Tornado Digital Integration Strike Fighter PC Video Game ISBN 0928784762

HAVOC131

?????

Erm, Tornados no longer in service? Someone should have told us that, especially as we're flying them on ops out in Afhanistan as we speak. In fact there are 2 on the pan just outside my office as I type this. ;)

My mistake it must have been the Jaguars that I was thinking of, I see there is a few Squadrons still flying them however I was under the impression eventually they'll be getting replaced by Eurofighters. It will be more difficult then to have a DCS level addon then as they are quite strict on any information on such aircraft.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

My mistake it must have been the Jaguars that I was thinking of, I see there is a few Squadrons still flying them however I was under the impression eventually they'll be getting replaced by Eurofighters. It will be more difficult then to have a DCS level addon then as they are quite strict on any information on such aircraft.

Yeah, the Jags were retired in 2007. At the moment only the Tornado F3 is being replaced by the mighty 'phoon. The GR4s will remain in service alongside the Typhoon for quite a while to come (unless the govt decide to have more defence cuts).

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Great to have you with us Eddie. Thank you for your service. I never got to fly aircraft, just jump out of them...

Which In My Opinon is a lot more fun...

http://www.raf.mod.uk/equipment/jaguar.cfm

Having the Jag GR3a would be Pretty good though, but the Tonka GR4 would be better.

(unless the govt decide to have more defence cuts).

Which they will...

Did you know that the Gov't, after WW2, was thinking of getting rid of the Planes and have a missile defence around the UK..

Edited by joey45

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Hahaha yeah.. That's an old one Joey. Also linked to US Phantoms not having guns in Vietnam. And the UK not having any aircraft carriers capable of defending themselves.

The Jaguar in its last [modernised] incarnation had a very good HMCS apparently, don't know if the Eurofighter has it yet?

Erm.. Back on topic.. I'd love a Tornado sim just for the low level flying. They come overhead (Lake District), I've always wanted a go.

F3 sim? No thanks lol.

Too many cowboys. Not enough indians.

GO APE SH*T

Which they will...

Did you know that the Gov't, after WW2, was thinking of getting rid of the Planes and have a missile defence around the UK..

Indeed, there are some nasty rumours floating around the RAF at the moment. Talk of more Harrier cuts and 2 more GR4 Sqns getting the chop.

don't know if the Eurofighter has it yet?

Yes and no. In testing, but not yet in operational service.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Indeed, there are some nasty rumours floating around the RAF at the moment. Talk of more Harrier cuts and 2 more GR4 Sqns getting the chop.

Yup, RAF Lossie and nearbye RAF Kinloss as well as the local community are bracing themselves for MOD cuts, The Nimrod MR-2's at Kinloss are now gone and the MR-4 aint ready! a ridiculous state of affairs. The F35 JSF was slated to go to RAF Lossie as well as carriers in 2016, but I'm beginning to think its a bit of a white elephant ... I doubt we'll see it up here now, even if it does go into production.

It's been the same for the last [30] years? A true shame, but what can you do? The irritating thing is that I doubt there's much economical spending, instead just 'BAe or else'.

Cheers for the info Eddie, keep up the good work (whatever it is :))

Too many cowboys. Not enough indians.

GO APE SH*T

Cheers for the info Eddie, keep up the good work (whatever it is :))

Me too Eddie, what do you do in the RAF out of interest at RAF Coningsby?

My Dad was an RAF 21 year serving guy ... as an RAF brat kid of the RAF we saw RAF Akrotiri, (Cyprus) RAF Topcliffe, (England) RAF Machrihanish, (Scotland) RAF Wildenrath (West Germany) Finally for him ... RAF Kinloss Scotland and our family birthplace close to Inverness. They were mostly 3 year tours, so we got to understand a lot of different countrys and live with them (for three years) I miss them all ... as a kid I lived at RAF Macrihanish with American kids based there at the same time ... we had great fun together, same as the local German kids (By then I was about 13 to 16) so much more fun ... I barely remember our three years in Cyprus though.

Apart from ... we lived in Limasoll in Cyprus, my Dad who was always a keen astronomer, woke me up ... he was saying this is important you have to see it ... it was the live moon landings.

Bless him ... and I'll never forget that. and have carried on my Astronomy interest thanks to him.

Hence my user name ... M31 is the Andromeda Galaxy.

Edited by M31

Me too Eddie, what do you do in the RAF out of interest at RAF Coningsby?

I'm logistics, currently looking after all the avionics components on the 'phoon. Not the most glamourous job in the world, but it's certainly interesting. Prior to this I was on 29 Sqn here at Coningsby, and before that I worked witht he E-3Ds from Waddington. As well as a few other more random non aircraft jobs here and there.

Spoiler

I'm logistics, currently looking after all the avionics components on the 'phoon. Not the most glamourous job in the world, but it's certainly interesting. Prior to this I was on 29 Sqn here at Coningsby, and before that I worked witht he E-3Ds from Waddington. As well as a few other more random non aircraft jobs here and there.

Thanks for your service. :thumbup:

I hope ED do not simulate a two-man bird. The fidelity they approach their modelling with, it will be very, very hard work. Literally the work of two men. That goes for the Mi-24 and AH64.

The KA-50 was an ideal choice as it was designed to be single-pilot operation; the automation reflects this.

I miss DI's Tornado as much as the next sim enthusiast, but I think it's time to let go.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I hope ED do not simulate a two-man bird. The fidelity they approach their modelling with, it will be very, very hard work. Literally the work of two men.

That's why you fly it with a friend :D. Twin seat multi-player, the holy grail of flight sims.

Spoiler

Perhaps, but I do an awful lot of SP too. One way round it would be a customisable / plannable AI that allows you to effectively work as a gunner / observer in a helo. Ordering the pilot into several prescribe maneuvers: 'Hover' 'Break right with flares / Break left with flares' 'Orbit' etc.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I miss DI's Tornado as much as the next sim enthusiast, but I think it's time to let go.

Did (sic) You really play Digital Integrations Tornado and Desert Storm add on?

I don't think so, somehow.

It not letting go, or clinging on, its a reminder from the old school what we like and why we are passionate about it.

The more I get into the series the more I want them to to do a two seater, of course that could be a Tornado, but it probably wont be ... but at least we try.

BTW ... I'm building a 1/32 Tornado GR4 model kit as a shrine to the local RAF Lossie Tonka's. Here are my kit parts so far including my hacking away the wing parts to make way for resin slats and flaps.

April2010029.jpg

When its finished it will look something like this.

dscn2936.jpg

Did (sic) You really play Digital Integrations Tornado and Desert Storm add on?

Yep, still got the CD. It was very good (mission planner is still unparalleled) but my point is we've come so far that simulating a two-man aeroplane would now be terrifyingly complex.

Tornado was very well executed in that it was kept just simple enough to play on your own, and having a near-perfect learning curve. I don't think any sim has managed the LGB delivery as enjoyably as Tornado did, with the mouse control.

F4AF has probably come the closest for me, in terms of immersion and 'being part of something'.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DI's Tornado... JP233 baby! And the toss-bomb attacks *sigh*

As for the F3 not being much of a fighter - I used to pwn those MiG29's with just guns!

I used to have terrible trouble with colliding with enemy fighters in the F3, especially if I tried to scissor or barrel roll.

I liked the simple tactical model. >20k feet, safe from Sams and AAA, but at risk from fighters. Also, there was the minimum engagement height for sams as well - something like <100ft? If you could get down there you'd basically be untouchable, but the TFR autopilot wouldn't go that low, so it was by hand.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more nostalgic I get!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

WOW!! Amazing model you've made. :thumbup:

Wish i was that good... Or just half as good :D

That's not my built model, the kit parts picture is :) Mine will be a RAF 617 Dambuster Tonka from my local RAF Lossiemouth base, but it will look something like that.