Serbian J-22 crash

Vekkinho

On June 3rd, Serbian J-22 "Orao" crashed in central Serbia. Unlucky aircraft was recently overhauled #25156 (check pic):

file.php?id=1772&sid=35c208a512167284ef409e1bc3daef72&mode=view

piloted by Major Slobodan Jocic, second from the right in this pic:

file.php?id=1771&sid=35c208a512167284ef409e1bc3daef72&mode=view

Jocic managed to point the plane into a nearby lake and eject.

Reasons of the crash are still unknown but hydraulics failure and unability to extend the gear is being mentioned as well as the fact that pilot was given an order to eject once he dumps/expends all the inboard fuel.

There's like 150kgs of fuel left in the aircraft but the water of Knicko lake he chose to crash the plane into is used as a drinking water for population of nearby town of Kragujevac.

Here's a video of Orao in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmpylm1MKkI

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry NSC I didn't notice your post on this subject in News part of the forum, but yes I agree that mods should move all related posts into dedicated topic (here) 'cause (IMHO) J-22 Orao/IAR-93 Vultur was Yugoslav/Romanian successful COOP product and favorite plane of many citizens of ex-YU!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pilot Maj. Jocic suffered spine injuries but generally he's OK. He was communicating right after ejection with SAR team that flew him with a Mi/Mil-8 to Military hospital in Belgrade. He was subject to surgery but he's recovering and will join his Sqn soon enough.

J-22 #25156 was overhauled at MOMA institute recently and given operational status with 98.lb regiment of V&PVO on March 2nd, 2010. It took cca 40 flights inbetween and flew for 25 hours in total since overhaul. Maj. Jocic was an element lead yesterday of a 4 ship formation tasked with low alt-high speed formation flight training. Pilots were practising for a Pancevo Airshow flying at 500m AGL at 720kph.

Flight lasted for 45 minutes when formation returned to Ladjevci AB near city of Kraljevo. During final approach Maj. Jocic experienced a left main gear failure, it didn't extend. Pilot tried both hydraulic and mechanical procedures of extending the gear but left gear remained locked inside gearbay. Jocic also performed few touch and go hoping that vibrations would unlock the gear. Nothing helped and with only 200kgs of fuel Jocic was ordered to extend some 15kms away near Knicko Lake and was given order to eject and sink the plane into a juice.

Total of 120 J-22 were made in Yugoslavia for use with JRV (YuAF). Yugoslavia didn't export Oraos like it's smaller brothers Jastreb, Galeb and Super Galeb but 36 Oraos were scheduled for production in 1992 and rumor had it that Vietnam was their destination. With the break up of Yugoslavia in '91 none these 100 something planes joined Croatian Airforce in it's years of baptism. Such a pity 'cause I'd rather see J-22 than PC-9M over Croatian skies today.

Edited by Vekkinho

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There's like 150kgs of fuel left in the aircraft but the water of Knicko lake he chose to crash the plane into is used as a drinking water for population of nearby town of Kragujevac.
So far, there is no report on oil/fuel spillage. Official report is that there was no spillage of fuel or oil.

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Before bailing our, pilot, Major Slobodan Jocić closed the fuel shut off valves, thus no fuel spillage in the lake occurred.

Šutanovac posetio pilota Jocića

6. jun 2010. | 13:32 | Izvor: Beta

PS

=4c= Destroyer, pictures are phenomenal!!! :notworthy:

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Before bailing our, pilot, Major Slobodan Jocić closed the fuel shut off valves, thus no fuel spillage in the lake occurred.

Šutanovac posetio pilota Jocića

6. jun 2010. | 13:32 | Izvor: Beta

PS

=4c= Destroyer, pictures are phenomenal!!! :notworthy:

Does it use hydrazine bottle or is it started externaly?

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Hi Dimtirije, I never knew it was You hiding under =4C=Destroyer nick so I'm really honoured to have you here at Forums Eagle and I'm proud and glad you're a LOMAC-FC-FC2 fan.

I really admire your work and all the photos and articles we get from you!

So here's one big thanks from Croatia that You deserved so many times so far!

Salut!

Edited by Vekkinho
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Does it use hydrazine bottle or is it started externaly?
I really don't know that.

Hi Dimtirije, I never knew it was You hiding under =4C=Destroyer nick so I'm really honoured to have you here at Forums Eagle and I'm proud and glad you're a LOMAC-FC-FC2 fan.

I really admire your work and all the photos and articles we get from you!

So here's one big thanks from Croatia that You deserved so many times so far!

Salut!

Thanks for that kind words mate!Yes I'm a Flanker/Lomac/FC/BS fan since day one ;)

S!

:beer: