Introduction!

Conure

Same here, I usually fly with Flight Director on most of the time. Only time I disengage it is when I have to work with the ABRIS or in a hover attacking targets or some "boring" route flying. I think it's best to learn flying the helicopter with FD on and once you are able to fly it then learning and enjoying the benefits of the auto pilot.

Do we really need to follow what the manual is suggesting on page 10-25?

"When flying with director control, it is necessary to set the pitch and bank angles with the cyclic in reference to the aircraft datum. etc........"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Let freedom ring with a shotgun blast

ATI 4870 1GB Cat. 10.8 | Windows 7 64 | TrackIR 5 | Saitek x52 | 4GB DDR2 | E8400 O.C 3.8 Ghz | The Logitech® G9 Laser Mouse

http://www.war-hawks.net

is recruiting.

http://www.war-hawks.net/private/index.php/recruitform

I gave flight director a try a few minutes ago, and found it somewhat awkward. Perhaps because during my learning of how to fly this thing, I used the trim. I am just much more comfortable using the trim myself.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I gave flight director a try a few minutes ago, and found it somewhat awkward. Perhaps because during my learning of how to fly this thing, I used the trim. I am just much more comfortable using the trim myself.

FD mode is not something that you can just try for a few minutes. It's a whole different mode of flying. That it felt awkward would make sense. You'd have to get used to flying with FD mode engaged just as you got used to flying without it.

I didn't mean to stomp on this thread by bringing up FD mode. I only mentioned it so you know there's another mode (FD) that doesn't give you the Alt hold hassle you mentioned earlier.

Edited by Woots

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes and I appreciate that!

I will give try it some more off and on, and eventually decide if I would like it better or not. Thanks for the info!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Do we really need to follow what the manual is suggesting on page 10-25?

"When flying with director control, it is necessary to set the pitch and bank angles with the cyclic in reference to the aircraft datum. etc........"

To be honest when flying with Flight Director I usually ignore the additional data that FD displays in the HUD. Only things I watch are speed, altitude, a possible steerpoint cue and most important: the vertical velocity indicator.

Bank, pitch and heading hold autopilot channels are engaged all the time. And you still have to trim.

Most important thing to remember is that while FD is engaged the autopilot won't "interfere" with your input and won't try to force the aircraft to a set attitude. Flying with FD engaged is the same as holding down your trim button and flying around.

In the end it's a lot about personal preference. A lot of people fly without FD and some fly with FD engaged. Personally I choose which one fits best for the current situation - and in the end I still get shot down by the enemy... But that is a different matter... :smilewink: :music_whistling:

I'd say in the end you should be able to fly both styles but at the beginning try to learn and fly comfortable with one or the other.

Edited by Toxe

I'll definitely look into the TrackIR when funds allow (I am a poor student at the moment!).

Does anybody have any techniques for learning how to effectively fly the chopper? I'm trying to memorise sections of the cockpit at the moment, but still suffering from things like 'now it's flying, now it isn't, and I've got absolutely no clue why!'.

I sense many, many hours of learning ahead.

Welcome aboard Conure!!

I HIGHLY recommend spending your time workign through this site.

http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/Resources_for_New_Pilots

there is an amazing turial worth trying called "how to take off and blow things up".... its the perfect gateway to this wonderful sim and many many many of us got our wings starting there.

The .miz file is attached below.

Put a little time in up front and Voila' - you will be lighting things up in no time - i promise.

:smartass:

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

Welcome aboard Conure!!

I HIGHLY recommend spending your time workign through this site.

http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/Resources_for_New_Pilots

there is an amazing turial worth trying called "how to take off and blow things up".... its the perfect gateway to this wonderful sim and many many many of us got our wings starting there.

The .miz file is attached below.

Put a little time in up front and Voila' - you will be lighting things up in no time - i promise.

:smartass:

hi Dooom! Funny you should say that, I've just finished the first part of that mission! It's very tough to get those tanks in the tiny targetting box at range, especially when the chopper bobs up and down! It was extremely satisfying to take them out. One thing that isn't explained in the tutorial though, is, that for some reason after I've enabled my weapons system, it kinda messes with my GPS. The waypoints no longer work! Is that easily fixed? I'm going to check through that website now....In 2 days I've learnt more than on any other game, this makes MFSX and Eve Online look like a simple toys...

Thanks very much for the link,

conure

Intel i7 6700k, Asus GTX1070, 16gb DDR4 @ 3200mhz, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung Evo 850 SSD @ 500GB * 2, TrackIR 5 and 27" monitor running at 2560 * 1440, Windows 10.

That is an awesome tutorial, I fly it repeatedly just to try and get better each time, especially with rockets.

When you get to the hill to engage the tanks, slow down to around 5kmh, at your desired altitude, and hit your auto hover button - this will stop the chopper from bobbing up and down. Be aware when you disable autohover to move on to the next waypoint and targets, your altitude hold button may still be activated - de-activate it so the chopper does not fight you when you start to fly toward the next waypoint.

To get your waypoints back on the hud, you have to get back to nav mode, rather than in the weapon mode. You can do that by hitting the reset switch over by your laser standby switch. If you have the cannons active just disable them. and your navigation hud will be there.

Don B

That is an awesome tutorial, I fly it repeatedly just to try and get better each time, especially with rockets.

When you get to the hill to engage the tanks, slow down to around 5kmh, at your desired altitude, and hit your auto hover button - this will stop the chopper from bobbing up and down. Be aware when you disable autohover to move on to the next waypoint and targets, your altitude hold button may still be activated - de-activate it so the chopper does not fight you when you start to fly toward the next waypoint.

To get your waypoints back on the hud, you have to get back to nav mode, rather than in the weapon mode. You can do that by hitting the reset switch over by your laser standby switch. If you have the cannons active just disable them. and your navigation hud will be there.

Thanks for that :) I've got my rockets and missiles going now, but how do I select my cannon? It doesn't seem to be a standard hard point! Thanks

Intel i7 6700k, Asus GTX1070, 16gb DDR4 @ 3200mhz, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung Evo 850 SSD @ 500GB * 2, TrackIR 5 and 27" monitor running at 2560 * 1440, Windows 10.

Gun select = c

Gun Fire = SPC

I have both iof these mapped to the trigger on my Cougar , for gun select I hold a button in whilst pulling the trigger, and then to firs just pull the trigger..

Press gun select again while they are active to de-activate and the Nav hud will return.

Have fun!

Don B

Okay everybody, huge huge thanks to you all! With your help I have finished the intro mission, and learnt a few of the systems and landed for the first time!

It took 2 days, but was definitely worth it :D

Congrats!!

I started flying the sim in like Sept of last year, and still find myself with so very much to learn - but it is fun learning. I still have a long ways to go.

Have fun!

Don B

Okay everybody, huge huge thanks to you all! With your help I have finished the intro mission, and learnt a few of the systems and landed for the first time!

glad to see you moving forward smoothly. Last night i tested to hold trim button while maneuvering the chopper, man oh man it does wonder. I'm in love with trim now :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Let freedom ring with a shotgun blast

ATI 4870 1GB Cat. 10.8 | Windows 7 64 | TrackIR 5 | Saitek x52 | 4GB DDR2 | E8400 O.C 3.8 Ghz | The Logitech® G9 Laser Mouse

http://www.war-hawks.net

is recruiting.

http://www.war-hawks.net/private/index.php/recruitform

Great stuff Conure. Do shout if you have more questions. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

You can do that by hitting the reset switch over by your laser standby switch.

Just figured I'd throw this out there: weapons system reset is "backspace" on the keyboard.

I only respond to that little mechanical voice that says "Terrain! Terrain! Pull Up! Pull Up!"

Who can say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow.

-Robert Goddard

"A hybrid. A car for enthusiasts of armpit hair and brown rice." -Jeremy Clarkson

"I swear by my pretty floral bonet, I will end you." -Mal from Firefly

Quick learner! And yep, landing the first time is a real buzz! You'll get that feeling again, as there are many firsts...first kill, first frigate landing...:thumbup:

Rectum non bustus

...and first combat emergency...

http://forums.eagle.ru/album.php?albumid=336&pictureid=2442

Well, that one wasn't my first, but getting home with serious damage is always a thrill. Another one that thrilled me a lot was when doing a co-op with Panzer and losing one of my engines while at high speed on very low altitude. Killing the engine to avoid cavitation/fire while keeping my neck alive and then performing an emergency landing in the terrain was awesome. I was then able to carefully (I had managed to get in behind friendly lines) diagnose the chopper and get back up with just one engine on Emerg setting and fly home. :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester