Possible fix for “Launcher.exe has stopped working”

Solved

Issue description

launcher.exe has stopped working when launching DCS Black Shark from shortcut. DCS Black Shark multiplayer is starting with no issues.

Uninstalled and reinstalled DCS Black Shark, no changes. Issue still up.

Patched to 1.0.2, no changes, Issue still up.

Issue is occurring on ATI Catalyst 9 series and higher (10 series too, using Driver sweeper when upgrading catalyst is recommended).

Disable Catalyst AI (which is not recommended if you use multiple GPU’s). Computer restarted no changes. Issue still up.

Downgrading video driver to catalyst 8 series is not a solution I do not want to apply. Reinstalling windows, to use generic video driver, is not a solution as all other software are working with no issues.

Computer set up:

OS Dual Boot: Windows XP 32bit (using catalyst 8 series, no issues) and Vista 64 (using catalyst 10 series,”launcher.exe has stopped working” issue).

Video card: ATI 4870X2

Solution for Vista 64 (using catalyst 10 series):

Change Windows Vista Display resolution to 1024*768, start DCS Black Shark. No “launcher.exe has stopped working” when launching DCS Black Shark.

Change resolution in DCS Black Shark option to desired resolution (desktop resolution ex. 1680*1050).

How to apply solution (on Vista):

1. Right click on an empty spot on desktop

2. Click on Personalize.

3. Click on Display Settings.

4. In Display Settings Window: Set/Drag the Resolution to 1024*768.

5 Click Apply, for “Do you want to keep these display settings?” Click Yes.

6. Launch DCS Black Shark from your DCS Black Shark shortcut (Black Shark 1.0.2 shortcut after patch).

7. In DCS Black Shark, click on Options.

8. In Options, set resolution to desired resolution (ex. 1680*1050). Click OK, Click Exit.

9. Back in Vista, Open Display Settings.

10. In Display Settings: Set/Drag the Resolution back to desired resolution.

11. Click Ok, for “Do you want to keep these display settings?” Click Yes.

12. Launch DCS Black Shark from DCS Black Shark shortcut (Black Shark 1.0.2 shortcut after patch).

i tried that allready with the version before 1.02.

still have the problem since 11.4.2010.

i also dont belive its an isse of ATI Catalyst 9 series and higher, because on our second computer with same videocard familiy and same driverversion it works from beginning on.

add:

i forgott to mention something.

when i do your procedure and change win resolution to 1024*768, then i dont get the windows error message "launcher.exe stopped working", but the game still dont starts.

i have a loadingpicture of bs with this ka-50 on it and i hear 3-4 seconds music. the music stops sudden and then i can see the loadingscreen with the heli as long as i like to, but it wont load to the main menue.

Edited by JG11Preusse