Tornado Digital Integration Strike Fighter PC Video Game ISBN 0928784762

HAVOC131

How great would it be to have this game redone by DCS. Anyone remember this one? 660mph at 75ft NAP of the earth hooking around SAM & AAA ranges to take out an enemy airfield. I miss that game.... Anyone still have it or better yet able to play it?

Very fond memories of this game. It was pretty much the only time that I planned missions longer than I flew them. I also enjoyed flying it's version of a semidynamic campaign. I'd have cobble together my P200 and Voodoo 2 card and find a place to put it, but then I could play the other classics. EF2000, Falcon 3 (and it's addons), Longbow 2, F-15 Strike Eagle 2, F-19 Stealth Fighter, M1 Tank Platoon; truly the golden age. I consider the manuals for those games among my favorite possessions, back when you knew what you were getting into based on how heavy the box was.

DI had a fun Hind and F-16 game also.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus G72GX | CPU: Core 2 Duo Overclocked @ 2.9Ghz | Memory 6GB DDR2 | Graphics Card: nVidia GTX 260m 1GB | OS: Windows 7 Home Premium | Monitor: Samsung 32" LCD

LOMAC 1.0 to FC 1.12 System RIP (2003-2010) | AMD Athlon 64 3000+ overclocked to 2565MHz | NVidia Geforce 7800 GS AGP 256 MB | 1GB Kingston PC2700 DDR DRAM | Windows 2000 with SP4

Their Apache Longbow and the Tornado ones I had - think I may have even played the Tornado one first on my Amiga before I (reluctantly, dragged kicking and screaming,) migrated to a PC.

I dug out both copies recently on a frenzied search for my old TFX CD :D

[ i7 2600k 4.6GHz :: 16GB Mushkin Blackline LV :: EVGA GTX 1080ti 11GB ]

[ TM Warthog / Saitek Rudder :: Oculus Rift :: Obutto cockpit :: Acer HN274H 27" 120Hz :: 3D Vision Ready ]

Ah yes, how could I forget Hind? Along with the MiG-29 addon for Falcon 3 and EA's Su-25 'Stormovik' a few years earlier, caused me to drift towards Eastern planes. I did lament that in all of DI's games after Tornado, the mission planner was scripted and neutered. That, and interaction was horribly limited. Maybe four commands you could give a wingman. But, I do miss dropping off soldiers. Still, there's ArmA/ArmA 2 for that.

I played many of these games before I moved a year and a half ago, and it's still like putting on an old suit. Other than going through the motions of memory managers and DOS 6 and what not, the only thing that is jarring to me today is playing games in 320x200.

oh the memories... when sims back then actually had great lil details outside the actual sim...like Janes Longbow with its great interface and manual and when you earned a medal you feel like you deserved it.

Janes Longbow is in my top 5, most enjoyable game for me

Falcon 3 had a war room and your wingman seemed like real characters...Falcon 4 scrapped all of it...did you guys know it was originally going to have a 3d war room? sometimes you need that flair and polish like EA did with Janes in their heyday

[...] M1 Tank Platoon; truly the golden age. I consider the manuals for those games among my favorite possessions, back when you knew what you were getting into based on how heavy the box was.

Amen to that mate. I actually bought M1TP2 last year for the manual, reminded me of a time when you actually used your imagination and HAD MORE FUN than most games nowadays.

(Command and Conquer is another one, with the in-game cut scenes with actual actors).

Too many cowboys. Not enough indians.

GO APE SH*T

I understand the environmental and cost cutting by issuing manuals in PDF/DOC format but how cool would it be to get the BS manual, in color, in the box? I remember looking at a new sim and if it didn't pass the weight test I most likely wouldn't get it. I do appreciate how much sims have evolved. I never got pass the basic flights for Falcon 3.0. I could barely run it my computer and there was not HOTAS in my life.

heh, well when I was at my previous job (big corporation) I printed out the entire manual in color and made a nice binder for the blackshark manual...I've yet to really dig into it, been doing things step by step slowly.

Oh and I also did the same for the gigantic manual for Falcon Allied Force...unfortunately once I learned it again I stopped playing to move on to BS...

BUT NOW...I'm on Flaming Cliff 2 lol...I'm working on printing out the manual and learning the controls for all the different aircraft

The weight test was indeed a valid point back in the day...except for F22 ADF which had a hefty manual but I did not like that sim at all...not a worthy successor to EF2000 v2.0 in my opinion.

Ahh, Tornado, what a great sim that was. Looking at it now the graphics look aweful, but back when it came out I remember thinking it was fantastic. But the best thing about the whole sim was the truly fantastic mission planner. IMHO no sim since has really come close to matching the planner that tornado had, but I live in hope that one day DCS will get there.

Oh and JP233, BEST WEAPON EVER!!!

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Ah, and another fun thing in Tornado, using the loft mode when tossing bombs. The mission planner was the only one I remember in which it also plotted the turns between waypoints.

As for manuals, one thing I enjoyed about Arnold Hendricks (who wrote most of the MicroProse manuals back in the day) was that he'd put in so much background information that it was an engrossing read, even when the sim didn't consider that level of detail. I think it was 1942: Pacific Air War that the manual was more spartan and "to-the-point", and I immediately knew that Hendricks wasn't writing the manuals anymore.

we need maps...like Falcon 3.0 came with maps of the theaters you could locate where you were based on the coordinates.

I'd like to get something like that for FSX...I don't know how accurate looking at real world flight maps would work with it...I would assume pretty well?

oh jes.. yes i can remember it too, it was hard to learn and challenge that sim..i had the version with upgrade "desert storm" mod

hehe i liked it, and agree..

to ED please build this module!)

TM HOTAS WH :joystick:, Saitek Pro Pedals, Track IR 4, 2xJoyWarrier, 1x KeyWarrior, i52500k @4600MHz, ASUS P8Z68-V Pro, NV 670GT, SSD+ WD BC+ WD Raptor, 32HD:pilotfly:[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

would definatly be good for base raids and SAM busting. Wich i love to do.

had the original SIm. Still have the box and disks in my game nostalgia shelf.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

What would it take to start the ball rolling on doing this sim again with DCS?

A contract for ED with a customer operating the Tonka and the subsequent agreement to make a public spin off.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

i think it will take several years again to realize a new plane project..or am i wrong?

TM HOTAS WH :joystick:, Saitek Pro Pedals, Track IR 4, 2xJoyWarrier, 1x KeyWarrior, i52500k @4600MHz, ASUS P8Z68-V Pro, NV 670GT, SSD+ WD BC+ WD Raptor, 32HD:pilotfly:[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What would it take to start the ball rolling on doing this sim again with DCS?

I believe they're doing A-10 first, so I'm guessing any other aircraft would have to come after that and that is still in the works.

After all DCS has not done anything with two seaters that I know of for some reason

correct, DCS has only done 1 aircraft at this point, the Ka-50 Black Shark. They're working on the second one, the A-10. Then they'll have 2 DCS aircraft and will presumably (hopefully) add more after that.

I think its possible what you need is the SDK then recruit a bunch of people who want the same aircraft as a flyable. A Tornado would make a good payware addon for DCS but limitations are:

1/ technical data on aircrafts avionics

2/ FM due to the swing wing

3/ A/G radar-not yet modelled in DCS/FC

4/ 2 seater

One good thing is that it is now no longer in service so its possible that they might one day release information on the Tornado. Some things worth doing would be to collect sound files of those Tornados still flying such as cockpit engine/undercarriage etc and external as well. As a payware addon a Tornado would sell quite well my request is a working arrester hook which no one has ever modelled for a tornado sim.:pilotfly:

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

One good thing is that it is now no longer in service so its possible that they might one day release information on the Tornado. :pilotfly:

?????

Erm, Tornados no longer in service? Someone should have told us that, especially as we're flying them on ops out in Afhanistan as we speak. In fact there are 2 on the pan just outside my office as I type this. ;)

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

I live next door to RAF Lossiemouth and it sure looks like Tornado GR-4's flying from there nearly every day :smilewink: The home of the current 617 Dambusters no less.

Ewan McGregors brother Colin used to fly GR-4's with 617 and still lives in my town.

I'd love ED to do a Tornado.

_1806991_pg_ewan6.jpg

Edited by M31

How capable is Tornado as fighter??

Not very. The GR4 is purely a strike aircraft, its role is similar to the F-15E, but it doesn't have an air to air capability beyond having 2 AIM-9s for self defence (which we often don't fit as having them can cause the stick/seat interface units (aka aircrew) to do stupid things like trying to fight back).

The F3 is classed as a fighter, but even the pilots will say that in a real fight they'd be shot down in seconds versus even an aircraft from the same era with a half competant pilot. They are fine for intercepting bombers, but that's it. Hence we are in the process of replacing them with the Typhoon.

Spoiler