How to slave ARK-22 ADF to R-800L1 UHF to have wingman direction on HSI?

Hello,

As above I've have just started campaign 'Deployment' after several days learning DCS and I just can't keep up with flight lead ! Please do not advise like 'trun NAV route autopilot'. I would like to know how to obtain heading to other fligh elements (AI or multiplayer clients) once I lost them off Line-Off-Sight. According to manual I can slave somehow radio equipment to have RSI needle directed towar transmitter, ie wingman. Once it works-does it work all the time or when someone actually broadcasting for lets say few seconds and then eventually loose its bearing? Second thought, once trying to use this feature I found that RMI (1 or 2) can follow VOR. What actually does it mean? I've checked that VOR states for "VHF (Very High Frequency) Omni-directional Radio-range" but that doesn't tell me anything that I understand in DCS world...

You will see the direction of the transmitter only when it is transmitting. So you should make the wingman say something to see his direction. Remember that when he is out of line of sight, like behind a hill, you won't get the direction.

VOR isn't currently modelled in DCS but you can google and see how it works. It will come handy when A-10C comes out. In short, the display works quite much like the HSI in western Lock On aircraft. Here's an online VOR simulator.

Edited by Griffin

Thanks, but that still doesnt explain how to employ it :) When switching up ADF on R-800L1 nothing get changed on main HSI even once wingman is broadcasting withinh 100m LOS (default communication freq 127500) and on ABRIS RMI2 (set up to radio) gets boxed in yellow and indicator dissapears :joystick:

Check the switch number 4 on your ADF control panel (PDF manual page 144 & 145 (6-70 & 6-71)).

4. “АНТ-КОМП” (Antenna – Compass) ADF mode switch. This switch allows you to select either “АНТ” antenna mode or “КОМП” compass mode. When in “АНТ” mode, the ADF provides you the NDB audio signal as a Morse code. When in the “КОМП” mode, the ADF provides you RMI steering data on your HSI and ABRIS HSI. [LALT + LCTRL + []
I've never used the feature though but I hope that will make it work. It will be pretty awesome if/when ED will create an in-game voice communication system that takes full advantage of the sound engine.
Edited by Griffin

According to manual I can slave somehow radio equipment to have RSI needle directed toward transmitter, ie wingman. Once it works-does it work all the time or when someone actually broadcasting for lets say few seconds and then eventually loose its bearing?

Second thought, once trying to use this feature I found that RMI (1 or 2) can follow VOR. What actually does it mean? I've checked that VOR states for "VHF (Very High Frequency) Omni-directional Radio-range" but that doesn't tell me anything that I understand in DCS world...

The ABRIS has two virtual RMI needles that can be set to receive information from a variety of sources. "VOR" would normally be to receive data from a navigational radio that gets its signal from a VOR ground station. The Ka-50 doesn't have such a radio and thus the RMI cannot be driven from this source. The ABRIS AMMS is a semi-commercial navigation product that is designed to be installed in many different kinds of aircraft and has functions that are incompatible (or beyond) what the Ka-50 can support.

You will see the direction of the transmitter only when it is transmitting. So you should make the wingman say something to see his direction. Remember that when he is out of line of sight, like behind a hill, you won't get the direction.

This is true but you have to be careful as the AI is really weird when it comes to radio use. I think a Ka-50 as #2 in your flight will produce a real radio call that can activate the RMI in the proper mode. However the Mi-17 in the first mission of Deployment is different. If I remember correctly his speech is entirely scripted and you will hear it even if you shut down all power to the radios! Scripted speech isn't "real" and won't activate the RMI needle.

VOR isn't currently modelled in DCS but you can google and see how it works. It will come handy when A-10C comes out. In short, the display works quite much like the HSI in western Lock On aircraft. Here's an online VOR simulator.

I think VOR is simulated in DCS:BS engine just fine but the Ka-50 doesn't have VOR equipment. The LUA files can define such VOR stations.

Thanks, but that still doesnt explain how to employ it :) When switching up ADF on R-800L1 nothing get changed on main HSI even once wingman is broadcasting withinh 100m LOS (default communication freq 127500) and on ABRIS RMI2 (set up to radio) gets boxed in yellow and indicator dissapears :joystick:

The middle switch of 3 just above the VHF2 radio frequency dials? That should be the one. Try it with a normal 2-ship Ka-50 mission. I don't think it works with the Mi-17 on Deployment#1, who's also not even your wingman technically.

Check the switch number 4 on your ADF control panel (PDF manual page 144 & 145 (6-70 & 6-71)).

I've never used the feature though but I hope that will make it work. It will be pretty awesome if/when ED will create an in-game voice communication system that takes full advantage of the sound engine.

That's for changing between hearing the signal through the intercom and using it for navigation; different than the ADF source switch on the VHF2 panel.