Wingman or box of rocks?

Woots

I don't know which is more stupid. Especially after the 1.02 patch. I restarted Deployment campaign after the patch and my wingman has been acting like a UN observer. He calls out contacts automatically now (new in 1.02?) but WILL NOT engage when ordered. Says unable or negative while we're both getting shot at. Anyone else notice this?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I flew two missions back to back.

In the first attempt, I remembered telling my wingman to go to combat spread as we flew to the target. Once at the target, he would not engage and I died.

In the second attempt, I didn't give him any formation commands as we flew to the target. Once at the target he would engage and he died.

Asking him to go to combat spread is the only difference between the two attempts. I wonder if I had him "rejoin formation" prior reaching the target area he would have engaged in the first attempt.

Edited by Woots

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for the warning on the 1.02 Patch.

I've found some use for the wingman's habit of running into the enemies muzzles. He can be used as a distraction. I let him run about halfway to the assigned target and then recall him. After he's on the way back I order him to engage the same target again. While the bad guys are shooting at my AI yoyo I sneak in and kill someone. Quite often I never get noticed. But, then there are always those other times when I get the paint scratched by a sam.

I don't know which is more stupid. Especially after the 1.02 patch. I restarted Deployment campaign after the patch and my wingman has been acting like a UN observer. He calls out contacts automatically now (new in 1.02?) but WILL NOT engage when ordered. Says unable or negative while we're both getting shot at. Anyone else notice this?

Since the patch this is what I do. When near the target area, order your wingman to do recon right into the enemy positions. When you see the AAA and SAMS destroy him, you will know where the enemy AAA/SAMS are to avoid you getting killed.

That's about the only useful thing I found for wingman so far...

• Like 1

i7-12700k, 32GB Ram, RTX 3060 12GB, TrackIR 5, Lots of SSD Space, etc etc

DCS World - All the cool modules

Some people have been able to get the AI wingman to hover shoot Vikhrs at standoff but never me. 10cm out of Vikhr range the "attack my target" command always comes back "unable." When he does shoot Vikhrs it's always from about 3km or closer.

I actually got some in-formation wingman shooting. I think it might be tied to your speed (slower than X) and if he's in range.

I couldn't get him to engage beyond Vikhr range ("Unable") so I tried to use "Attack datalink target by type" ... he just range over on top of the point and got gunned down by some ZUs.

I actually got some in-formation wingman shooting. I think it might be tied to your speed (slower than X) and if he's in range.

I couldn't get him to engage beyond Vikhr range ("Unable") so I tried to use "Attack datalink target by type" ... he just range over on top of the point and got gunned down by some ZUs.

This is because you are sending him wrong info. If you have for example target 1 selected from PVI-800 Navigation Control Panel and then detect a target lock on it and then send it through datalink you wingman will not get the target info but the target 1 coordinates. So when you order attack datalink target it will not attack but go to that location.

Edited by connos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ASUS M4A79 Deluxe, AMD Phenom II X4 940@3.5GHz, ATI 6870 1GB, Windows 7 64bit, Kingstone HyperX 4GB, 2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB, Asus Xonar DX Sound Card, Saitek X52 PRO, TrackIR 44: Pro.

wow thios is wicked confusing!) i need to do my own checkride this evening. but to be honest, i almost used to send my wingman back to base, cause he haven t done yet, what i want from him.

my question, is it a bug or is it some special condition, how to talk to him, that he ll do what i want?)

TM HOTAS WH :joystick:, Saitek Pro Pedals, Track IR 4, 2xJoyWarrier, 1x KeyWarrior, i52500k @4600MHz, ASUS P8Z68-V Pro, NV 670GT, SSD+ WD BC+ WD Raptor, 32HD:pilotfly:[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think if you could cimbine the order "attack my target, or air defenses etc" and "hold position" the wingmen would be far more usefull. Wingman always seem to close in to cannon range once you give them orders, making the toast.

Using datalink always worked for me. What I want from ED is for the wingman to be able to attack from formation, to report when he is out off Vikhr and not to proceed and attack with rockets after he is run out from Vikhr. And finally to get better position before Vikhr attacks and not to constantly hit the ground and waist Vikhr missiles.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ASUS M4A79 Deluxe, AMD Phenom II X4 940@3.5GHz, ATI 6870 1GB, Windows 7 64bit, Kingstone HyperX 4GB, 2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB, Asus Xonar DX Sound Card, Saitek X52 PRO, TrackIR 44: Pro.

Using datalink always worked for me. What I want from ED is for the wingman to be able to attack from formation, to report when he is out off Vikhr and not to proceed and attack with rockets after he is run out from Vikhr. And finally to get better position before Vikhr attacks and not to constantly hit the ground and waist Vikhr missiles.

Is there still no way to make wingmen report on their weapons status? If so then it's ridiculous, sorry to say that.

Is there still no way to make wingmen report on their weapons status? If so then it's ridiculous, sorry to say that.

Yes there isn't any such command.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This is because you are sending him wrong info. If you have for example target 1 selected from PVI-800 Navigation Control Panel and then detect a target lock on it and then send it through datalink you wingman will not get the target info but the target 1 coordinates. So when you order attack datalink target it will not attack but go to that location.

Then the wingman is psychic because he flew to my intended DL point and not my current NAVTGT point and got shot down anyway. Even if he did go to the point I didn't intend, there were plenty of targets at the NAVTGT point for him to engage as well. ;)

Well, yesterday all three of my wingmen flew straight into the (firendly) fire of four MRLS'.

Really nice. All died. And that without being a decoy for my enemies, no, they just took out a few of our own MRLS missiles.

The best thing is that even I (quite unexperienced) saw those missiles flying and stopped my helo, waiting for the MRLS to stop firing. Just my wingmen did not bother.

By the way, this is repeatable, they always do that.

Don't get me wrong, I really like that game.

I just can't help to get the feeling that it is mainly a super-detailed, nearly perfect, simulation of a KA-50 - and beyond that, things like fighting or AI are some kind of "nice extra" - but clearly not the most important thing.

As the programmers just recently brought out a 1GB patch I am just hoping that they will improve those things here and there, now and then - apart from the AI there actually have been quite a few very impressive improvements in the latest patch. Maybe the AI will be among the next improvements...?

Another thing which I wanted to ask - is this stupidity just a problem of the wingmen or of NPC units overall? I noticed that no enemy whom I took under fire so long tried to evade my fire.

Not even a BMP would flee when I was firing gun rounds at it. That is more like target practice. Admitted, when I get too close they will fire back. Alright. But they never ever change position or try to take cover or maybe even try to get closer to me (yes, sometimes they would have had plenty of opportunity for doing that, with nice roads where they could have driven to my position very quickly...)

Is that always the same or is this a scripting-issue - maybe the guy designing the mission just forgot to activate the "take evasive maneuvers if shot at-button" ?

Edited by Prophet
  • Like 1

I have found that the mods by goldfinger35, http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=46389 help wingie's IQ. His mod #7 is related to AI IQ, not sure what he did, but I get a bit more respect, better luck with him taking up a stand-off position, if I send him after a general area, he seems to actually stop the attack once he has exhausted Vikhrs rather than going in with rockets and gun.

2600K @ 4.2GHz, MSI P67A-GD55, 16GB G.Skill @2133 , GTX 970, Rift, SSD boot & DCS drive

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Have you tried turning off Civ traffic? Was mentioned on here somewhere and it works for me.

What do you mean it works??

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, yesterday all three of my wingmen flew straight into the (firendly) fire of four MRLS'.

Really nice. All died. And that without being a decoy for my enemies, no, they just took out a few of our own MRLS missiles.

The best thing is that even I (quite unexperienced) saw those missiles flying and stopped my helo, waiting for the MRLS to stop firing. Just my wingmen did not bother.

By the way, this is repeatable, they always do that.

Don't get me wrong, I really like that game.

I just can't help to get the feeling that it is mainly a super-detailed, nearly perfect, simulation of a KA-50 - and beyond that, things like fighting or AI are some kind of "nice extra" - but clearly not the most important thing.

As the programmers just recently brought out a 1GB patch I am just hoping that they will improve those things here and there, now and then - apart from the AI there actually have been quite a few very impressive improvements in the latest patch. Maybe the AI will be among the next improvements...?

Another thing which I wanted to ask - is this stupidity just a problem of the wingmen or of NPC units overall? I noticed that no enemy whom I took under fire so long tried to evade my fire.

Not even a BMP would flee when I was firing gun rounds at it. That is more like target practice. Admitted, when I get too close they will fire back. Alright. But they never ever change position or try to take cover or maybe even try to get closer to me (yes, sometimes they would have had plenty of opportunity for doing that, with nice roads where they could have driven to my position very quickly...)

Is that always the same or is this a scripting-issue - maybe the guy designing the mission just forgot to activate the "take evasive maneuvers if shot at-button" ?

Nope, the AI is really as bad as it appears, by far one of the weakest points of DCS/LOFC2. It's difficult even to just script ground units to drive from point a to point b- half the time, they stop for no reason whatsoever. Whenever I build a mission with moving units, most of my testing time is just trying to get the units to drive when and where they are supposed to. The pathing is TERRIBLE. They also take no evasive action, as you noticed, and can see through trees, darkness, clouds, rain fog, etc.

Edited by Speed

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Member of the Virtual Tactical Air Group: http://vtacticalairgroup.com/

Lua scripts and mods:

MIssion Scripting Tools (Mist): http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98616

Slmod version 7.0 for DCS: World: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80979

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.