Power Up/Dn; Jump into AI Aircraft; Next Waypoint.. and other questions?

I have a few questions and thought I would put them into one post. I did try a search for several of these but didn't find any recent posts since FC2 has come out.

1) Does (RAlt+J) Jump into AI Aircraft work?

I flew the Quick Start A10 mission and after I crashed I got an external view (F2) of my wingmen's A10 and pressed RAlt+J and it would not jump into the aircraft. I used to do this in Lockon and it worked fine, but it has been a while since I have flown any Lockon. Does this work? I assume it does not work Online, am I correct in that?

2) I cannot get the change Next Waypoint key to work.

I have tried it in Nav mode and ILS mode and other modes. I have pressed LCtrl+` and that did not work. I have checked my key assignments for the A10 and that is the correct keys.

3) Are the Specific Key Actions for Each Aircraft in the Options correct??

From the response the I received on some other posts, I understand that the key assignments are separate for each aircraft, and the keys for each aircraft are specific for that aircraft.

But I don't understand how that is correct. I see many keys for the A10 that don't make any sense?

For Example:

- Power Up/Dn - How do I use this with the A10? Am I missing how this works?

- Ship Takeoff position?

- 9 Autopilot commands? Is this true for the A10. In the old Lockon we had Alt and Throttle AP, and Waypoint (in Nav Mode) and Fly Straight (in A/G mode). That is all I remember. Are their more now?

- Does the A10 really use SPO mode? I don't know SPO at all.

What is the point of separating the key assignments if they still have incorrect commands available? Can somebody clear this up please? :helpsmilie:

Thanks for your help! :thumbup:

PS: Oh yea, and was the Throttle Hold autopilot command removed from the A10?

Edited by Snacko

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

Bump...

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

ED really needs to separate FC 1.1 and 2.0 section as 1.1 questions are still coming up occasionally and is confusing. I assume this is 2.0 question.

1. Never tried jumping so couldn't say but should try it. May be a good way to deal with stupid wingmen. Just fly it myself. Assuming that this works that is... Make sure jumping is enabled in the options.

2. Instead of just confirming the key assignment in the options, try re-assigning it even though correct key is already assigned. I'm not sure what the cause is but some of the keys on my keyboard are recognized differently in FC2.0. Next waypoint for example, even though it's ` key on my keyboard, the game recognizes it as something called "kanji". And \ key on my keyboard is actually recognized as ] key. And / key is recognized as "prev" Not really sure why this is... perhaps its because I have multiple language keyboard installed? But some of the keys, I had to remap them and works fine now.

3. Can't answer them all but I couldn't get auto following to work. I know A works for heading hold and use H a lot for altitude hold while scanning. But haven't used any other autopilot commands.

Thanks for the reply Ven!

1) I didn't now there was an option to be turned on. Hmm... Was that documented somewhere of did you just notice that? I'll give it a look in the options.

2) That is a very good point!!! And I am finally glad that I found someone with the same problem of keyboard keys!! I have had this problem for about 5 months. It only happens in IL2 and Lockon. In IL2 I have noticed that the \ reports as the ] key, and the ] key reports as the [ key. Also, in Lockon my TV Zoom key would not work, and I reassigned it and found out that the = key reports as the prev key, and the - key reports as something else that I cannot remember. It only happens in these two games, so I cannot figure out what could be causing it.

I had not thought of a language pack. I just checked my keyboard settings and didn't see anything unusual.

3) I am no A10 expert, but I seem to remember that A follows waypoints if you are in Nav mode and then flies straight if you are in A/G mode. And you also had Altitude Hold and Throttle Hold. But they seem to have removed Throttle Hold in FC2 for the A10 and added a bunch that look like they belong on the Su25t. Or does the A10 use all of these AP modes now? Guess I need to go and try them all somehow..

@Ven,

I found a solution to the keyboard character problem I have been having in the Logitech forums here.

I have had this problem on Win XP 64 and now Win 7 64 with both my old Saitek Cybork and now Logitech G19 keyboards. But it's not a keyboard problem even though the keyboard typed the wrong characters only in IL2 and Lockon. Here is what my keyboard reported/sent when I typed these keys in those games:

` reports as kanji

[ reports as AT

] reports as [

\ reports as ]

= reports as PREV

There's a more permanent solution to this issue you may be interested in trying, I stumbled on it after a couple of hours experimentation when I discovered the same problem in City of Heroes/Villains and my Saitek gamepad profiler.

If you use the Microsoft eHome remote/receiver (official media centre remote and USB receiver) you'll notice under your device manager you have a new device named Microsoft eHome MCIR 109 Keyboard; this is the cause of the tilde key not working. It also affects your plus, minus, parenthesis, hash, @, and slash keys remapping them to different functions. (some are even weird Kanji characters)

Solution is as follows and will not affect the functionality of your Media Centre remote:

1. Go into Device Manager -> Keyboards.

2. Right-click "Microsoft eHome MCIR 109 Keyboard", choose "Update Driver" ("Update Driver Software" on Vista).

3. Choose "Browse my computer for software" (XP users tell it not to install automatically and say you'll specify the location, then when it asks you where you would like it to search for drivers choose the option to choose from a list) then "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".

4. Make sure "show compatible hardware" is checked, then select "HID-compliant device" and click next. Click any remaining "OK" or "Finish" buttons after Windows has installed the driver.

By making it use the generic "HID-Compliant Device" driver it still retains whatever function it provided (although when testing I didn't find it gave ANY function, was more of a redundant device), but it will no longer interfere with games or applications which poll input in whatever specific manner causes them to be affected by this bug. Logitech staff might want to add this information to their knowledge base or sticky it somewhere for users of Microsoft's Media Centre Remote, as it will affect the G15 adversely in random games/applications otherwise.

I had to reboot after installing this generic HID Compliant Device. Then Lockon FC let me assign the correct keys.

Snack

Answering what I can:

1. That feature never worked for me in Lock On or Flaming Cliffs 1.12. I'm not sure if feature even exists. It might be a leftover broken feature from long ago.

2. Sounds like you have your solution. I didn't have problems with this one.

3. I noticed in the PDF files with key commands that there is some overlap in the funtions that doesn't apply to particular aircraft. "SPO" is referring to the radar warning receiver on the Russian planes. I've also seen something like "change expected target size" on the key card for the Su-27, which is obviously a function from the Su-25T.

Thanks for figuring that out Snako! I indeed have the eHome receiver and I will have to try that solution later tonight. Like you, LockOn was the only software that had the problem and it wasn't too much work remapping those keys but it certainly will be better to fix it the right way. Although this may be hardware related issue, ED may want to include this information in the FAQ because I found quite a few people reporting that certain keys don't work. Good find.

As for the cockpit jumping, I did try it last night and it worked. You just gotta enable cockpit jumping in the options. I used it to jump into my wingman's cockpit and fired the Mav's myself. Works beautifully. One thing to be careful though if you use cockpit jumping for this purpose is that if you jump into your wingman's cockpit while your plane is still in working order, it just keeps flying straight. Make sure you point it to neutral zone first and then jump into your wingman then fire the mavericks quick and then get back to your plane before it plummets into a mountain.

I wish the AI and wing management can be improved so I wont have to do this.

I also would like to know what Power Up/Down do. Was dinking around with it last night but seems to have no effect.

Edited by Ven