FPS Saving Sound Mod

RvEFuSiOn

Hi this is a mod where I have converted all the FC2 sounds in the effects folder from .wav format to .ogg

It reduces the file size by alot and saves alot of FPS, specially for explosion sounds etc.

Example:

file ExplodeAir0.wav was 209kb

now its been compressed and called ExplodeAir0.ogg and is just 27kb.

Sound quality for the all these sounds is exactly the same but almost quarter the file size, saving in FPS!

INSTALLATION : Rename your Effects folder which is in your Sounds folder and only after doing that install this pack!

If you do not do this step it will continue to use the .wav files in your original effects folder and this mod wont have any effect!

Ive compressed the effects folder from around 25mb to 7mb without sound quality loss.

I have uploaded this mod to Lockonfiles too, but it's just in the queue waiting to be approved and so it should be available there soon. I have also done a version for Blackshark, and if you guys are interested I can upload that too!

Anyway I hope this benefits those people with stutters and FPS drops, it has significantly increased and stabilized performance for me.

Here is the link to download below for now!

Flaming Cliffs 2:

data.reservoirselite.com/FC2-Orig Sounds-Fps Saver.rar

http://lockonfiles.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=1745#dl

DCS:Ka-50

data.reservoirselite.com/DCS-Orig Sounds-Fps Saver.rar

edit: added link for DCS version & FC2 on http://www.lockonfiles.com

Peace!

Edited by =RvE=FuSiOn
  • Like 3

How many FPS does it save?

You know that mutliple sound files playing at the same time cause lots of stutters right? This reduces stuttering and stabilizes FPS, by reducing the file size significantly while maintaining the same sound quality.

Smart fix! Gotta try it out.

This sort of optimizations are already incorporated into my sound pack Case, if you havent tested it yet (its on FTP)... ;)

But this one is good if u want to use the default sounds... although i reckon the FPS improvement would only be noticeable on low end machines...

Btw, guys regarding mixing everything to .OGG, I remember ED saying something about this format creating stutters in Black Shark... so maybe thats why they went to .wav

So this needs some testing i suppose...

Edited by Breakshot

Breakshot_Sig_2.jpg

Tim "Breakshot" Mytrofanov | C.O. of 51 ПВО / 100 КИАП Regiments | twitch.tv/51breakshot

Good one. I was wondering why ED went to WAV in the first place... seemed a bit... raw. :thumbup:
Well, it may depend a bit on how the files are used when the game is running, because if they need to be reread from disk then WAV has the disadvantage that they are larger, but has the advantage that files do not need to be decompressed. If the files are stored in memory then WAV might might be better than ogg. However, since ogg is lossless I would expect the decompression would not take too many computation cycles.
  • Like 1

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Sound quality for the all these sounds is exactly the same but almost quarter the file size, saving in FPS!

[smartass]

Vorbis is a lossy codec, so while the compression might not be perceptible (which i doubt, at that ratio), thequality can not be the same ;)

[/smartass]

Still a nice catch on FPS saving. :thumbup:

• Like 1

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Regarding Black Shark...

I've got impatient and looked it myself. There is a lot of same named files in BS Effects folder (like: sound.wav and sound.ogg).

NMW I tried to convert (using software for that) .wav to .ogg's. Same named ones I didn't convert. BS crashed with VB or C++ error message. So, this was no-go with BS :(

Maybe Fusion would do better?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hey Fusion! do I have to replace something to make the link work or?

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, MSI MEG X570 UNIFY (AM4, AMD X570, ATX), Noctua NH-DH14, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti XC3 ULTRA, Seasonic Focus PX (850W), Kingston HyperX 240GB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB, M.2 2280), 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16, Cooler Master 932 HAF, Samsung Odyssey G5; 34", Win 10 X64 Pro, Track IR, TM Warthog, TM MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudders

Regarding Black Shark...

I've got impatient and looked it myself. There is a lot of same named files in BS Effects folder (like: sound.wav and sound.ogg).

NMW I tried to convert (using software for that) .wav to .ogg's. Same named ones I didn't convert. BS crashed with VB or C++ error message. So, this was no-go with BS

Black shark uses the old sound engine FC2 the new. Try it again after the patch. ;)

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

You know that mutliple sound files playing at the same time cause lots of stutters right? This reduces stuttering and stabilizes FPS, by reducing the file size significantly while maintaining the same sound quality.

Going to try it :D

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

Just copy that link in my first post and paste it in your browser and hit enter.

peace

strange, if i paste it in the browser it doesn't work, but with the link I posted it works ?

data.reservoirselite.com/FC2-Orig Sounds-Fps Saver.rar

Thx

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, MSI MEG X570 UNIFY (AM4, AMD X570, ATX), Noctua NH-DH14, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti XC3 ULTRA, Seasonic Focus PX (850W), Kingston HyperX 240GB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB, M.2 2280), 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16, Cooler Master 932 HAF, Samsung Odyssey G5; 34", Win 10 X64 Pro, Track IR, TM Warthog, TM MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudders

Regarding Black Shark...

NMW I tried to convert (using software for that) .wav to .ogg's. Same named ones I didn't convert. BS crashed with VB or C++ error message. So, this was no-go with BS :(

Maybe Fusion would do better?

Check my Original post I've added a link for the DCS version :-)

Peace!

I tried to make some comparison but it is difficult to measure if there is some fps gain or not. Still I'll keep it installed and test.

Don't know if you get improvements on multiple core cpus since the FC2 sound engine can be run on a different core than the rest of the FC2 processes.

Edited by asparagin
Spoiler

Sure you did better Fusion :)

It doesn't show "Ran out of memory" sound issue any more. But, I had BSOD instead of freeze around very same place :prop: (STOP 0x7E, ati3duag.dll, documented as... well... many issues. One of them - sound...)

I'm gonna keep your mod to check it in the rest of the game.

It would be nice that some1 else check it too.

BTW

It's DCS BS version I'm talking about.

Instability is not caused by this mod but is software/hardware related.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[smartass]

Vorbis is a lossy codec, so while the compression might not be perceptible (which i doubt, at that ratio), thequality can not be the same ;)

[/smartass]

Still a nice catch on FPS saving. :thumbup:

Not necessarily. If the original wav file is at a certain quality and you compress it to an ogg file, then you are losing nothing. You would only loose sound quality if the wav file was at a high quality. I think that is what Fusion has done here.