Basic Flight Training: ILS to other than home base?

Any help please

I am trying to train myself in basic instrument approach procedures and can't seem to find a way to set up an instrument approach to a field other than "home base"...

What I want to do is be able to latch up the ADI and HSI to any field I would like to land at...there must be some way to call tower at a different field when requesting an ILS approach ????? There has to be a way to use the comm's to call for vector and heading from the field one would tune to...

My practice mission does a round robin of several airfields after sunset, heavy clouds, fog, wind, turbulence and a thunder storm...

When I approach my first target touch and go field...the ILS system is still stuck on the origination field...

More Questions:

When setting up wind in the environmental mission settings will the in game ILS approach change to take into consideration current wind?

As an example in the training missions for the A10 (rockets,bombs,mavericks)...active runway at 'Kobuleti' is always 255...wind is 74 at 6...if I set it to 255 would the ILS approach change?

Are there any approach plates for the fields in LOMAC FC2 fields?

What are the actual names of the fields in the real world so I can find the approach plates online

How can I turn off the HUD entirely so am forced to use panel for my approach procedures? I want to practice steam gauge approaches in nasty conditions...civilian IFR typically finds the student in a hood...we can't do that in the game but how do you turn OFF the HUD

Oneway

Flight Cadet

Edit: I am probably wrong because its all new to me, but it seems you can only have one landing point on a mission...the waypoint or action point "Refuel" I assume means aerial refueling and not land based hot padding an aircraft at an interim field...

The mission I am trying to create is to set up 3 gnarly ILS approaches to 3 different fields...where I would refuel at the 3 remote fields before returning home and be forced into a final ILS approach, landing and taxi to end the mission

Edited by Oneway
because after I read it I have more to ask/say

Another Basic Flight Question...

More Cadet Question:

What Autopilot mode will neutralize trim, level the wings and lock the heading in a flight level attitude?

What Autopilot mode (if any) will neutralize trim, level the wings and either lock the pitch attitude or airspeed...ie trim for present airspeed and control ascent/descent rate with throttle...

Seems like the Autopilot has a mind of its own...and doesn't even possess a wings leveler-trim neutralizer and level flight at present heading choice...

Finding the logic in the AP modes to be anything but logical...for instance default "A" route following...thanks but no thanks...why does the AP default "A" go to route following?...the default condition of the AP should be to simply stabilize trim and go to a flight level heading lock...

Engaging the autopilot should not induce course corrections unless a 'special' mode or modifier is selected...

Oneway

????????????????

• Like 1

well your close but no cigar as this flight sim is anyting but an acurate flight sim it's more or less a dumbed down version.

you want that kind of realism you need FSX.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Don't think its possible. This is the weakest part of the game imo.

Although when approaching a field, press 1 for nav, 1 again for ILS, the press next waypoint and I think it cycles through all the ILS available and shows distance to field, so cycle it until you find the closest field. I don't think there is a previous nav point button so will will have to cycle through the whole list a couple of times to find it.

I presume you are flyng the SU25T. If not, then I wouldn't even bother with crosswind landings, the flight physics at touchdown are so poor, you are aswell flying a nice approach then pressing escape before touchdown and going to the next missions.

I really enjoy formaiton landings but the AI land so fast its not really possible, Tornado 209kts, F16 190kts and I can't get me head around they traffic pattern they use?

Edited by Dr_Watson
  • Like 1

well your close but no cigar as this flight sim is anyting but an acurate flight sim it's more or less a dumbed down version.

you want that kind of realism you need X-Plane. There, fixed that for ya (X-Plane was invented so a real pilot, Austin Meyer, could practice his instrument flying - unlike FSX, which was originally designed as a game by SubLogic).

• Like 1

Oneway

You cycle through ILS / airfields with the same key as you use for waypoints, (`) on my keyboard, after selecting ILS mode with ‘1’. The ILS cycles and you have to declare ‘inbound’ or whatever to determine which airfield’s ILS you are now tracking.

Use the map view to help with names and orientation.

As for autopilot systems, the SU-25T has the most advanced AP in-game with wings levellers, trim neutraliser, (or the tabbed equivalent), pitch hold, etc. For all these needs, fly the SU-25T.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals

Better yet. DCS ;)

As far as your questions, it is indeed important for us to know which airplane do you fly.

A small hint, though. Russian planes can select any airfield they like (by cycling), while US planes, if I'm not mistaken, cannot, at all.

As far as wind is concerned, active runway should be dependent on the wind, but only one runway will have ILS

• Like 1

Better yet. DCS ;)

As far as your questions, it is indeed important for us to know which airplane do you fly.

A small hint, though. Russian planes can select any airfield they like (by cycling), while US planes, if I'm not mistaken, cannot, at all.

As far as wind is concerned, active runway should be dependent on the wind, but only one runway will have ILS

You can cycle in US planes, but the only way to determine which one you have cycled to is to contact the tower. In Russian planes the airfileds are numbered IIRC.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals

Better yet. DCS

I doubt that. You may get slighty better arrival procedures in DCS : A10, but I wouldn't count on anything FSX/X-plane like. The tower comunication in DCS : BS is basicaly on the same lvl as in Flaming Cliffs.

After all, it is a military sims and the bread and butter should be in the way you have to plan, approach and perform your missions, and not in following strict IAP procedures.

Go for a civil sim if you want procedures practices. You are also able to create much wilder weather conditions there.

• Like 1

To be honest, even FSX is pretty lame at airfield operations. Falcon 4.0 had better ATC IMO. In FSX you have to buy loads of addons to beef it up.

There is a lot of scope for modders in FC2.0 there I think, but its hard. Immersion isn't easy. Much easier to do a skin or .cgf tweak.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hey your right here I was thinking it didnt work because last week I try it and it did'nt I'll be darn thanks...:thumbup:

Mastiff, you crazy man. There are lots of things FC can do that FSX can't and vice versa.

Oneshot, what plane are looking help for or you want reference for all?

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Heh, its not exactly clear in the manual. A proper "airport / approach procedure" would be good. I've picked this stuff up from the forums to be honest. That and pressing all the buttons to see whsat happens!:joystick:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

FSX is the by far the worst pice of cr*p I've bought in years! Years!

And by bying the FSX sim you only started the money roll! FC1, 1.1, 1.2, FC2 and FC2 1.2.1 are all better than FSX both in Simulation and game play!

(HJ)

More Questions:

When setting up wind in the environmental mission settings will the in game ILS approach change to take into consideration current wind?

How can I turn off the HUD entirely so am forced to use panel for my approach procedures? I want to practice steam gauge approaches in nasty conditions...civilian IFR typically finds the student in a hood...we can't do that in the game but how do you turn OFF the HUD

Wind won't affect anything. All of the fields have only one ILS. They don't really have a back-course either, just a CDI flip. In DCS:Black Shark, you can use ADF.

As far as turning off the HUD goes, you can set it as a "failure" in the mission editor. (Check your game manual for how to do that) You won't get it back when you want it later in the mission, but hey, at least you wont be peeking! :thumbup:

Thanks to all of you for your replies/answers...

...so it turns out you can cycle the fields as one poster pointed out along the lines of cycling ords...I can turn off the HUD in the editor (thats great!)...each field only has 1 ILS approach, there is no back course...

Just to clear things up...I am not interested in ILS approaches other than I want to completely familiarize myself with the A10 instruments, procedures etc that are not related to weapons...instrument flying is the fastest way to familiarize yourself with an aircraft, and nothing shoves it down your throat faster than a night approach with heavy weather, cross wind and turbulence and nearly zero visibility...

When I have feel like flying the A10 is second nature...then I will train on the weapons systems...

One step at a time for me...

Again thanks....Off to shoot ILS approaches

Salute

Did you find out the autopilot keys? Alt 1 through 6 enable various useful autopilot modes that you want.

The key reference for your aircraft lists them, you can find it in your game directory under the Doc folder.

Did you find out the autopilot keys? Alt 1 through 6 enable various useful autopilot modes that you want.

The key reference for your aircraft lists them, you can find it in your game directory under the Doc folder.

Well I am flying the A10 and I have played around with AP and read the flight manual but still haven't found an AP mode that neutralizes trim, rolls wings level, maintains altitude and heading...

The other mode I would like to see is a speed mode where the aircraft neutralizes trim, rolls wings level, maintains speed and heading...this mode would be used for long descents or climb outs...using the throttle as your vertical velocity control

Oneway...

I wonder if thats for the A10 only cause I can do it in a F15?

It doesn't look like you can cycle active fields using the tilde key for American aircraft....

Bummer

As far as turning off the HUD goes, you can set it as a "failure" in the mission editor. (Check your game manual for how to do that) You won't get it back when you want it later in the mission, but hey, at least you wont be peeking! :thumbup:

I am not finding this feature in the mission editor...nor have I found it in either the quickstart pdf or the "flight manual" pdf

The only thing I have found in the mission editor is the Mission Options panel...and that has nothing...

Is there a command line editor I need to invoke to force a HUD system failure as a design feature of a mission?

Oneway

LOMAC FC 2.0

Edited by Oneway

you need to click on the plane then click on the mission parameters.

I am not finding this feature in the mission editor...nor have I found it in either the quickstart pdf or the "flight manual" pdf

The only thing I have found in the mission editor is the Mission Options panel...and that has nothing...

Is there a command line editor I need to invoke to force a HUD system failure as a design feature of a mission?

Oneway

LOMAC FC 2.0

A strong enough wind will change the ILS approach on some bases to the opposite way of the original ILS. Not sure which ones, but I bet search in these forums will reveal more info.

You can manually switch ILSN to another base in the F-15 or the A-10. use the key combo of "LCtrl+~". This feature is new to FC2. The problem I find is that I have no idea what base I am selecting unless I know I am close as there isn't an indication of what airport you have selected.

The option for failures is only available to the aircraft set as player. You will see the icon appear when the plane is set to player to the right of the route, targeting etc. buttons. Details are there in the GUI manual.

Hmmm....

Messing with wind speed and direction I have managed to change the active/ILS runway at home base...

Strange

Kobaletti active is now 07 instead of 255...

Edited by Oneway

The other mode I would like to see is a speed mode where the aircraft neutralizes trim, rolls wings level, maintains speed and heading...this mode would be used for long descents or climb outs...using the throttle as your vertical velocity control

Oneway...

SU-25T has these modelled. The frogfoot is the only plane with this advanced flight modelling. Wait for DCS: A-10 for all this in the Hog, (he says hopefully)

The problem I find is that I have no idea what base I am selecting unless I know I am close as there isn't an indication of what airport you have selected.

Crunch - theres no instruments way. Once selected just declare 'inbound' and your pilot calls out the right airport name. (must have a hidden kneeboard!)

Edited by coolts

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]