FPS Saving Sound Mod

RvEFuSiOn

Saves FPS? Sorry but that is same as stop losing FPS which is same as increasing FPS ;)

Maybe you should change your wording and instead of saying it saves FPS say may stop sound related stutters :)

No longer active in DCS...

DCS BS version

Wow, this went in wrong direction :(

After some more testing I may say it works flawless in other campaigns/missions. No BSoD, no freezes. Just that one mission.

About quality... I cannot tell the difference. Only thing I noticed is different sound of rotor. I like it. It's more scary :) Also "gears up" sounds different.

GJ Fusion :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

see, there's exactly this placebo effect as this radio chatter is not even part of Fusion's mod ;) What else are people gonna claim?

Edited by Kuky

So without taking any side, armed with state television impartiality, I did the following test as Fusion described:

On runway, some units explode left and right at the same time engines are started.

I have Vsync enabled so my max fps is 60. When the explosions occur fps drop for like half of a second in both cases at about 34 - 39 fps.

I don't have an external soundcard, and run on a 2 core cpu.

• Like 1
Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, MSI MEG X570 UNIFY (AM4, AMD X570, ATX), Noctua NH-DH14, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti XC3 ULTRA, Seasonic Focus PX (850W), Kingston HyperX 240GB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB, M.2 2280), 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16, Cooler Master 932 HAF, Samsung Odyssey G5; 34", Win 10 X64 Pro, Track IR, TM Warthog, TM MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudders

Amen!

EDIT: Let me make it very clear to Everyone, I have clearly said in my first post also, that this mod SAVES FPS! by reducing stutters, not INCREASE FPS, hence i'd suggest the people wanting an FPS increase from this mod should LEARN TO READ! and understand what has been written instead of typing nonsense for the heck of it and insinuating various things.

Peace

it is a nice job and I did install it to try, however let me review that logic...if you save some FPS doesn't the overall average actually increase by definition? so what is being advertised here is indeed an increase in performance. ;)

• Like 1

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

it is a nice job and I did install it to try, however let me review that logic...if you save some FPS doesn't the overall average actually increase by definition? so what is being advertised here is indeed an increase in performance. ;)

So your glass is half full..

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, MSI MEG X570 UNIFY (AM4, AMD X570, ATX), Noctua NH-DH14, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti XC3 ULTRA, Seasonic Focus PX (850W), Kingston HyperX 240GB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB, M.2 2280), 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16, Cooler Master 932 HAF, Samsung Odyssey G5; 34", Win 10 X64 Pro, Track IR, TM Warthog, TM MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudders

Amen!

EDIT: Let me make it very clear to Everyone, I have clearly said in my first post also, that this mod SAVES FPS! by reducing stutters, not INCREASE FPS, hence i'd suggest the people wanting an FPS increase from this mod should LEARN TO READ! and understand what has been written instead of typing nonsense for the heck of it and insinuating various things.

Peace

Hi Fusion, I haven't tried your sounds but I do understand who this work might help, so thanks for your effort......

Cheers ..Shad

"husband"..... I paid good money for this perfect mouse trap !! but I havent caught a mouse yet, I doesent work...

"wife"..........honey we dont have mice ??

RyZen5 3600x, MSI GamingX RX 5700xt, AX-370-K7, 16 Gig G-Skil 3200 :thumbup:, Antec 650w (Still),Win10 on 256G 870 NVMe, 860+850 Evo for Apps, 2x1TB WD HDs for :music_whistling:, TR5 :detective:, Hog stick:joystick:, 3x TM MFD Bezels. a 32" AOC, @ 2560x1440, no floppy & a crappy chair :pain:. Its hard to find a chair that accepts you as you grow.:pilotfly:

Hey Fusion, if you have this software to convert WAV file OGG how about converting voice files as well?

I was thinking of doing that, however the other small sounds that aren't played that often don't seem to have such a big impact, however i will look in to it.

Furthermore when someone was referring to the radio chatter stutters, its the not the radio related sounds that were causing the micro stutters but the entire effects folder, and by way of those being smaller in size the stuttering overall starts to disappear.

Peace

What program are you using to convert them?

Wow... this guy has some nerve asking me that... specially after all the stuff you posted.

I'd tell every person on this board but you. You don't deserve an ounce of help from me and you aint getting any.

Figure it out yourself.

If anyone wants to know the program I used to convert sound files, PM me and i will hook you up.

Edited by =RvE=FuSiOn

Wow... this guy has some nerve asking me that... specially after all the stuff you posted.

I'd tell every person on this board but you. You don't deserve an ounce of help from me and you aint getting any.

Figure it out yourself.

If anyone wants to know the program I used to convert sound files, PM me and i will hook you up.

oh... sorry I asked... I don't need any help from you, far from it :pilotfly:

Edited by Kuky

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the mod Fusion. I found it gave me a few extra FPS on laptop which is much appreciated.

Problem is I am unable to find your DCS BS version of the sound mod.

Do you have a linky, please?

Check the first post dude, right at the bottom of it is a link, just copy and paste it in your browser.

Here it is anyways to save you some time

data.reservoirselite.com/DCS-Orig Sounds-Fps Saver.rar

Peace

• Like 1

I got myself to convert all of the sound files from WAV to OGG, now question to ED: Are OGG files actually better for performance compared to WAV?

Here's a download page:

http://www.filefactory.com/file/b1b8e33/n/Sounds-ConvertedToOGG.rar

Basically you can delete (or just rename it if you want to have a backup) the whole Sound folder then extract these to main FC2 folder (I included all of the files in Sound folder)

Edited by Kuky

Interesting that it would make a significant difference. The OGG files are smaller but they still need to be decoded in order to be played, so at best you'd be trading increased CPU usage for decreased memory usage. But the CPU load is probably pretty negligible. Maybe for memory-constrained systems it could make a difference?

Would be interesting to hear ED's take on this. I don't have any stuttering problems with the normal sounds, but then I have heaps of memory and a fast drive.