Introduction!

Conure

Handling once at speed is very similar to a fixed-wing, yeah. The Ka-50 also has relatively powerful damper/assist channels in the autopilot that are kept on. Turn off the "three blue" at the lower right panel and it gets more difficult. (Though note that this is not something the real Ka-50 pilots are allowed to do on purpose, but it's nice for training emergency procedures since battle damage can indeed take out your AP channels.)

Etherea|N,

I also think that turning ON the altitude hold (the fourth button) is useful in stabilizing the chopper, would keeping it ON have a negative effect on the ability to maneuver the BS quicker?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Let freedom ring with a shotgun blast

ATI 4870 1GB Cat. 10.8 | Windows 7 64 | TrackIR 5 | Saitek x52 | 4GB DDR2 | E8400 O.C 3.8 Ghz | The Logitech® G9 Laser Mouse

http://www.war-hawks.net

is recruiting.

http://www.war-hawks.net/private/index.php/recruitform

Well, the thing there is that the alt-hold is an actual "hold", not a damper, so you would restrict yourself more with that. Though truth be told I haven't tried it all that much with alt-hold on. (I'm very hands-on with flying, and IRL I only have standard push-rod trimmers.) But generally you could consider the alt-hold more of a real "autopilot" function than the regular damping/stab channels.

Yaw-stab is a bit in-between, since it will actually be a heading-hold if you release trim with a less-than 3 degrees per second turn rate (but with only 20% rudder authority) and try to hold that direction, whereas releasing trim at a greater turn rate will have the channel try to hold that turn rate.

One additional note: if you find yourself struggling against the channels when turning you can try pressing-and-holding the trim button (I really recommend having this mapped to your stick) through the turn. While the button is depressed all the hold commands are overridden and it's basically just waiting for you to tell it what to do. Procedure would then be

press-hold trim

initiate turn (or other maneuver)

complete turn

get stable (this is very important, no point trimming to an unstable attitude)

release trim

Have such holding action in mind when doing stick/HOTAS key selection for the trim, since you do want to be able to operate other commands while holding it. I have it on my x52's pinky switch.

Oh, and the | in my nick is a regular L, not a bar. I'm not 1337 enough to use special symbols. :(

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

lol, i was confused was that an L or |.

I have the trim centre option checked in gameplay options, would holding trim is still valid in my case?

The procedure you should with regard to trim is it with alt-hold on/off? <never mind this, i read your post again>

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ATI 4870 1GB Cat. 10.8 | Windows 7 64 | TrackIR 5 | Saitek x52 | 4GB DDR2 | E8400 O.C 3.8 Ghz | The Logitech® G9 Laser Mouse

is recruiting.

i fly digis online server and when weekend come i m there , only problem is when there is many people online my clock in finland is eaerly morning. If any online help needed you are welcomew there and we try help new players to start flying.

lol, i was confused was that an L or |.

You're not alone. I should select a new nick... :P

I have the trim centre option checked in gameplay options, would holding trim is still valid in my case?

Yes, that selection only changes post-release behaviour, so the two implementations will be entirely identical in everything except the 0.5 seconds after releasing the trimmer.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Hi guys,

Thanks again for all the help. I played for quite a long time last night, but found myself getting very frustrated! I've been playing the training mission which comes with a guide as to how to do it, i.e following the waypoints then taking out the tanks. I'm getting to grips with the handling, I think, but I'm having a few problems which may or may not be solvable - I've had a look in the manual but due to it's size I'm not totally sure where to look. Anyway, I'll list the problems I'm having here.

First, is that I think I can now correctly pitch the chopper on the horizontal axis, I've started to switch on the autopilot altitude hold, trim it during the turn then release the trim when the copper is stable. That's all great, but the problem I have is with the vertical trim. I can hold the chopper facing one way, but it will always move forward or backwards and the trim seems to have little effect in changing that - is there another type of trim for the vertical axis?

Secondly, I think that this is a TrackIR issue, because I imagine it being much easier with it. Basically, (I'll use my mission example) when I approach the hill with the tanks on the other side, my first issue is to bring the heli to a full stop and hover whilst I activate my weapon systems (which I can't do particularly effectively atm as I explained in the last paragraph!).

Then, I have to control the heli with my right hand, whilst increasing the throttle (tough as I have one hand on the joystick!) whilst holding a button down to slave the monitor to the eye piece...I'll sum it up to explain the difficulty..

Right hand: Joystick

Right fingers: Holding down a 'slave to screen button'

left hand: controlling mouse (not too well as I'm right handed!)

Left fingers (trying to click the 'lock target' button when I have managed to get my reticle over the tank which is rapidly blowing me out the sky..

Right, so I'm appreciating the realism and challenge of this sim, and I would imagine heli pilots IRL have to train themselves to use both hands, but is there an easier way to do it? One thing I was thinking is, is there a way to click a button which slaves the screen to the eyepiece, with just one press? That would save me holding it, and free up a finger for 'other things'..

Finally, I've got a spare 19 inch monitor I could plug into my PC. I'm using a 24" display at the moment - I think I read that I could put the shkyval (is that it? it's the black and white display which I use to target) display on the second monitor, but not sure where I read that. That would make things easier (and possibly more atmospheric). Is that possible, and do you recommend it?

Really sorry for so many questions but thought I'd get a days worth into one big post!

Thanks very much for reading, I really do appreciate it!

(I will be helping people like myself in no time :) )

Intel i7 6700k, Asus GTX1070, 16gb DDR4 @ 3200mhz, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung Evo 850 SSD @ 500GB * 2, TrackIR 5 and 27" monitor running at 2560 * 1440, Windows 10.

Hi guys,

First, is that I think I can now correctly pitch the chopper on the horizontal axis, I've started to switch on the autopilot altitude hold, trim it during the turn then release the trim when the copper is stable. That's all great, but the problem I have is with the vertical trim. I can hold the chopper facing one way, but it will always move forward or backwards and the trim seems to have little effect in changing that - is there another type of trim for the vertical axis?

Are you engaging auto hover? LAlt-T. You have to stabilize and slow down the chopper before you engage auto hover.

Try to put as much keyboard settings on your joystick as you can, the one you use more often. Auto hover, slew shkval, lock target, cage/uncage shkval, etc...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

is recruiting.

Etherea|N,

I also think that turning ON the altitude hold (the fourth button) is useful in stabilizing the chopper, would keeping it ON have a negative effect on the ability to maneuver the BS quicker?

When I was first learning, I found that auto hover of course turned on the altitude hold button - then when I turned off auto hover, and started to fly somewhere else, my chopper would go crazy and I would be fighting it to try and keep it stabilized and moving straight and level. I found that after releasing auto hover, the altitude hold button was remaining on. So I made a habit of turning altitude hold off when I released auto hover, and all was well...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

When I was first learning, I found that auto hover of course turned on the altitude hold button - then when I turned off auto hover, and started to fly somewhere else, my chopper would go crazy and I would be fighting it to try and keep it stabilized and moving straight and level. I found that after releasing auto hover, the altitude hold button was remaining on. So I made a habit of turning altitude hold off when I released auto hover, and all was well...

strange :joystick:, i started doing the exact same thing :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

is recruiting.

Thank you for the responses :) do you guys find you have to use the mouse to target things? it's very tough left handed! or should all my targetting me done when I'm hovering and have my hands free?

Intel i7 6700k, Asus GTX1070, 16gb DDR4 @ 3200mhz, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung Evo 850 SSD @ 500GB * 2, TrackIR 5 and 27" monitor running at 2560 * 1440, Windows 10.

Another quick one - Should I always be targetting from the hover position, or will I be required to target on the move? It's close to impossible to target things using the mouse with the left hand! Thanks

What do you mean by "using the mouse to target things"?

You should have all the targeting commands mapped to your stick for ease of use. If all you use is the helmet-mounted sight (you refer to it as the eyepiece) all you need is the "lock target" button, or "o" on the keyboard. If you so choose, you can also use a hat switch to slew the shkval around. Either way, all of you targeting should be done with both hands on the stick and throttle. This will allow you to target and fire on the move, which you will find is essential in some situations.

• Like 1

I only respond to that little mechanical voice that says "Terrain! Terrain! Pull Up! Pull Up!"

Who can say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow.

-Robert Goddard

"A hybrid. A car for enthusiasts of armpit hair and brown rice." -Jeremy Clarkson

"I swear by my pretty floral bonet, I will end you." -Mal from Firefly

hmm. My self i first learn fly good that chopper , hover and others m ove and now when i attack some where i allways move some way so tanks cant get me easy target, but now help section.

1. Look down right when you start and confirm you autopilot channels are on 3 autopiloot channels bank , pitch , yaw

2. Use trim often allway when change direction trim , trim and trim.

3.i dont never use auto hover becouse you can trim chopper like auto hover "and when attack on enemy i like move"

4. Remap all important chopper function your joystick examp0le shkval movement , autolock , reset shkval , you get it what you need fly black shark.

5.track ir is good whenb you search targets and aiming with you helmet sight.

Ps. Now i use my homecockpit so only think where i need keyboard is closing door :).

What do you mean by "using the mouse to target things"?

You should have all the targeting commands mapped to your stick for ease of use. If all you use is the helmet-mounted sight (you refer to it as the eyepiece) all you need is the "lock target" button, or "o" on the keyboard. If you so choose, you can also use a hat switch to slew the shkval around. Either way, all of you targeting should be done with both hands on the stick and throttle. This will allow you to target and fire on the move, which you will find is essential in some situations.

Hey,

What I'm finding is the hat switch isn't sensitive enough to stop on the enemy, it tends to move quickly and skip over the target if that makes sense? The mouse lets me move the helmet mounted sight a lot smoother, so to speak..

I think to be honest I'm a bit confused about the systems. Pressing and holding O (i've mapped it to a joystick button) locks the 'screen' to the helmet mounted sight, and releasing it seems to lock the view I had. The problem is, when moving the helicopter its really difficult to get my eye piece over an enemy, let alone lock onto it. I think perhaps I'm doing something wrong, or just mal-coordinated!

You are trying to learn too many things at once. You are trying to employ weapons before you're confident with your flying skills, this will only get your upset and frustrated.

Take it one step, after another. Learn the basic of how to fly, how to move from different regimes. Get confident with the trim system and the four autopilot channels, experiment. Start with level flight, then gentle turns, transition to hover and back. Don't rush it. It's a complex simulator with a very steep learning curve, but the reward is worth it.

Take it as a actual study...i.e. doing a driving license... you need to start on a parking place and slowly progress towards highways.

This may help with autopilot :

http://www.simhq.com/_air13/air_429a.html

and with trim:

http://www.simhq.com/_air13/air_428a.html

Secondly, I think that this is a TrackIR issue, because I imagine it being much easier with it. Basically, (I'll use my mission example) when I approach the hill with the tanks on the other side, my first issue is to bring the heli to a full stop and hover whilst I activate my weapon systems (which I can't do particularly effectively atm as I explained in the last paragraph!).

You'll realize it takes much less effort to bring the chopper to hover as you get more confident with your flying skills. You'll not have to concentrate on every move you do, the ka50 is very agile and can stop pretty quick, it's just a matter of practice.

I'm flying this thing for about 7months and I'm still learning..that's what I love about this sim.

You are trying to learn too many things at once. You are trying to employ weapons before you're confident with your flying skills, this will only get your upset and frustrated.

Take it one step, after another. Learn the basic of how to fly, how to move from different regimes. Get confident with the trim system and the four autopilot channels, experiment. Start with level flight, then gentle turns, transition to hover and back. Don't rush it. It's a complex simulator with a very steep learning curve, but the reward is worth it.

Take it as a actual study...i.e. doing a driving license... you need to start on a parking place and slowly progress towards highways.

This may help with autopilot :

http://www.simhq.com/_air13/air_429a.html

and with trim:

http://www.simhq.com/_air13/air_428a.html

You'll realize it takes much less effort to bring the chopper to hover as you get more confident with your flying skills. You'll not have to concentrate on every move you do, the ka50 is very agile and can stop pretty quick, it's just a matter of practice.

I'm flying this thing for about 7months and I'm still learning..that's what I love about this sim.

Cheers for the info :) Do you use TrackIR??

I fly in flight director mode 95% of the time. Don't have to hassle with the above alt hold issue plus other benefits (no heading hold, constant re-trimming, etc). Once I'm ready to hover I disengage flight director mode, engage auto hover, engage turn to target etc. Once I need to fly off again - I re-engage flight director mode. I've gotten so used to doing this its now automatic. The alternative is to not use flight director mode but constantly hold and release the trimmer (and hassle with alt hold).

Edited by Woots

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Interesting Woots, I may have to give Flilght Director mode a try and see how I like it compared to how I am doing it now ( using the trimmer).

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Interesting Woots, I may have to give Flilght Director mode a try and see how I like it compared to how I am doing it now ( using the trimmer).

indeed. I'm going to red the manual about flight director and give it a try as well. It sounds really interesting. I wondered why that button is lonely!!

Conure: Don't overwhelm yourself, it's not an exam, do one thing at a time. When i started i enabled immortality option, unlimited fuel, etc.. in game options. It sucks when you have to restart the game because of constant crashes.

update: It's not as easy as we thought, read pate 10-24

Edited by InFireBaptize

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

is recruiting.

I would (personally) learn to fly without Flight Director... get to use the holds / assistants and trimmer, and then, when comfortable, experiemnt with using FD instead..

FD will save you from getting a tired Trimming finger / thumb / whatever , but it will also have you hitting the ground , or getting off course easier.

I would (personally) learn to fly without Flight Director... get to use the holds / assistants and trimmer, and then, when comfortable, experiemnt with using FD instead..

FD will save you from getting a tired Trimming finger / thumb / whatever , but it will also have you hitting the ground , or getting off course easier.

i tend to love trimming now after i checked the box for trim to centre or something in gameplay options.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

is recruiting.

Same here, I usually fly with Flight Director on most of the time. Only time I disengage it is when I have to work with the ABRIS or in a hover attacking targets or some "boring" route flying. I think it's best to learn flying the helicopter with FD on and once you are able to fly it then learning and enjoying the benefits of the auto pilot.