TrackIR 4 or 5?

Climbing the Black Shark learning curve (and loving every minute of it, BTW) and see that I am finally going to have to break down and invest in TrackIR. I see that version 5 is out and has a wider operating field and finer resolution than version 4, but my real question to the Black Shark community is whether version 5 is worth the extra 50% price? I see a lot of comments on these boards about TrackIR 4 - has anybody stepped up to 5 and noticed any difference for flying Black Shark? I am not usually shy about investing in good hardware for the sims I fly - I use Cougar HOTAS, for example, but don't like to spend money I don't need to to get the performance needed for something specific like this.

Any thoughts / feedback will be appreciated!

Zenra

Intel i7 930 2.8GHz; ATI HD5850 1GB; 1TB Serial ATA-II; 12GB DDR3-1333; 24 x DL DVD+/-RW Drive; 800W PSU; Win7-64; TM Warthog HOTAS

Having made the move 4 to 5, I can say the major advantage of the 5 is its field of view. You can crane your neck more and look in more directions before the receiver loses one of the dots and snaps back to center. Helps when looking at the far wall of switches, or leaning around to see switches behind the stick.

They're both excellent head trackers though.

Tim "Stretch" Morgan

72nd VFW, 617th VFS

Other handles: Strikeout (72nd VFW, 15th MEU Realism Unit), RISCfuture (BMS forums)

PC and Peripherals: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/RISCfuture/saved/#view=DMp6XL

Win10 x64 — BMS — DCS — P3D

I also notice the limitation of the FOV on the TIR4. Since you're buying it new I would go for the TIR5.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit

I'd say 5 as well, unless money is an item. If you would rather not break the bank, go for a 4 - as long as you're not half an inch from your screen it'll serve real good. But if you have the money to spend the difference is worth it from the wider FOV. I personally use the 4 and is happy with it, but I purchased before the release of the 5 and would have gone with the latter had I been in the market later.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Thanks, all for the replies - looks like 5 it will be...

Zenra

Intel i7 930 2.8GHz; ATI HD5850 1GB; 1TB Serial ATA-II; 12GB DDR3-1333; 24 x DL DVD+/-RW Drive; 800W PSU; Win7-64; TM Warthog HOTAS