // 16 GB DDR4 2933Mhz // Nvidia 1060 6GB // W10 64bit // Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2

That you purchased the notebook especially for flight simulation doesn't change the fact, that the video card is dated and is performance wise really low-end.

If your CPU was around 40%, it means that something else is the bottleneck. Which kinda only leaves the GPU.

When you're comparing visual fidelity, try F-15 quickstart with max and min settings. Since the flightdeck looks kinda bad on max settings too ^^

Posting screenshots might work as well.

I got the latest nVidia drivers 197.16 (not 197.13) and DirectX11.

I don't understood the folder problem... FC2 is installed in E:\Programmi\...\Flaming Cliffs 2\; the E:\ drive is a second partition, the main partition is C:\

I checked also the FC2's temp folder, and it's on the same drive, the same folder.

The options you told me Damli, I tried it: no mirrors and all options low quality.

my g**....

I don't know if is it possible to change my 8400m with the new 8800M GTS...

Edited by Scipione

Switching any hardware of a laptop is not that easy as with a desktop. In most cases it may not even work because of size or it'd just plain expensive.

Did you try max/min settings while looking at the ground in F-15 quickstart to rule out a hardware/driver failure?

do you saying that using F-15 airborne, is less gpu-expensive than Su-33?

but i bought FC2 just to splash down all US Fighters using the Terminator's brother....

I will try F-15 quickstart and also the fix mod explained in the other topic.

Thanks to all, but there will be a solution, or I have to sell my FC2 license...

copy.pngfavicon.icofavicon.ico

Most modern laptops have replaceable graphic cards...

Did you set your power plan to "high performance" in Windows 7? This can have a huge impact on performance with a laptop.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit

That's a mistake: is more gpu-expensive flying over the land, than over the ocean.

Bit even with the Su-33 over the ocean, at 1'500 feet, fps are <30, and as soon I move my head or I touch the stick.... drops down to 8 or even 0 fps.

Now I'm doing some tests

My laptop does 30-40fps on the su33 quickstart mission.

W7 4gb m105 256mb grpahics.

Thats playing at 1368x768 (roughly) resolution.

Don't think my cards that different to yours (approx nvidia 9300)

view medium water normal heat blur off.

4487101677_d4e0712c9e_o.jpg

Edited by garengarch

Vega 2700x /16Gb ram/480Gb SSD/1Tb Seagate/nVidia 2080/Win 10 64 bit Rift. T-flight pedals.

looks like the GFX is realy weak, not a dedicated gamer GFX, maybe thats the problem

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Well don't just quickstart F-15 and sit there.

Did you try max/min settings while looking at the ground in F-15 quickstart to rule out a hardware/driver failure?

External view looking down also works. And it's not to check FPS, but to see if there's a difference in fidelity with maximum(incl max aa/af) and minimum settings.

i tried, but nothing to do.

There are difference between low/medium/high quality settings (I'm talking about FC2's settings), but almost for cockpit, lands and a bit for the plane, I can notice that the nose cone it's not a cone, but a pyramid.

I also enlarged the GPU's memory interface, from 64bit to 128bit, and also overclocked the core, memory and shader frequencies: in LOMAC I've got an FPS bunch even to 100-120 FPS, but in FC2, even with lowest settings, I can't fly.

I tried to overload the gpu with the desktop (in W7 the aero desktop took 100mb, and when I fly I set the normal desktop wich tooks 23mb) and some applications, to experiment what happens when LOMAC's fps goes below 24 (that is the minimum fps for our eyes), and I noticed that also with 20 fps is acceptable.

In FC2, with maximum performance and minimum quality, also with 25-30 fps it seems too slow and not fluid.

What's the problem?

copy.pngfavicon.icofavicon.ico

I also enlarged the GPU's memory interface, from 64bit to 128bit,
lolwut? That's impossible.

And bout that 24fps thing and our eyes not being able to perceive more is inaccurate. It's sufficient for movies because of blur and some other stuff, but it's a whole different story for pc monitors.

Actually the most important thing is imho minimum fps at any given time.

yes it's possible, I found on an italian forum how to do a low-level hardware tweaking eith the software RivaTuner: now the driver think that my card is a GeForce 8600M GS, so I can alter the memory bus width to 128 bit, and I also overclocked the GPU frequencies using ATITool, having impressive results in LOMAC.

The human eye can't feel any visual stimulus that happens in a time smaller than 0,35 seconds (approx), I remember from school.

However, I tried to puul down fps in LOMAC to 24 or below, and I can still control the aircraft with no problems.

Overclocking and laptop in the same sentence

... this is not going to end well

AMD Phenom II 965 BE @ 3.8GHz, 8GB OCZ AMD BE RAM, ATI HD5970 2GB XFX BE @ 875/1215, TM HOTAS Cougar, TM Cougar MFDs, TrackIR 5, CH MFP, GoFlight Switch Panel, iMo Mini-Monster Touch, Mimo 720S, Saitek Pro Flight Headset