U.S. Navy AC-paintings

Laud

Hi there!

I look for someone who can explain me when the different paint-schemes are applied.

Example: VFA-103 - There are three paint schemes: Hi-Vis (grey, black, yellow), Mid-Vis (grey, black), Lo-Vis (grey).

So which of the schemes is used when?

As far as I understand there are also some small differences for CAG/CO aircraft (#200 and #201??).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming, Intel Core i7 9700k , 32gb Corsair DDR4-3200

Asus RTX 2070 super, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M2, Win10 64bit, Acer XZ321QU (WQHD)

TM HOTAS Warthog, SAITEK Rudder Pedals, TIR 5

Are you serious? No one has a clue???

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yap, it pretty sure depends on situation, but why the mid-vis? I'd expect one hi-vis and one low-vis. One for fighting one for training (beeing "at home").

I really hope, someone can clear this up a bit!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thank you Topol for the vote of confidence, but you give me to much credit. I do not know much about USN doctrines and standards.

Where do you get the hi-vis, etc, standard? Do you have any examples?

Aircraft paint is more 80%corrosion control, 5% camouflage, 15% presentation ( we do not like the taxpayers to see dirty aircraft).

What I mean is the main purpose is to control and minimize corrosion of the aircraft

Not sure the technical manual for the USN or USMC but you can find some info on USAF by searching for 1-1-691,35-1-3 and applicable -23 T.O. (1F-16C-23-1) Maybe one of this Technical Manual will explained what you are looking for.

Not sure how the USN does things, but I doubt the paint the aircraft differently for combat or training, ect

AFAIK, their main concern is salt corrosion control.

I know this does not provide a direct answer, but I'm never heard the paint schemes you are referring to and I'm not in the USN.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Just to make clear what I talk about:

The picture shows the hi-vis and med-vis variants of the VFA-103 Super Hornets. The lo-vis variant has grey vert.-stabs instead of black/dark grey.

(Picture source: Fightertown Decals)

VFA-103_3Web2.thumb.jpg.a07f5f652578ca2639d950a11a0e2064.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You can always try to contact the USN public affair office

http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

looking at photos, I'm obviously guessing,

Hi and mid vis schemes are for public relation/ airshow/ static display etc. Only few selected aircraft get this paint. I only noted 4 different Buno(100,103,200,201)

While low vis is normal/combat/operational paint. Sorry just guessing

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

Hm... sounds reasonable.

I'll keep on researching this.

EDIT: Just recieved this answer at the ARC-Forums:

VFA-103 along with just about every other squadron in the strike fighter community is allowed to paint 2 jets in full squadron colors. Typically the CAG bird and the CO's jets are the ones that get the full color paint schemes.

VFA-103's story is slightly different. When 103 trannied over to the F-18F, they did have 2 full color jets, but by the time they got on their first combat cruise in 06-07, about mid-way through, they had taken it down to 1. Also, during that cruise all the line jets, to include 201 had dk grey tails.

Shortly after they returned, the Navy brass stepped in and asked 103 to remove the dk grey tails, and 103 asked if 201 could retain them since they didn't have a second hi vis jet painted. Navy brass approved.

So, since about summer of 2007, VFA-103 has had their 201 jet painted with dk grey tails while 200 has been hi vis, and the other line jets have been painted per the current Navy standard.

Edited by Laud

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There you go, seems you found the answer. We have something similar in the USAF but the USN sure have far more intricate and contrasting paints, more like typical paint schemes of the 1970's

To whom it may concern,

I also asked for the BuNo-thing. This is what I was told:

Typically, yes, the 100,200,300, etc., are the CAG birds. 101, 201, 301, etc., are the CO's jets.

To make things more confusing, before the F-14 retired, squadrons like 103 chose the 103 jet as their CO's bird. So, in other words, Victory 103 cotained the CO and XO's names on the canopy spots....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 months later...

And now here is the result of my research:

My 1/48 Super Bug:

F-18F-Finish_14.jpg

More pictures:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=212177

:D

Edited by Laud
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm mainly familiar with two different types of US Navy paintings. CAG and Line.

DS-F18-002.jpg

CAG are generally "prettier". They are employed, but are in the back of the line, and only see sorties for a special occasion or if there's a really empty deck. It's part of Naval tradition from when they'd paint yellow wings on special aircraft.

Normally, CAG aircraft have double nut tail numbers. (Two 0s on the tail, ie: 300)

VFA83CAG2008-1.jpg

Edited by 636_Castle

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

How To Fix Your X-52's Rudder!

Thanks for your answer Castle! But as you may have noticed, the answer was already given in a prior posting. I now just wanted to show you guys the outcome of the question -> my 1/48 VFA-103 Super Hornet.

But thanks for pics and information!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No no, it's plain plastic with some colour...

It just got some contrast and brightness touches with photoshop. Just check the other pics I linked.

Great you like it. It took me 4 months to build...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TY Vekkinho!

I'm a Flanker-Pilot - I like 'em dirty, ya know... :D

But seriously: I love Navy-Jets when they look like what they are. I hate those clean CAG-Birds. They just look like they're part of a circus or something. A rifle is also never painted in shiny colours...

Next Project will be a VF-103 F-14B. Line-Jet of course!!! I'll drop some pics here as soon as she is completed. (<- that might take a few month...)

I promise, she will be even more worn out! :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A few years ago I got a free book, it was titled, USN A4-Skyhawk Paint Schemes, or something like that, I cant recall what the exact title was, but it was something like that.

I thought how cool, I love that plane, seriously, I really like that plane along with the intruder.

I thought to myself that I will be able to see all the funky paint schemes that they have for each squadron/carrier etc and from the cover it really wetted my tastebuds.

I opened the book to find out the entire thing was made up of Black and White pictures :doh:

Major Phail.

Too bad the Navy gave up the high-vis schemes of the 60s and 70s for all birds. I think those looked fantastic.

But those high-vis schemes just lacked too much the look of a military aircraft. The current birds in TPS with just a slightly painted vert-stab is just to the point in my eyes.

However, at an airshow a high-vis (CAG) scheme is ok... It's like circus then, right?! ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TY Vekkinho!

I'm a Flanker-Pilot - I like 'em dirty, ya know... :D

But seriously: I love Navy-Jets when they look like what they are. I hate those clean CAG-Birds. They just look like they're part of a circus or something. A rifle is also never painted in shiny colours...

Next Project will be a VF-103 F-14B. Line-Jet of course!!! I'll drop some pics here as soon as she is completed. (<- that might take a few month...)

I promise, she will be even more worn out! :thumbup:

You like NAVY, you fly Flankers so here's something 4 U I made it 12 years ago when I had enough free time...those were the days...

su331ci2.jpg

It's 1/48 as well but sorry for off topic!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Great bird man!!

Not sooo much OT... ;)

I returned to the hobby after about 20years... Just take the time once and then! I had so much fun building the Hornet. It was worth the time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gotta bunch of kits to do too. Among them a Mig-29. :)

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P