Realistic Laser Cooling Option

Guest ThomasDWeiss

Guest ThomasDWeiss

I really appreciate the effort put into making the Su-25T realistic, I do.

That said, I would like an option to disable the cooling period, it is a hindrance to high intensity scenarios.

I really appreciate the effort put into making the Su-25T realistic, I do.

That said, I would like an option to disable the cooling period, it is a hindrance to high intensity scenarios.

Not sure I understand. Wouldn't the cool down period be a factor making an already high intensity scenario more intense?

Rich

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Whatever is the idea of Thomas, the option for the cooling system should be implemented and the main reason is: if you have an easy radar option, why not a non-cooling laser option? ;)

In IL2 for example you may fly it as an arcade game or a sim. The more options to reduce difficulty of the game, the better, as long it remains optional, and the realistic setting remains high priority for the dev. team.

Just my opinion. :)

Guest ThomasDWeiss
Not sure I understand. Wouldn't the cool down period be a factor making an already high intensity scenario more intense?

Rich

It does make it more intense - in a scary way!

If you are attacking say ... a convoy with a Shilka and a OSA, you lock the cursor, turn on the laser, wait 10s for impact, switch target and and and L L L L L L L L ... you have to break the attack run and start all over again, that is the problem.

I can use a E-O for that, but with you have 2 E-O and all the rest are laser guided it severely restricts your options.

I agree that something seems odd about this incredible cooling laser.

So, I can use the laser for a maximum of one minute, and then it automatically switches off to prevent overheating, right?

But if I decide to "save energy" by turning it off after, say, thirty seconds, when I think I don't need it anymore, then immediately turn it on again for another thirty seconds - then it doesn't automatically switch off anymore, but rather self-destructs itself?

Maybe I don't understand... why does it need to cool all the way down to "zero" before it can be normally used again? Can't we just cool it down "part way"?

And who invented "Shift-O-O-O..." six times? Which super-realistic switch in the cockpit is THAT supposed to represent? :confused: :)

-SK

Guest ThomasDWeiss

This reminds me of the sequence needed to fire the Maverick in F4, I simply created a Macro for the six or seven separate commands needed.

I don't mind a 2-3 sec waiting period - right now, it feels like an eternity.

I personally like it the way it is. It definitely adds realism and it forces the player to adjust tactics and schemes of maneuver to destroy the target(s) while not becoming one. Even the lasers on M1 tanks overheat when confronted with enough targets or when used by an unskilled gunner.

Veni,Vidi,Vici Biiiaaaatttcchhh!!

of course it feels like an eternity. After a while you'll get used to it and adjust your tactics accordingly. The most targets I've been able to hit in one run with the laser on is 4. The rest of the time I'll usually average 2 hits in one pass. I keep the 29T around incase I need to hit multiple targets in one go, besides the vikhr's accuracy reduces when the range reading is less than 4.

Tip : fire in ripple, redirect to a new target with missile in-flight. This way you don't have to wait all the missile flight time before launching another one.

5 seconds between each missile is a good start.

Whisper of old OFP & C6 forums, now Kalbuth.

Specs : i7 6700K / MSI 1070 / 32G RAM / SSD / Rift S / Virpil MongooseT50 / Virpil T50 CM2 Throttle / MFG Crosswind.

All but Viggen, Yak52 & F16

4!, you musta been close because if I fire at ~10km, I usually only have 1 more shot from say 4km by the time the laser goes into cooling mode.

An effective Vikhrs attack require you, as Whisper states, to ripple fire the missiles. Here's a quick demo track of what we mean: Walking the Line. Sorry no voiceover, etc but you should be able to get the idea. Note that I gain speed gradually in the dive and actually end up overspeeding a bit but that allows me to evade the Shilka's return fire.

Assuming this plays back correctly, you'll notice that I actually fire and guide 5 missles but #3 (I think) misses.

ThomasDWeiss,

This track has the convoy protected by an accompanying Osa and Shilka in case you'd like to take a peek. Not sure if you were hoping for more than 4 kills in a pass with your no-laser-cooling request. This particular pass had the potential for 5 kills, though one missed.

Rich

• Like 1

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

It's also possible you don't have to dive in as soon. Locking up the general area is good enough and then the TV Monitor can look below the HUD.

I also go in with Full flaps (SHIFT-F) and 80-90% Power. I've also gotten used to having bombloads I can drop while my laser is cooling. I usually can't get them on target but if there's another group of targets close by then I set up for them.

ZoomBoy

My Flight Sims Page

- Link to My Blog - Sims and Things - DCS Stuff++

- Up-to-Speed Guides to the old Lockon A10A and Su-25T

- Some missions [needs update]

Excellent suggestion guys! I will attempt it this weekend. I have the slew cursor set up on the mouse button on the throttle control of my HOTAS and works quite well but requires a lot of skill I think to be able to shellaque>4 targets on 1 pass. I'll check out that track tonight!

I usually start at ~2000m with half flaps and airbrake on and "float" down while acquireing targets and firing, but still the laser burns out,I'll have to try Rippling.

Veni,Vidi,Vici Biiiaaaatttcchhh!!

Guest ThomasDWeiss
This track has the convoy protected by an accompanying Osa and Shilka in case you'd like to take a peek. Not sure if you were hoping for more than 4 kills in a pass with your no-laser-cooling request. This particular pass had the potential for 5 kills, though one missed.�

got it - going to run it later today. Thanks.