ABRIS Questions

goon3r

I'm trying to learn a bit more about the ABRIS and so I'm currently going through the respective portion of the flight manual.

I have a couple of questions regarding adding new POIs:

1. Can I KEY in long/lat cordinates directly into the ABRIS to mark a POI ? I know there are no dedicated numeric keys so it would be a bit awkward but is it possible? I know you can add/draw points but I'm specifically asking about keying the point manually.
  2. I've seen it mentioned many times that there is a very loose link between the ABRIS and PVI systems. Yesterday I entered a target point into the PVI and I noticed that the point appeared on my ABRIS with a blue box and the point number. I wasn't expecting this to happen given that I thought the systems didn't communicate. So, Is THIS the proper way of manually entering a POI on the ABRIS ?

• Like 1

It's impossible to numerically key in coordinates into ABRIS. When you have target point selected in PVI, ABRIS will show it on the map but thats it. You can't interact with it in any way in ABRIS or transfer it into ABRIS. When you deselect it prom PVI, it's gone from ABRIS also. As far as I know, ABRIS will only show some information from other systems but it can't send data to other systems.

DCS Finland: Suomalainen DCS yhteisö -- Finnish DCS community

--------------------------------------------------

SF Squadron

Thanks for clearing that up for me guys. I decided to ask because initially I tried to enter the POI directly into the ABRIS but I found that couldn't get the exact coordinates with the draw feature. I guess the PVI keypad is there for the purpose of entering coordinates.

Just to be clear, entering coordinates into the PVI only enters them into the PVI system, not the ABRIS. Similarly entering an ABRIS point only enters a point into the ABRIS.

Precise ABRIS point inputs would likely be limited by your deftness on the 6-7-8 knob at high zoom. ABRIS also achieves about an extra 10's place of precision compared to the PVI. If you mean an ingress point by POI, then visually should be fine for the purpose. Hundredth's place in minutes is something like 20m.