Video editing software

Bucic

Thank you for lots of good tips, Bucic! :thumbup: Will look into this for my next video experiment.

Kdenlive probably has automatic restore, but I am somewhat paranoid when it comes to losing data so I never quite trust such mechanisms - and I did lose data a few times during the process. I am happy just pressing Save once in a while to stay on the safe side;-)

Mostly using Kdenlive was a nice experience, and the product is definitely moving in the right direction. As they get closer to an 1.0 most bugs should probably disappear.

ASUS Maximus IV Extreme B3 | Intel i7-2600K | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz | GeForce GTX 580 1536MB | Corsair SSD 128GB | TrackIR4 Pro | Saitek X52 Pro | CH Pro Pedals | Win7 x64

You're welcome!

Mostly using Kdenlive was a nice experience, and the product is definitely moving in the right direction. As they get closer to an 1.0 most bugs should probably disappear.

And spreading the word about Kdenlive will certainly accelerate that process ;) It certainly will give quicker returns than VLMC which is far on the horizon http://trac.videolan.org/vlmc/roadmap

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Blender Sequencer

Mentioned before. Unlike most of the editors listed in this topic it's not only for Linux. It's multiplatform i.e. Windows gets it too.

http://my.opera.com/area42/blog/2011/10/01/professional-open-source-video-editing-on-linux-with-blender

blender.jpg

• 8 months later...

1. minimum preview capabilities of the output
  2. custom video frame size, FPS and ratio
  3. custom fitting of video materiall in different ratio than video frame (black bars, cutting, stretching)
  4. usage of any codec installed on my system (x264 and DivX at least) within the most popular containers (avi, mp4 at least). Or at least a lossless output in HuffYUV or similar codec so I will be able to compress in an external application without quality loss.
  5. despite possibly available HD 720p - a control over the output video bit rate
  6. basic sound track replacement (I can do the rest in Audacity if I have to)
  7. inserting custom frames - few seconds of information screen for example
  8. inserting PNG graphics (I can create it myself) as an overlay (pointers, arrows etc.)
  9. has some basic set of filters (greyscale, old movie, color correction)
  10. split-views (like in Frazer's demo) highly desirable

For all these, I'd highly recommend Serif MoviePlus X5 or X6 (I got X5 for 14 GBP from their CEO as a promo deal after purchasing their web development software WebPlus X5, which helped me alot in making my office website, and sported a shitload of options, including e-commerce.)

1- Preview. Available from either DVD menu or render all tracks on file. Charms if your system is x64. My recent vids were made with it.

2- Custom frame size - Check. FPS PAL/NTSC 29.9 or 25 or any figure as a custom output option. Codec is flash/H.264/ xvid/ generic/ and some other stuff I cant remember now. But also the option for a youtube export. Oh yes, the mp4 as well.

Project ratio (aspect ratio)-check. warns you if project aspect smaller or larger than acquired media.

3- Overlaying (Pic in pic) and transform (resize video size, and move it inside a parent video. - check.

4- Codecs you mentioned are in it. (remember, I own X5 not X6).

5- Upto 1290 X 1080 P/Interlaced possible via NTSC / PAL project setting and output setting (export setting)

6- Has all the basic filters you need. also stabilization for shaky footage, HSV correction, color RGB channel mixer, brightness/contrast, old movie

inserting custom frames - few seconds of information screen for example

7-inserting PNG graphics (I can create it myself) as an overlay (pointers, arrows etc.)

8-has some basic set of filters (greyscale, old movie, color correction)

9-split-views (like in Frazer's demo) highly desirable

If you don't get it for that price, and go after vague-ass, you're a big choo choo!!!

http://www.mediafire.com/?0bc1128vtvaz948

Those are screens from MoviePlusX5 straight from my laptop. They show everything you wanted. And please, this is a no-brainer deal. I'm not part of the company, but I wanted to help you, that's all.

Link to product page

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

For all these, I'd highly recommend Serif MoviePlus X5 or X6 (I got X5 for 14 GBP from their CEO as a promo deal after purchasing their web development software WebPlus X5, which helped me alot in making my office website, and sported a shitload of options, including e-commerce.)

1- Preview. Available from either DVD menu or render all tracks on file. Charms if your system is x64. My recent vids were made with it.

2- Custom frame size - Check. FPS PAL/NTSC 29.9 or 25 or any figure as a custom output option. Codec is flash/H.264/ xvid/ generic/ and some other stuff I cant remember now. But also the option for a youtube export. Oh yes, the mp4 as well.

Project ratio (aspect ratio)-check. warns you if project aspect smaller or larger than acquired media.

3- Overlaying (Pic in pic) and transform (resize video size, and move it inside a parent video. - check.

4- Codecs you mentioned are in it. (remember, I own X5 not X6).

5- Upto 1290 X 1080 P/Interlaced possible via NTSC / PAL project setting and output setting (export setting)

6- Has all the basic filters you need. also stabilization for shaky footage, HSV correction, color RGB channel mixer, brightness/contrast, old movie

inserting custom frames - few seconds of information screen for example

7-inserting PNG graphics (I can create it myself) as an overlay (pointers, arrows etc.)

8-has some basic set of filters (greyscale, old movie, color correction)

9-split-views (like in Frazer's demo) highly desirable

If you don't get it for that price, and go after vague-ass, you're a big choo choo!!!

http://www.mediafire.com/?0bc1128vtvaz948

Those are screens from MoviePlusX5 straight from my laptop. They show everything you wanted. And please, this is a no-brainer deal. I'm not part of the company, but I wanted to help you, that's all.

Link to product page

I'm on linux now but a very good recommendation non the less. Indeed it seems it meets all of the requirements I specified.

OK, sorry for posting a video recording software update in your thred then :huh:

No problemo!

Edited by Bucic

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

[YOUTUBE]chbN0uKOkz4[/ YOUTUBE]

Re our previous discussion about direct stream copy mode - no, this video doesn't present whether the editor features or does not feature direct stream copy mode. Direct stream copy mode is a feature of e.g. VirtualDub. It allows for basic editing of a video (cutting, rearranging, removing parts of it etc.) without video re-compression*. If you don't understand what re-compression is, you won't be able to tell whether particular editor has dsc mode or not :)

In dsc mode an editor does not modify any frame, even by a pixel. In this mode you can cut out a portion of a video in VirtualDub and it won't even ask you about output format because the format will be exactly the same as input format (stream). A video manipulated in dsc mode does not degrade. After 10 exports you'll still get the same quality.

Dsc applies both to audio and video.

I hope it clears it up.

Further reading:

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/avtech/amvappvdubmod.html

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/249731-Tutorial-Using-VirtualDub-Mod-to-Split-or-Save-Part-of-an-avi-File

Edited by Bucic

well I'm not that techy, so I'm afraid I can't help you with that. You may want to hit serif forums and pop a question though. they are quick to respond from my experience.

• Like 1

I popped a thread to serif just for you:

http://forums.serif.com/showthread.php?t=114079

Check it, please.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 4 years later...
On 5/17/2010 at 6:48 PM, Bucic said:

Related topic: Audio editing software - free and open source

Related topic: RECORD AVI - a Mission Editor tool - RAT

Can anyone recommend a somewhat established simple video editor (non-linear), preferably freeware? I'm not going to record anything today but after getting gray hair :wallbash: assembling my first few videos

in infamous VirtualDUB I'd like to avoid that mistake in the future.

I did some small research. Here's what I found:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_editing_software

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_video_editing_software

Freeware

VideoSpin pinnacle http://www.softpedia.com/progScreenshots/Pinnacle-VideoSpin-Screenshot-93527.html

VLMC http://blog.l0cal.com/

trakAxPC http://www.trakax.com/software/pc/

Payware

Vegas Movie Studio

I need a video editor that basically allows for efficient making of similar videos

that is featuring at least

1. minimum preview capabilities of the output
  2. custom video frame size, FPS and ratio
  3. custom fitting of video materiall in different ratio than video frame (black bars, cutting, stretching)
  4. usage of any codec installed on my system (x264 and DivX at least) within the most popular containers (avi, mp4 at least). Or at least a lossless output in HuffYUV or similar codec so I will be able to compress in an external application without quality loss.
  5. despite possibly available HD 720p - a control over the output video bit rate
  6. basic sound track replacement (I can do the rest in Audacity if I have to)
  7. inserting custom frames - few seconds of information screen for example
  8. inserting PNG graphics (I can create it myself) as an overlay (pointers, arrows etc.)
  9. has some basic set of filters (greyscale, old movie, color correction)
  10. split-views (like in Frazer's demo) highly desirable

What I don't want

Windows Movie Maker

:gun_rifle: VirtualDUB or Avidemux

Now, as you can see I don't want to compete with Hollywood.

VideoSpin is simply a more advanced alternative to Windows Movie Maker and it was almost a perfect solution for me but it does not provide features 3 to 5 without the codec pack you have to pay $15 for.

VLMC looks promising but it hasn't been released yet.

trakAxPC is the only contender now even though it has a cheesy GUI and looks overcomplicated to my needs.

Vegas Movie Studio looks like a perfect solution (oscar for the GUI!) but the cheapest version is ~40 euros! A solid no-go.

I made this in an hour using free DaVinci Resolve.

This one took 2, as it was one of the first ones i made..

But DaVinci does all the work for you..

Hope it helps..

Edited by StevanJ

• 2 years later...