SR-71 Blackbird article

EtherealN

Very nice article about the SR-71 Blackbird by Major Brian Shul:

http://gizmodo.com/5511236/the-thrill-of-flying-the-sr+71-blackbird

My personal favourite is the retelling of a few aircraft asking ATC for ground speed checks. :D

• Like 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Nice read and sweet models SuperKungFu!

I'm real proud to have sitten in a SR-71 cockpit standing next to a real M-21 Blackbird at Museum of Flight in Seattle, WA. It felt awesome and everytime I read something like this article my mind wanders away =D

Core i5-760 @ 3.6Ghz, 4GB DDR3, Geforce GTX470, Samsung SATA HDD, Dell UH2311H 1920x1080, Saitek X52 Pro., FreeTrack homemade cap w/ LifeCam VX-1000, Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1.

FreeTrack in DCS A10C (64bit): samttheeagle's headtracker.dll

My personal favourite is the retelling of a few aircraft asking ATC for ground speed checks. :D

LOL :megalol: Funny story :pilotfly::thumbup:

Atop the midnight tarmac,

a metal beast awaits.

To be flown below the radar,

to bring the enemy his fate.

HAVE A BANDIT DAY !

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong." - R. Buckminster Fuller (1895 - 1983), American Architect, Author, Designer, Inventor, and Futurist

Thanks for sharing.... Great pics of that engine

Mach 3.5 :P

The passage when he describes what its like with no lights on in cockpit is dream like......:)

I prefer the A12 because theres no backseat :)

Intel i5 7600K @ 4.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4 @ 3200MHz | MSI RTX 4060 Gaming X 8G | WD Black NVMe 2TB | Sound Blaster Audigy RX | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | Corsair H80i v2 | Corsair RM750x | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Flight Pack | TrackIR 5 | Windows 10 Home 64-bit |

Sig1.png

Found this in case anyone wants some info on the Project Oxcart A12 Archangel program

http://www.foia.cia.gov/a12oxcart.asp

Edited by SAM77

Intel i5 7600K @ 4.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4 @ 3200MHz | MSI RTX 4060 Gaming X 8G | WD Black NVMe 2TB | Sound Blaster Audigy RX | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | Corsair H80i v2 | Corsair RM750x | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Flight Pack | TrackIR 5 | Windows 10 Home 64-bit |

Sig1.png

• 2 weeks later...
Not sure if it wasn`t exactly sams that accomplished that, cause AFAIK SR-71 didn`t have so many flights over russian territory (more info needed though), maybe AF took a lesson from the U-2`s fate ;)

There is still NO public evidence of SR-71 EVER flying above the Soviet territory. But there are numerous mentions of their typical tactics of flying along the border and occasionally crossing the borderline a bit, provoking the defence system to react and bring up all the radars, communications etc. As a Mig-31 pilot (who actually did fly on those intercepts) said, they did that, but they plotted their course in such a way so their pieces would never fall on land to the inner side of the border.

There is still NO public evidence of SR-71 EVER flying above the Soviet territory. But there are numerous mentions of their typical tactics of flying along the border and occasionally crossing the borderline a bit, provoking the defence system to react and bring up all the radars, communications etc. As a Mig-31 pilot (who actually did fly on those intercepts) said, they did that, but they plotted their course in such a way so their pieces would never fall on land to the inner side of the border.

can an s-300 bring down an sr-71?

Flight manuals , photos, and more cool stuff.

http://www.sr-71.org/

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Yeah Hitch - it was first mentioned in a book by the same author.

Also, people need to stop thinking that ausairpower.net is authoritative about anything. It's a "thinktank" funded by gaming adverts... ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

• 2 years later...
Try to get your hands on that book. It will answer all your questions :)

It includes MiG-31 interception tables etc.

Agreed. I have a copy and it covers pretty much everything plus some.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup: