Programming

Sel94

Hey, so I wanted to learn a little programming. I'll start easy and say I want to either make a simple little game or put a skin on a plane in lock on. So where do I start? I am currently learning C++. Thanks!

Definitely not by putting a skin on a plane.

There's plenty of projects you could do - just think of one and do it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Hey, so I wanted to learn a little programming. I'll start easy and say I want to either make a simple little game or put a skin on a plane in lock on. So where do I start? I am currently learning C++. Thanks!

If you even want to start easier and get the real basic's...start with the old dinosaur of code " Basic " it is a sort of bat files...hmm now you got me going ...time to pull out all my old code books again...:thumbup::smartass:

:pilotfly:

Definitely not by putting a skin on a plane.

There's plenty of projects you could do - just think of one and do it.

Oh, is that against the rules or something? I'v seen a lot of skin mods on mod man so a thought it would be cool.

Oh, I dunno, some jerk ...

/
/---------------------------------------
/
\
\---------------------------------------
 \

Edited by GGTharos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I'm scared..

Looking for more cat pictures to defeat you, I practicaly laughed mt head off, can't do it any longer! You win.

Gotta get a few more!

thumbnail.aspx?q=5367276143&id=d9a12d2a5276bf04de11d175ac0ce176&index=ch1&url=http%3a%2f%2fnodwick.humor.gamespy.com%2fImages%2ftrash.jpgthumbnail.aspx?q=25099183253&id=6c0ab88aeed8c18981f558563ac4504e&index=ch1&url=http%3a%2f%2fjustelite.net%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2007%2f06%2fcat.jpgthumbnail.aspx?q=12420783419&id=91b70b956788bf2b2e436453aae50776&index=ch1&url=http%3a%2f%2ffarm3.static.flickr.com%2f2113%2f2142553608_4b08c57ec5_m.jpg

Bet those scare you!

Edited by Sel94
  • Like 1

Hello,

you should know one thing about game programming, that learning the programming language(C++) is the least problem. Because you're going to have to learn lots of stuff about computer graphics - APIs(DirectX,OpenGL), mathematics(linear algebra,matrices), how the HW inside of a graphic card works, shader units (one more language to learn). And sound, physics, (network code) and of course how to put it well all together ;)

If I didn't discourage you, you can start with something simple like a spinning cube: http://www.swiftless.com/tutorials/opengl/rotation.html

Sel, if you want to have a project to cut your teeth on C++, I'd recommend calculators. That's how I started (though I'm not actually a programmer, but it was interesting to learn it a bit). Unfortunately Windows doesn't have the same handy text-command interface that you can get with Linux, but what I did was basically a calculator that allowed me to type things like

add 2 and 5

in the command prompt and it would come back with 7. Similar for divide 5 by 3 and multiply 10 and 23 and so on. The programs themselves (sadly I don't have them anymore) were only like 20 lines of code each, if that, but it gives you a taste of working with compilers and starts you thinking about syntax and basic function structures.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

C/C++ is the best choice for starting to program imo :). If you know cpp, you can understand

many "simpler" languages so much better.

S = SPARSE(m,n) abbreviates SPARSE([],[],[],m,n,0). This generates the ultimate sparse matrix, an m-by-n all zero matrix. - Matlab help on 'sparse'

Aye, and so often the languages touted as being "easier to learn" fail pretty dramatically - take good old QBASIC as an example; the syntax is slightly easier to learn, but it's not really "easier" to learn how to structure a program with it. Once programs got beyond the basic (heheh) goto line command thing and started either using subs (like QBASIC) or proper functions (like C), things are pretty much equal in the one thing that is actually really complex.

A good alternative otherwise might be to use a C-esque language like php or whatever to learn the syntax (no compiling or libraries and such stuff to distract you), and once you have the syntax down you can easily step into more "proper" programming.

...or you could just learn C but do so with small programs. :)

EDIT:

As a fun anecdote to entertain those who are of a geek strain: back in elementary my older brother wrote a raytracing FPS engine in QBASIC, but ended up having major parts of it in straight assembler to boost FPS. :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

A good alternative otherwise might be to use a C-esque language like php or whatever to learn the syntax (no compiling or libraries and such stuff to distract you), and once you have the syntax down you can easily step into more "proper" programming.

C# :)

No worries with memory allocation, easy work with strings, lots of useful classes. EDIT: and it's very similar to C++ ;)

But only a low level language like C++ is good for games in the end.

Edited by kebeq

Maybe grab a book (Amazon reviews are usually pretty helpful in picking out a good one). It doesn't matter what language you learn, start with the basic principles of programming: syntax, string and numerical operations, variables, literals, loops, decisions, etc. Most 'beginners' books will start off with procedural programming, but then you can work your way up to object-oriented programming, which is where things get a little....interesting.

Awesome.

What was it?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Well, the very first program was just displaying words but the first one that does something is converting feet to meters. You can type in any measure you want and it will convert. Pretty cool, right? It's a start and I can't wait to make more complex stuff!

Wow, I made a small program off the top of my head without any help. Cool!

Now I'm starting on a calculator.Wow what a lot of code!(without instructions, just me!)

Edited by Sel94