fc2 shilka stand off distance and sam q

so apparently fc2 changed the charatoristics of the shilka... last i remember from some vids online the shilka could be engaged with the a10s mini from about 1.2 to .9 miles without taking fire back... now it seems they fire ALOT sooner.

also, is ammo calculated for guns of aa or just for sams?

played the first mission in the a10 campaign in fc2 for a few minutes to get reaquinted... and the sam (not sure of type) they have way north at the airfield seems to have unlimited ammo? i played chicked with it for longer then i can remember and it didnt seem to run out of missles to lob at me. wonder if this is just because there are a half dozen launchers at the airbase, or if its just not taken into account for certain sam types.

High altitude prevents shilka/zsu risk, as well as almost preventing MANPADs and some Strela type launches.

When no major cloud cover, I come in at 5000m, launch vikhrs at much greater than normal launch range (because of altitude help), and turn back up into altitude as soon as the hit is seen on the screen.

Assume same could be done with A-10 and maverick camera... if you're not using the cannon. But then air defence should be taken out at standoff range and cannon reserved for those poor defenceless leftovers :)

Edited by TAIPAN_
cloud

Pimax Crystal VR & Simpit User | Ryzen CPU & Nvidia RTX GPU | Some of my mods

I think the Shilkas aren't very accurate at the edge of their firing range though. I haven't played pre-FC2 LockOn so I don't have anything to compare it to. Yesterday I did make 3 or 4 gun runs on a (moving) Shilka attacking from about 1 mile off and breaking before I finally took it out. It fired at me on each pass but never hit me.

For ammo, I think ground vehicles all have unlimited ammunition, except the game does keep track of their currently active ammo. For example, a Strela launcher has 4 missiles (I think), and once it's fired all 4 it has to reload and can't fire again until that's happened. I don't know how long it takes to reload, but presumably it's at least a few minutes.

So I think they probably have a certain number of shots depending on how many tubes they carry, but an unlimited number of reloads. For the SAM sites in the campaign, they do tend to have at 3-4 launchers, and likely 6+. Each of those has several missiles, so you'll need to work very hard to get them to run out of ammunition even temporarily. And even if you do get a launcher to expend all its ammo, it's likely there'll be other launchers.

So, I think you won't have much luck getting a SAM site to run out of ammo so you can run in on it. That tactic will work okay against mobile SAMs, I think. So long as there aren't too many of them.

All that said -- it's possible they do have limited ammo. I don't recall ever being engaged by a MANPADS after its initial reloads (3 for Stingers, I think) are out. But possibly I just didn't hang around long enough for it to get a fresh set.

P.S. I'm basing my theory of unlimited ammo for ground vehicles on the way their guns behave (e.g. watch some AK-47 troops firing at each other). On the other hand... I have seen an APC firing Saggers at infantry and eventually running out of them, and never firing missiles again. So... maybe missiles are a limited commodity for ground units?

Even so, you'd have to dodge dozens of missiles to get a SAM site to run out...

yea i noticed that they match the number of missles pictured in the 3d model, but never took in account reloading.

dodging sams is the one thing im good at after playing falcon 4 af haha... and the ai doesnt seem to try to lure you in. ill have to make a custom misson and put on god mode and see how many rounds the sa can pop off before it stops to reload, if at all.

ive had no luck at all with rockets except on fuel trucks in convoy, it takes far to many of them to take out single targets, im just far to inaccurate, ill get twice as close as if i am using the cannon, and for soft targets its usuallt less then a half second burst to set them ablaze, where i find myself dumping 4-6 rockets just to hit them accuratly. im assuming real world those rockets cost more then the fuel trucks themselves haha

alright, i set up an sa11 sr and sa unit out in a field, got it to fire off all 4 missles, and waited nother 8 minutes before blowing it up, in which time it never reloaded. im wondering if you put a supply truck or some sort within a certain range if it will, and if so, how long it would take.