Question to dedicated servers admin

Azrayen

Hello Guys

My team currently runs a dedicated server with LO 1.12. We had to work around some graphical issues, as our server doesn't have a "real" GPU (being a "standart" server, it uses a basic chipset), but it worked "just fine enough" to play on 1.12.

- Do the big servers (HL like) you run have a real GPU ?

- If No, were you able to run FC2 (or BS, as it's more or less the same thing) ?

- If Yes, could you say me who is your server provider ?

I tried installing FC2 on our server, but I can't launch the main menu (launcher.exe) (opengl32.dll related error). I know that I don't really need launcher.exe to run a MP game (which needs simulator.exe), but I wanted to check that before purchasing a licence...

Thanks by advance for all tips, pieces of advice... :)

Cheers

Az'

spacer.png

I think you'll get a bit more attention from server admins over here in the MP section, I moved it over here.

As for LO1.12 - I cannot speak for that.

But for FC2 (server) you'll need a graphics adapter as specified in the minimum specs: http://lockon.co.uk/index.php?end_pos=1322&scr=shop

Minimal system requirements: Windows XP, Vista, 7; CPU P4 2 GHz; RAM 2 Gb; Video nVidia/ATI 256 Mb RAM, DirectX9; 6 Gb of free space on HDD; Sound card; Copy protected, requires internet activation.

Recommended system requirements: Windows XP, Vista, 7; CPU Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD X2; RAM 3 Gb; Video 512 Mb RAM (ATI Radeon HD4850 or nVidia GF8800), DirectX9; 6 GB of free space on HDD; Sound card; Copy protected, requires internet activation; Joystick.

So looking for a provider that can offer you a server within those specs would be wise. :)

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

- Do the big servers (HL like) you run have a real GPU ?

- If No, were you able to run FC2 (or BS, as it's more or less the same thing) ?

- If Yes, could you say me who is your server provider ?

51st:

- Yes, we run our main server with a Nvidia 7600 GS

- Cant help, as we run it from one of our members own house

Edited by X-man

2075291193_EDSig.png.650cd56f2b9a043311112721c4215a47.png

64th Aggressor Squadron
Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron
TS: 135.181.115.54

I think you'll get a bit more attention from server admins over here in the MP section, I moved it over here.

Whoops, haven't seen this section. Thanks Panzertard :)

But for FC2 (server) you'll need a graphics adapter as specified in the minimum specs: http://lockon.co.uk/index.php?end_pos=1322&scr=shop

Well, our current server is way under those specs, but also way under the FC1 minimum specs. And it runs FC1. With graphics set to ultra-low (800x600, 16bits, all options down...)

I didn't found any provider with "real" GPU servers (at last, with reasonnable price) for the moment. But I still hope :)

Anyway, thanks for answering :)

@ X-man, thanks for your reply :)

We'll perhaps move to house-housing (:D). It has other pro/cons than professional (datacenter) housing, but it's worth a try :)

++

Az'

Edited by Azrayen

spacer.png

I've gone through server providers like underwear.... Trying to find a provider that will give you the set-up you need at an affordable price is difficult. In order to make things price effective most server providers run a blade type setup, where they can fit multiple machines in a rack. More servers in a rack = more savings to you. The only problem is server blades cant fit video cards so...

I've also found that most companies that provide both the hardware and the location at affordable prices tend to either suck at support or have shoddy hardware, or often times both.

IMHO the best way to host a server is buy your own machine and either co-locate at a data center or host at your home. if your looking to co-locate in the states, PM 104th_PoleCat. I dont know anyone who is co-locating outside of the US... maybe talk to someone from =4c=?

Edited by Fudd
The code is probaly in Russian anyway.

You can get away using on board graphics as long as they allow direct draw and 3D acceleration and also AGP texture acceleration. If your running an old nVidia 7300LE with 128 onboard, like we were for a while, you just need to turn the graphics all the way down and run it windowed 800x600. Also zooming in on map view or into the sky on airfield view will help.

Yes, you can "get away" with it - but what if the next patch changes how the game works, dx9 changes etc - and your hardware isn't supported anymore.

Wouldn't it be smarted to try to at least stick with the officially supported specs? :)

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

Yes, you can "get away" with it - but what if the next patch changes how the game works, dx9 changes etc - and your hardware isn't supported anymore.

Wouldn't it be smarted to try to at least stick with the officially supported specs? :)

2255581637_a59a956bfe.jpg

:D

• Like 1

Our server runs GIGABYTE GV-R465OC-1GI Radeon HD 4650 1GB 128-bit GDDR2. It not a very good card but it is good enough for DX 9.0 and for FC.

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

We've worked with them before. Its not a good idea to tell them I sent you. :D

Oh Dear No......Not a Good idea at all!

:D

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Trying to find a provider that will give you the set-up you need at an affordable price is difficult.

Yep, I must agree :)

I've also found that most companies that provide both the hardware and the location at affordable prices tend to either suck at support or have shoddy hardware, or often times both.

A pity. Anyway, I'll try to find the best compromise. Being an IT (functional) admin, I'm also contacting my professional network.

if your looking to co-locate in the states, PM 104th_PoleCat.

Thanks, but I would prefer an european housing, for ping and support opening hours issues.

I am trying to work with biggameserver.com now for this will let you know sounds like they may do it.

OK, thanks :)

Our server runs GIGABYTE GV-R465OC-1GI Radeon HD 4650 1GB 128-bit GDDR2. It not a very good card but it is good enough for DX 9.0 and for FC.

Thanks for the data, Veljko :)

Do you know if it is installed at home or in a datacenter ?

Cheers

Az'

spacer.png

Thanks for the data, Veljko :)

Do you know if it is installed at home or in a datacenter ?

Cheers

Az'

The card was installed in the data center for a small fee. We first confirmed that the data center was willing to install our video card. Then we purchased the card and shipped it to them. One video card already failed. So this is the second card in the past year. Bear in mind the server runs 24 h a day ...

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Another reason you might need a card for 2.0 is that we had to change the desctop res. from 1024X768

to 1280X1024 (pic) and we found out the reason is that if you force 2.0 to run lower then 1024X768

(like 800x600) the screen will be clipped.

SD1.jpg

Could anyone from the 104th speak as to what your server's specs are?

What kind of backbone are you on (speeds)? Looks like the server is hosted somewhere in the Northeast US?

The server is hosted in LA (West Coast, USA), and I believe is 10Mb up and down.

I'll ask someone to pop the spec's here for you.

Another reason you might need a card for 2.0 is that we had to change the desctop res. from 1024X768

to 1280X1024 (pic) and we found out the reason is that if you force 2.0 to run lower then 1024X768

(like 800x600) the screen will be clipped.

Its still not a necessity. We ran DCS 800 x 600 you just need to be able to push buttons. Also servman made most of the process autonomous so clipping didnt matter.

Edit

One other thing thats super important is the OS your using. I recommend staying away from Server OS's due to the fact that it takes a fair amount of tech knowledge to get the machine to perform as a desktop. Also some remote admin programs will not work on Server OS's without purchasing a license which will cost you $$$$

Edited by Fudd

104th Server specs are:

Intel 965GF

C2D E6600

2GB DDR2 1066 memory

Windows XP Pro x86 (upgrading to Win7 x64 shortly)

Raid 1 mirror for OS, apps and games and single SATA backup drive.

Low end Nvidia card (not much needed for server all settings low)

On board Sound card (not used or needed)

Probably will upgrade the hardware this year although we have had no problems using this box as a server for the last 2+ years.

Hosted in LA as Nem said. 100Mb backbone though not 10Mb

Out

Edited by PoleCat
  • Like 1

Its still not a necessity. We ran DCS 800 x 600 you just need to be able to push buttons. Also servman made most of the process autonomous so clipping didnt matter.
For FC2.0 we found that due to the clipping some buttons weren't accessible, and the scoreboard was very hard to read. In the end it's just a matter of preference, but since we wanted to have both the game and parts of the desktop visible we settled for running it at 1024x768 with the desktop at 1280x1024.

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

For FC2.0 we found that due to the clipping some buttons weren't accessible' date=' and the scoreboard was very hard to read. In the end it's just a matter of preference, but since we wanted to have both the game and parts of the desktop visible we settled for running it at 1024x768 with the desktop at 1280x1024.[/quote']

Same for us. Seems the best compromise.

Out

104th Server specs are:

Intel 965GF

C2D E6600

2GB DDR2 1066 memory

Windows XP Pro x86 (upgrading to Win7 x64 shortly)

Raid 1 mirror for OS, apps and games and single SATA backup drive.

Low end Nvidia card (not much needed for server all settings low)

On board Sound card (not used or needed)

Probably will upgrade the hardware this year although we have had no problems using this box as a server for the last 2+ years.

Hosted in LA as Nem said. 100Mb backbone thought not 10Mb

Out

Thanks Pole. I've got a bunch of loose computer parts hanging around, I may try to get a 4u rackmount and put something together. We (VBA) had a dedicated server before with similar specs as above, but our server was moved and moved onto a less than stellar box that really sucked and thus dropped it. Bottom line, its something we're looking into again.

Thanks again for the input!

Rhino2007VBA_sig.jpg