FLAMING CLIFFS 2 - very low fps

Scipione

please don't use humorism or so, I can'y understand these tickness because I'm Italian.

I spent 22 € to buy the software, for my mistake I thought that my hardware was ok, but after I discovered that the turbocache is slow and maybe the gpu isn't ok. I don't find the money on the ground, and 22 € are about a work day's pay.

Now I want to understand how to fix it if is it possible, thanks to everyone who want to help me.

Carlo

Overclocking and laptop in the same sentence

... this is not going to end well

Hush.

My netbook is nicely overclocked. :)

Scipione, I hope you also have a method to see the temperature of those components. Now, laptops usually have more margin than most people think, but it's still good to be sure that you will not destroy anything.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

thank you EtheraIN, the temperatures are under my continuos control; however, when overclocked the gpu reach the maximum temperature after 10 minutes of intensive 3d use (after hours of computer power on), and also after 1 hour of 3d use the temperature remains below 70°C; the declared nVidia temperature of slow-down is above 120°C; the driver automatically shut down the gpu (and the system restores the driver with default clocks) if there're some trouble (I experimented).

I'm seriously consider to sell my license, to buy the FC1 one (if the requirements of FC1 are the same of LOMAC as I found over internet)...:helpsmilie:

Did your notebook come with that Windows 7? or did you install it over? did you install all win7 motherboard drivers (chipset, sata, sound, lan)? your computer should be able to play this game finer that you are experiencing. Perhaps you tweaked something and OS got somewhat corrupted, in that case a reinstall of the whole OS would be nice.

Also, use cpu-z and gpu-z (google them and download) to check everything is allright.

Wich is exactly your computer (brand and model)?

Edited by Distiler

AMD Ryzen 1400 // 16 GB DDR4 2933Mhz // Nvidia 1060 6GB // W10 64bit // Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2

my computer is described in the first post: HP DV6695EL, it comes with vista, i installed W7 Ultimate 32 bit, and also upgraded RAM to 4 GB (2x2GB) and installed a mod to use all 4 Gb instead of 3 GB. All driver correctly installed.

the gpu is a GeForce 8400M GS 128MB, turbocache 1GB, with ram bus width enhanced to 128 bit and overclocked for maximum performance.

I repeat, LOMAC works perfect, but FC2 doesn't. I can't understand what's the problem...

Did you use the Win7 upgrade kit from HP for DV6695EL model or you just installed a Win7 obtained through other means?

I can't see any option to download W7 software for this model. If you haven't used that kit, I really suggest you to re-fresh your system back to Vista (use the recovery DVD or partition) and start over with proper motherboard et al drivers.

EDIT: According to a HP table, there is no W7 upgrade path for DV6695EL. You could eventually find drivers from each piece manufacturer, but who knows if they will work. Notebooks are a kind of mistery XD

Edited by Distiler

AMD Ryzen 1400 // 16 GB DDR4 2933Mhz // Nvidia 1060 6GB // W10 64bit // Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2

I made the recovery DVD the same day I received the cpmputer: the original OS installed was extra slow.... 5 minutes to boot.... my god! The day after I installe Xp (and it was a trouble to find the drivers) but even with only 2GB RAM, it worked very well with IL2 1946, LOMAC an X-Plane.

Now I done a fresh installation of W7 Ultimate 32 Bit, and I found somewhere that the drivers for Vista and W7 was the same.

Now, to do a fresh installation, it's a big trouble... I'll try tomorrow...

Scipio

Vista and W7 drivers are not always the same.

Vista with Service Pack 2 is almost or in many cases the same in terms of perfomance as W7.

I really suggest to do a fresh Vista install. Then update all drivers and Service Pack. Don't mod neither the graphic card or the 4GB limit. Just test the game with a clean OS. You can try also with Vista 64, HP has drivers for that one.

yes it's possible, I found on an italian forum how to do a low-level hardware tweaking eith the software RivaTuner: now the driver think that my card is a GeForce 8600M GS, so I can alter the memory bus width to 128 bit
Then I'd like proof please (gpu-z). You can't just enhance the memory bus, which is a physical feature of the memory on the card, i.e. HARDware with just some SOFTware.

The human eye can't feel any visual stimulus that happens in a time smaller than 0,35 seconds (approx)
And as I said, this is different with different kinds of screens/monitors and is actually a more complex question than you think it is. Google it and you'll see. Try this: Click me

Tl;dr? 30fps is not the max for our eyes...

Then I'd like proof please (gpu-z). You can't just enhance the memory bus, which is a physical feature of the memory on the card, i.e. HARDware with just some SOFTware.

And as I said, this is different with different kinds of screens/monitors and is actually a more complex question than you think it is. Google it and you'll see. Try this: Click me

Tl;dr? 30fps is not the max for our eyes...

the 8400M GS and 8600M GS are the same, with the same memory bus; in the 8400M GS the memory bus is limited to 64 bit, but is possible to enhance it to 128 bit. here

about the fps, I was talking about 24-25 can be acceptable, even if aren't the maximum. however in lomac even on 24 or 22 fps I can still control the plane, meanwhile in FC2 even with 25-28 fps the I can't control the plane, I think there's a problem beyond graphics

Any trustworthy source other than some italian site? Because I can't find anything on it with google...

So I'll presume that this "soft-mod" makes your card appear as something it isn't. Would you be so kind to upload a GPU-Z screen?

Any trustworthy source other than some italian site? Because I can't find anything on it with google...

So I'll presume that this "soft-mod" makes your card appear as something it isn't. Would you be so kind to upload a GPU-Z screen?

Search in google something like: gpu soft mod. This technique is so old... But obviously you can't do it with everything. Let's not derail the thread.

This is the screenshot of GPU-Z, showing the effect of the "foft mod"

geforce8600enhanced.jpg.fdaf1036a2a3ee30d328c00d61c4d476.jpg

And this is the screenshot of GPU-Z showing the overclock's effects (not the maximum I reach)

geforce8600enhanced-overclocked.jpg.88de15cf427b6c9cc9247ab9b5dd097b.jpg

I repeat: the memory bus of 8400 and 8600 are the same, but in the 8400 it's limited to 64bit instead of 128bit; this, with different clocks, are the difference between 8400 and 8600.

FC2 should be faster than LO:FC in the majority of PC, so perhaps there's something wrong on your computer.

Check latest graphics drivers (nvidia 197.13 for desktop nvidia, 197.16 for laptop ones).

Check you have the latest directx9 (they are update if you let FC2 installator upgrade them).

Check you don't have FC2 installed in C:/program files.

Check antivirus, create an exception for FC2 folder.

Hello, Can someone tell me why it's not recommended to install FC2 in the default C:\Program Files\ directory?

please don't use humorism or so, I can'y understand these tickness because I'm Italian.

I spent 22 € to buy the software, for my mistake I thought that my hardware was ok, but after I discovered that the turbocache is slow and maybe the gpu isn't ok. I don't find the money on the ground, and 22 € are about a work day's pay.

Now I want to understand how to fix it if is it possible, thanks to everyone who want to help me.

Carlo

I wasn't being humorous, i was being honest.

Hush.

My netbook is nicely overclocked. :)

Scipione, I hope you also have a method to see the temperature of those components. Now, laptops usually have more margin than most people think, but it's still good to be sure that you will not destroy anything.

My guess would be that yours is nicely cooled and looked after as well.

My feeling is the OP is trying everything and grasping at straws to get a result and probably hasn't taken this into account.

AMD Phenom II 965 BE @ 3.8GHz, 8GB OCZ AMD BE RAM, ATI HD5970 2GB XFX BE @ 875/1215, TM HOTAS Cougar, TM Cougar MFDs, TrackIR 5, CH MFP, GoFlight Switch Panel, iMo Mini-Monster Touch, Mimo 720S, Saitek Pro Flight Headset

This is for people with Win7 and or Vista 64 bit OS, These new OS's have security protocol for constantly read ahead and and run system security check on the C:\ drive for possible virus and male-ware attacks so if you place a non-system program in this area it will flag it and slow it down for security threats. So basically to avoid this place in a non programs system area such as a partitioned drive, or a folder out-side the program files folder.

Hello, Can someone tell me why it's not recommended to install FC2 in the default C:\Program Files\ directory?

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

This is for people with Win7 and or Vista 64 bit OS, These new OS's have security protocol for constantly read ahead and and run system security check on the C:\ drive for possible virus and male-ware attacks so if you place a non-system program in this area it will flag it and slow it down for security threats. So basically to avoid this place in a non programs system area such as a partitioned drive, or a folder out-side the program files folder.

Thanks a lot Mastiff!

In your system - do you have a rough estimate on how much this slows it down?

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

I have BS in the C:/program files right now. I can uninstall it and reinstall it without losing a activation as long as no hardware changes have happened- to install it into a non directed system folder.

Because I actually have had to buy another lockon because of uninstalling.

If you want peace, prepare for war....

America's Armor

Dev Notes

AARM on Facebook

Help Fund AARM

miracle, range of 40-60 FPS, about 30-35 over the land (medium altitude), I did some dogfights, I tried also to use cannon against big slow movers aircaft and tried to get close shile flaming out.

But even if fps are above 30, sometimes it seems fps are actually minor, 15 instead of 30 as described.

This evening I'll try to do some carrier operation, and if ok I will try to do some hard dogfight to test.

Dudes, I never tried quickstart: suddendly appears Tornados and Hornets, too many! =)

Scipione I didn't read through all the thread. Although the FPS drop occurs mainly over water I think the cause is in a terrible big latency of system RAM compared to VRAM. When your graphics card is out of its VRAM it takes system RAM.

I suggest to minimize the amount of VRAM used. Set textures to low and scenes to low too, also disable antialiasing in graphics card control panel.

128 MB VRAM is too few nowadays.

929d768ca6a69127d1f9c61ea94c02e8.gif [sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] =653=Tez