Bird Percentage

It simply increases the chances of having a catastrophic engine failure during take-off. It becomes a bit of a nuisance after a while. Best to keep it low, or off completely IMHO.

Windows 10 64bit

Intel i7 9700K

Corsair H80i v2 Hydro Cooler

EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XC Ultra

32GB RAM

ASUS Z390 Maximus XI

Samsung 970 EVO 1tb NVMe Solid State Drive

EVGA Gold 1000w

HTC Vive Pro VR

Not only during takeoff - afaik it applies to all low-level flight.

What the exact percentages mean I don't know, though.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Okaaayyy. I thought that it would show birds flying around and stuff, ya know, more eye-candy. At least that would explain why my SU-25T kept blowing an engine on take-off. You're right, its a pain in the A. Turning that feature off next boot up...

No visible birds, but you'll definitely know cuz you'll suddenly get a dead engine and a fire warning :D

Had it happen to me several times. The most catasrophic was when I was doing a low pass between two C-17's on the tarmac LOL!

Not really any point to visible birds either - you won't have time to react anyway. :P

Saw a HUD cam from an A10 on training once, where there's suddenly a big bird trying a 90-degree alpha turn, then slam with a loud shriek on the radio.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Would be nice to have a clue what the % represents.. is it modelled on actual bird migrationary patterns in the region (hilarious to think it might be, or that research was done to this effect)? Does this fluctuate so you have less at night time, but peaks at sunrise / sundown as activity changes or do I have as equal chance at midday as I do at midnight of playing chicken with actual chickens?

[ i7 2600k 4.6GHz :: 16GB Mushkin Blackline LV :: EVGA GTX 1080ti 11GB ]

[ TM Warthog / Saitek Rudder :: Oculus Rift :: Obutto cockpit :: Acer HN274H 27" 120Hz :: 3D Vision Ready ]

are ai planes included by the bird strikes? Do the bird strike areas cover the whole map, or can areas be selected?

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

Not quite what I was after but interesting to know. More like given 100% setting, what are my actual chances of a normal take off or landing being impacted before I exceed the 200m ceiling, 1% of takeoffs, one in a thousand, etc.

Not too worried using it as a below-radar / ballistics miscalculation deterrent, but rather how much annoyance vs. realism factor I would have in dealing with this.

I actually like going through a campaign etc. with 'the same' pilot rather than one who dies in service and then comes back to life for another attempt, I do what I can to stay alive even when otherwise it's moot because the game doesn't care too much whether you fully crash and burn or make it to the ground alive in your chute.

[ i7 2600k 4.6GHz :: 16GB Mushkin Blackline LV :: EVGA GTX 1080ti 11GB ]

[ TM Warthog / Saitek Rudder :: Oculus Rift :: Obutto cockpit :: Acer HN274H 27" 120Hz :: 3D Vision Ready ]

The 100% setting represents what is calculated to be realistic overall probability of encountering a bird strike at low altitude. By default, bird strike probability begins at 200 meters and increases down to the surface.

Thank you EB.

At 10m or less you may end up with this kind of birdstrike. If you manage to land then thats even better, you get to remove them yourself.

Don't be silly. Only in Black Shark you get bird strikes from behind :)

I can remember plucking birds when I was young,,,,,,,,,,,,but we used to boil them first not roast.

Shad

RyZen5 3600x, MSI GamingX RX 5700xt, AX-370-K7, 16 Gig G-Skil 3200 :thumbup:, Antec 650w (Still),Win10 on 256G 870 NVMe, 860+850 Evo for Apps, 2x1TB WD HDs for :music_whistling:, TR5 :detective:, Hog stick:joystick:, 3x TM MFD Bezels. a 32" AOC, @ 2560x1440, no floppy & a crappy chair :pain:. Its hard to find a chair that accepts you as you grow.:pilotfly:

Birds are visible, saw a flock of about 20 today when I was flying the 2nd A10 mission, didn't hit them but was looking for a ZSU 23 over my shoulder and the past by very close, about 1000ft high, either that or it was bits of my wingtip flying off as I sustained some small damage.

Not really any point to visible birds either - you won't have time to react anyway. :P

Saw a HUD cam from an A10 on training once, where there's suddenly a big bird trying a 90-degree alpha turn, then slam with a loud shriek on the radio.

Well, you will see a bird if it's big enough like in this video. But, as it was said, there is never time enough to react.

gc-XiO4ojzk

Edited by golfsierra2

kind regards,

Raven....

[sigpic]http://www.crc-mindreader.de/CRT/images/Birds2011.gif[/sigpic]

Birds are visible, saw a flock of about 20 today when I was flying the 2nd A10 mission, didn't hit them but was looking for a ZSU 23 over my shoulder and the past by very close, about 1000ft high, either that or it was bits of my wingtip flying off as I sustained some small damage.
Whatever you saw, it was not birds. There are no visible birds in the sim.

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

Haven't purchased FC2 yet, but I just assumed the new bird strike feature meant there were actually....well...birds. That's pretty stupid in my opinion. In real life, pilots avoid birds when they see them (though they certainly can be brought down by one's they don't). I'm sure many of you have seen the youtube video where a blue angel pilot giving a VIP ride pulls up to vertical early after takeoff and then apologizes to the passenger for the unexpected pull because he saw birds ahead. Bird strikes without birds is nothing more than random engine failure. I guess I didn't think it'd be that hard to have little animated birds in the game. When I purchase the game....I'll definitely be turning that feature OFF.

^^

^^ ^^ ^^

^^

L---^>

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

Gawd that makes me hungry for a F-16 DCS module!

:pilotfly:

You mean a BAE Hawk DCS module.

That pic is of one of our F-16's at an airshow, it had trouble keeping rpm, had to jettison droptanks, atc guided him to an ejection point, but he managed to keep in the air barely. Landed safely afterwards.

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy:

You mean a BAE Hawk DCS module.

That pic is of one of our F-16's at an airshow, it had trouble keeping rpm, had to jettison droptanks, atc guided him to an ejection point, but he managed to keep in the air barely. Landed safely afterwards.

Almost true, the pilot wanted to eject, reached for the eject handle 3 times, but wasn't allowed to by ATC because he was still in control (barely) and it was at an airshow.

The fueltanks came down 300 meters from the campsite where we were staying, everything there smelled like kerosene.

The pilot managed to land safely, with his EPU running.

At the end of the day, I talked to some guys from 313 Sqn, and they told me it was their most experienced pilot.

According to them, any other pilot would have ejected right away, especially after the second engine surge, which happened on the downwind leg of the circuit.

Here is a video of the entire incident:

ZA2qMJA23wI

Dutch Flanker Display Team | LLTM 2010 Tiger Spirit Award

Bird strikes in fc2 are to prevent the people that were flying below 10m and not getting hit by missiles. The only missile that could track them were heaters. By the time you got close enough to them, you had a missile coming at you. Yes, people still try to do this in fc2, but I'm talking about on-line flying not single player. People fly unrealistically that is something that will never change.

Don't forget the AIM-120 and R-77 in FC2 will hit you when your lower than 10M now :)

The 100% setting represents what is calculated to be realistic overall probability of encountering a bird strike at low altitude. By default, bird strike probability begins at 200 meters and increases down to the surface.

Yes but with 100% setting engine troubles are a bit too frequent! I can't say that's realistic 'cause you'd have 2 or 3 engine flamouts daily with every major airport. With my FC2.0 experience I guess I had like 10 bird strikes so far in 40 something takeoffs I managed to pull in the last 4 weeks since I installed it!

Imagine Frankfurt with 150+ flights with 5 birdstrikes each day, scary if true!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]