Getting a fixed cockpit instrument view

TAIPAN_

Hi,

For FC2 I've set my bottom monitor to show the cockpit instruments (i.e. ViewDy=-0.8)

It works fine without trackir, however when I move my head to look around the cockpit, it also moves my bottom instrument view.

How can I turn off head tracking just for the bottom view or set it to a fixed view?

I only want head tracking on the top view.

This is my camera.lua:

_ = function(p) return p; end;

name = _('2 Screens');

Description = 'Configuration with 2 monitors each with its own camera';

Viewports =

{

Center =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = 1920;

height = 1080;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0.2;

aspect = 1.777777777777778;

},

Bottom =

{

x = 1920;

y = 0;

width = 1280;

height = 1024;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = -0.8;

aspect = 1.25;

}

}

Look at the attachment to see what I mean, ignore the fact that the monitor is on the right in windows, in phyiscla is below:

IMG_5249.thumb.jpg.4fd677d59daa668fe16cc75d06795b33.jpg

Edited by TAIPAN_
  • Like 1

Pimax Crystal VR & Simpit User | Ryzen CPU & Nvidia RTX GPU | Some of my mods

Hi,

For FC2 I've set my bottom monitor to show the cockpit instruments (i.e. ViewDy=-0.8)

It works fine without trackir, however when I move my head to look around the cockpit, it also moves my bottom instrument view.

How can I turn off head tracking just for the bottom view or set it to a fixed view?

I only want head tracking on the top view.

This is my camera.lua:

name = _('2 Screens');

Viewports =

{

Center =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = 1920;

height = 1080;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0.2;

aspect = 1.777777777777778;

},

Bottom =

{

x = 1920;

y = 0;

width = 1280;

height = 1024;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = -0.8;

aspect = 1.25;

}

}

Look at the attachment to see what I mean, ignore the fact that the monitor is on the right in windows, in phyiscla is below:

What kind of OS do you have? Win XP or Win7? What kind of options for video card for two monitors should be (for vertical and for horizontal)? I have altered yours lua script under the dimension of the monitors. In options LO 2.0 has appeared 2 screens. The game is started\downloaded, but on the second monitor it is appear nothing ((. I have Win7.

Lovp does not show full cockpit and radar. Also data export lua doesn't work online mostly.

To make my config work, screens have to be setup left to right in windows. Even though phsically I have them vertical. This way is because horizontal always delivers much better fps.

I have also improved on this slightly by making th cockpit portion zoomed in and now I no longer need it to keep still for trackir because zoomed it is better.

Also done with black shark, my lower touchscreen becomes flickable buttons for my fingers in the cockpit :)

Edited by TAIPAN_

I have 2 monitors: 1680*1050, 1280*1024. My config:

name = _('2 Screens');

Viewports =

{

Center =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = 1680;

height = 1050;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0.2;

aspect = 1.6;

},

Bottom =

{

x = 1680;

y = 0;

width = 1280;

height = 1024;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = -0.8;

aspect = 1.25;

}

}

The second screen monitor displays nothing. Where my error? In customisations of game a full screen or a window mode?

Ahh yes options.lua.

Your res will just be your main monitor res.

However you must set width=2960

I.e. Set width to both screens combined width

That should do it :)

If you find the cockpit second view too small let me know. I found a trick to zoom in only that view.

How?

Plus as TrackIR user will the cockpit view still move around or is it static? i.e

Monitor 1................Monitor 2

[ Main View ] [ Cockpit zoomed view ]

Yes trackir both of them will move. The original intention of this thread was to ask if anyone could make the cockpit view stay put.

However after I zoomed it, I found I liked it moving too. For example to turn to the right and see if ECM is on, or to turn to the left to check gear.

To zoom it, I just tricked it into thinking the second monitor was larger, and layered it behind the main view.

So for Corvus's setup, it would change to this:

Bottom =

{

x = 1480; "this is 200 less than real"

y = 0;

width = 1680; "this is 400 more than real

height = 1024; "this stays the same

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = -0.8;

aspect = 1.640625; "new aspect ratio"

},

Center =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = 1680;

height = 1050;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0.2;

aspect = 1.6;

}

PLUS, you must increase width in your options.lua by 200.

What the above will do, is put 200 extra pixels to the left of your right hand cockpit monitor, but it will be hidden under the main screen because it is layered first.

And it will also put another 200 pixels right of the right hand cockpit screen - but this will go into thin air, because you will only increase your width by 200 not 400 in options.lua.

So in reality, for your cockpit instrument view, you are only seeing 1280 out of 1680 pixels, therefore it appears to be "zoomed", even though the system thinks it matches the zoom of the larger wider main screen above.

Confused yet? It works well though once you get it setup. :pilotfly:

• Like 1

Ahh yes options.lua.

Your res will just be your main monitor res.

However you must set width=2960

I.e. Set width to both screens combined width

That should do it :)

If you find the cockpit second view too small let me know. I found a trick to zoom in only that view.

Thanks! Works!:)

Yes trackir both of them will move. The original intention of this thread was to ask if anyone could make the cockpit view stay put.

However after I zoomed it, I found I liked it moving too. For example to turn to the right and see if ECM is on, or to turn to the left to check gear.

To zoom it, I just tricked it into thinking the second monitor was larger, and layered it behind the main view.

So for Corvus's setup, it would change to this:

Bottom =

{

x = 1480; "this is 200 less than real"

y = 0;

width = 1680; "this is 400 more than real

height = 1024; "this stays the same

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = -0.8;

aspect = 1.640625; "new aspect ratio"

},

Center =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = 1680;

height = 1050;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0.2;

aspect = 1.6;

}

PLUS, you must increase width in your options.lua by 200.

What the above will do, is put 200 extra pixels to the left of your right hand cockpit monitor, but it will be hidden under the main screen because it is layered first.

And it will also put another 200 pixels right of the right hand cockpit screen - but this will go into thin air, because you will only increase your width by 200 not 400 in options.lua.

So in reality, for your cockpit instrument view, you are only seeing 1280 out of 1680 pixels, therefore it appears to be "zoomed", even though the system thinks it matches the zoom of the larger wider main screen above.

Confused yet? It works well though once you get it setup. :pilotfly:

Ah, yep, I get it. I'll give it a go - thanks for the info

• 1 month later...
Hi,

this is amazing, and it works almost perfect, but in my case it isnt layered behind the main, its in the front...can youe help me?

Cheers

Hi Brainstormer, I haven't seen your setup but maybe swap the center and bottom around, because it's the second one that's layered on top I believe.

TAIPAN, could you pls post more photos of your 2-monitor cockpit with more examples of the views that you like (right-left etc.).

Much thanks,

Sabre.

Can do when I get back home. I have a 30 inch screen on top now :) with the 24 inch below.

Physical right-left is no good with 2 monitors, since the hud would be split down the middle where the screens join. You would need 3 monitors for that - one view forward, one view left, and one view right.

For 2 monitors, I use one view center/top, and one view bottom.

The other thing is that in windows you should set them up left-right, so when your mouse moves to the right of your top monitor it then starts on the left of your bottom monitor.

I have done testing and confirmed get much better frame rates this way. Rendering so many vertical pixels is harder than rendering more horizontal.

Will post more photos in a few days.

Latest pics now attached.

This is the monitor stand I am using: http://www.atdec.com.au/Content_Common/pr-Visidec_VISIDEC-Focus-Freestanding-Double-Vertical.seo

I find with my new 30" monitor, it gives me lots of view already.

While I use the second screen for shkval + ABRIS in black shark because there's a real second output for that, in FC2 I probably won't.

With the 2560x1600 on my main monitor, now all those extra pixels of the second one are actually slowing my frame rate down from 60 to 30. I guess I'm reaching my nvidia memory now.

However if you have 1920x1080 or less on your main, yes this works excellent!

I hope ED puts in a patch to allow us to output FC2 MFD/Shkval onto second viewport just like DCS does. They use the same engine now so it couldn't be too hard. Please :D

My latest test settings are below. I didn't do the overlap this time because of frame rate issues with me hitting my cards memory size.

Center is the bottom.

Top is the top.

In options.lua I set fullscreen = false and width = the width of both together.

name = _('2 Screens Dan');

Viewports =

{

Center =

{

x = 2560;

y = 0;

width = 1920;

height = 1080;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = -0.6;

aspect = 1.7777777777;

},

Top =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = 2560;

height = 1600;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0.4;

aspect = 1.6;

}

}

IMG_0106.thumb.JPG.89119c295a479cd8d0f237fbb7334178.JPG

IMG_0107.thumb.JPG.9c23c538dc829513209bb09577f718f4.JPG

IMG_0108.thumb.JPG.c84fc8335b5879bbf638b07eff224f8c.JPG

Edited by TAIPAN_

Hi Taipan

my .lua looks like this

name = _('2 Screens Dan');

Viewports =

{

Bottom =

{

x = 1720;

y = 0;

width = 1424;

height = 768;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = -0.8;

aspect = 1.640625;

},

Center =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = 1920;

height = 1200;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0.2;

aspect = 1.6;

}

in options.lua width +200 (3344)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

another "bug" is, you cant join a Server in the Multiplayer-Mode, because the buttons for briefing and fly are not displayed on the monitor:-(

On the Singleplayer-Screen everything is fine.

Here a Pic of my Setup without zooming the Bottom:

Cheers

IMAG0012.thumb.jpg.8d924681017591db8e4979482569e090.jpg

another "bug" is, you cant join a Server in the Multiplayer-Mode, because the buttons for briefing and fly are not displayed on the monitor:-(

On the Singleplayer-Screen everything is fine.

Cheers

Try the attached modman package, note that if you can't see something still - you will have to edit these resource files for the co-ordinates of the buttons.

See if it works for your settings, may need some tweaking but if you can click the buttons you can get in.

Buttons moved around so you can get to them.

I wish ED would fix the multiplayer screen not working for multimonitors, it happens for DCS too!

FC2MultimonitorMultiplayerScreens.rar

DCSMultimonitorMultiplayerScreens.rar

Edited by TAIPAN_

Good pics thanks. Don't you find the top monitor a bit too high for your normal POV? Usually I don't like when the upper frame of the monitor is above my head.

Sabre.

It's good for posture :megalol:, so I don't sit here like a hunchback I have to sit back in my chair :)

And it's like a real cockpit, the top of the screen is view of what's above, and the bottom is below your head.

It's good for posture :megalol:, so I don't sit here like a hunchback I have to sit back in my chair :)

And it's like a real cockpit, the top of the screen is view of what's above, and the bottom is below your head.

Well, I'd say it looks/feels different in the cockpit. The POV by no means feels buried or depressed in the cockpit. I haven't flown military helis though. Your concept is great but I'd think how to arrange monitors lower before taking it on.

Sabre.

Edited by Sabre

G'day Guys

I was hoping to pick your brains regarding mult-monitor setups.

I've moved my desk around and finally aquired a mini-display to DVI adaptor and want to get a similar display setup to the one your running (smaller screen below the main screen to display dials).

Im having all sorts of trouble getting it right however. What is happening is the main screen displays correctly, however the second screen (below) shows what is immediately to the right of the main screen and only fills the left half of the screen (right hand side displays desktop).

I can't for the life of me figure it out. Specs are as follows:

27" iMac Display - Primary monitor running in native 2560x1440 (FC2 set to this res in window mode).

Apple 22" display running native 1680x1050 (set in windows to the right of primary screen).

.lua as follows:

---

name = _('2 Screens');

Description = 'Two monitors each with own camera';

Viewports =

{

Center =

{

x = 2560;

y = 0;

width = 1680;

height = 1050;