Which aircrafts are actually possible for DCS?

zakobi

Basically, the older the better. Maybe Mig-29, any version before the M. F15A. F16A/B, etc.

* actually, considering we're getting the A-10C, slightly more updated models might not be impossible, like F-15C and F-16C/D.

Edited by Arclight

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DCS A-10C: putting the 'art' into 'warthog'.

(yes, corny. Sorry.)

Basically, newer models are made possible through military contracts on said models where the contract permits the use of transferred knowledge to a civilian product (possibly with some minor omissions).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

So then either aircraft for which (nearly) all info is available in the "public domain", or ones where (limited but sufficient) modeling is allowed by the contract regarding classified systems/specifications?

Still sufficiently vague to not narrow down the list. :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DCS A-10C: putting the 'art' into 'warthog'.

(yes, corny. Sorry.)

Who would like a military simulator for older models like Mig-29A or F-16A?

Most of these models are being replaced or are quite old so no army would like to train pilots for such old aircraft using new simulator(developed by ED).

I believe that more possible aircraft for DCS would be a non-surpassed but still not at the "very edge of military technology"(which would remain classified). So I wouldn't expect AH-64D Longbow Apache,for example, but the AH-64A or an AH-64A+... don't expect F-16CJ but the C variant is more possible.

I would love a Sepecat Jaguar in DCS.

The info must be out in the wild since most airforces have now abandoned their Jag's

Single Seat aswell, so none of this DCS Apache 2 seat malarky, I think the jaguar would be the perfect aircraft for ED to model.

But what I REALLY would like is for their next model after the A10 to have an A2G radar, I dont care what plane or helo they put in, aslong as we get a A2G radar to play with as that is sadly missing from the Lockon and DCS series.

Tell me that this doesnt look lovely, its basically the British and French version of a SU25t

For a really cool pic of one, they dont allow hotlinking so this link will have to suffice as I am too lazy to host it myself :)

http://www.airfighters.com/photo/46932/L/UK-Air-Force/Sepecat-Jaguar-GR1A/XZ363/

1693670.jpg

Edited by bumfire
  • Like 2

I imagine that A2G radar are really hard to code, but then again, this is DCS after all. Once the initial code is writen i think it's more about changing values.

The Jaguar is interesting, they would have to allow co-op laser designation as well then :P

I would like to see the US Navy F-14 since they have been decommissioned the info should be out there.

There are 2 categories of fighter pilots: those who have performed, and those who someday will perform, a magnificent defensive break turn toward a bug on the canopy. Robert Shaw

Who would like a military simulator for older models like Mig-29A or F-16A?

Simulator players? Lots of them. Me included.

Most of these models are being replaced or are quite old so no army would like to train pilots for such old aircraft using new simulator(developed by ED).

Missing the point. If a military contract is up, the military contract is caused by the client needing education software. Compare to the following:

Original DCS "battleplan":

1 - DCS:Black Shark

2 - DCS:Apache (non-longbow)

3 - DCS:Warthog (A-model)

Contract lands, details are worked out... And plan changes to:

1 - DCS:Black Shark

2 - DCS:Warthog (C-model)

The point of the military contract connection is that the military contracts allow newer airframes to be simulated at "DCS-level fidelity". Without contracts older systems and aircraft would be what is developed, but with contracts it'll be newer systems.

As far as the Longbow Apache - indeed it is not likely. But if a military client contracts for a Longbow DTS this might change, depending on contract particulars.

Tell me that this doesnt look lovely, its basically the British and French version of a SU25t

Not nearly enough hardpoints for that. :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

"Please please DCS: BUCCANER DCS:BUCCANER DCS:BUCCANER !!!!!111oneone"

and then

"No, no I`d love DCS: English Electric Lightning"

"I think the most sensible is DCS: Enter_Another_Absurd/Popular_A/C_Here"

...just another pathetic, boring, predictable topic..

• Like 1

13welt.pl

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not nearly enough hardpoints for that. :P

I never said it was a direct copy of the su25, but more that it was the only thing that the UK had that was akin to the 25, well that or the hawk.

It was capable of taking off and landing on grass, it was cheap to build and cheap to run compared to nearly everything else in the raf, well if you can call having a jet plane cheap to build and run that is, and it had its own laser designator and even a moving map yippee, so to be fair, it was the UK's version of the su25.

If the Uk built something specifically to fill the role of 25/a10 then they would of came up with something different, but they didnt and alas, the jag was the only thing in the Uk's arsenal that would of been used to do a similar job as the a10s/25, tonkas dont count as they are just too ugly.

Also it was rated to carry nukes :pilotfly:

Although I do agree, it doesnt have nearly enough HP's for a dedicated ground attack aircraft like the a10/su25, but as usual, us brits normally get shagged when it comes to buying hardware for our armed forces, what we need we dont get, and what we dont need we get in bucketfuls.

oh teh noez!! We are in urgent need of "The Flyer" (the very first plane flown by the wright brothers!). DCS may have a hard time with this though considering the ultra advanced avionics and ejection seat!

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Intel i7-4790k | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo heat sink | Thermaltake Core V71 case | 750W EVGA PSU | 8gb G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 5 LGA 1150 motherboard | Samsung SSD | ASUS STRIX GTX 970 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | TIR 5 | Razer Deathadder | Corsair K70

@Ethereal : Apache Longbow was just an example.

The actual question is which army would fund a military simulator for old aircraft? You people say that a contract is needed for DCS-fidelity simulator... I haven't said otherwise!

I just doubt that an army would fund a simulator for older models and that if it funded a sim for quite modern aircraft it wouldn't possibly like the idea of having some info "leaked" through the commercial market. I believe a "golden middle" is what we need. Nor too old neither too modern... something like Ka-50 (Not UH-1 and not a AH-64D).

So, all in all I have to say that :

I don't expect any army is interested for an A-7 simulator contract.

I don't expect an F-22 or F-16CJ army contract to be allowed for commercial use.

I would expect a contract for a Mirage2000 for example.

Why?

Its not too old(like the A-7) neither too classified(like the F-22)... so the possibility that a military client is interested in it is higher and the possibility that you 'll get the license to use it for a commercial product high enough too.

Now, if USAF wants an F-22 simulator and has no objection with it "going commercial" its more than OK with me! Still the possibility of this happening is quite close to zero.

Am I still wrong?

Gimme Su-22, MiG-27, F-4 and I'll be in heaven ;]

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

With the current state of fighter development/adoption, how likely is it for ED to get a fighter contract that isn't heavily restricted? I don't know much about real-world air forces, so I'm wondering if people who follow those events see any chance at all of military-grade fighter simulators being needed in the near future. Or for any other type of aircraft, really.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Jag is a dedicated strike A/C.. http://www.vectorsite.net/avjag.html

I'm surprised there was no mentioning that ED is looking at turboprop trainers. There's plenty to choose from and they are so simple that there will be no risk of hitting the wall of clasified materials.

bit like the EMB/Shorts Tucano

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

The actual question is which army would fund a military simulator for old aircraft?

Anyone that's using them and intends to keep using them for a while. Now, this becomes highly semantic unless we manage to find a definition for "old" that works for both of us and for most militaries.

But take slightly older F-16's as an example. All the "major" air forces are looking to phase them out and replace them with stuff like the F-35, Gripen and so on. However, many of the airframes still have a lot of flying time left to them and they may be attractive second-hand products to countries with much smaller budgets. (As an example, Gripen is in competition with used F-16's in a lot of countries.) Said countries might have reason to want a relatively cheap DTS since cost is very much an item to them - they need to fulfill the international obligation of being able to police your airspace, but they want to do so at an as cheap-as-possible hardware and training budget.

Basically, this is the problem with the "new" and "old" labels. What's stupidly old for the americans might be brand new awesome kit for an airforce like that of Croatia who currently rely mainly on MiG 21's (albeit upgraded 21's, if memory serves).

But indeed, if we apply the "new" label globally and start running into things like F-35, F-22, T-50 and so on it does become a lot less likely. But it also depends on what they want a trainer for. Pure cockpit proceedure trainer? Then they don't need to simulate all the stealth stuff and a lot of the "top secret" stuff is shaved away. Whether such a proceedure trainer would end up complete enough to allow a DCS of it (but with slightly approximated stealth), I don't know, probably not.

I suspect we are generally in agreement but just interpret the words "new" and "old" differently.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Well, most likely last generation of aircraft, like Rafale, F-22, Gripen, F-35 wouldn´t be possible.

I think the more possible planes/helicopter would be those that are still in service, that have been receiving some upgrades but haven´t been greatly redesigned. Like...

Mirage 2000

Harrier 2

F-16 block 40 to block 52

F-18C (Not the Superhornet)

Mig-29

Su-27 and 33

Su-25

Super Cobra

And probably very few others. I´m talking aircraft and helicopter who main role is combat. Rescue and transport aerial airframes are leave aside because most people are not interested on a combat simulator with them.

If a DCS sim wouldn´t be forced to be attached to a military contract, i would be very very happy to have a DCS sim of any plane and chopper with the technology and avionics of the 90´s, or even 80´s, if its avionics its ralisticaly simulated to the level of the Ka-50.

I prefer realistic old technology over unknow unrealistic new technology, everytime.

Even 80´s or 90´s avionics is complex enough to learn and use properly for most of us.

I would love a Sepecat Jaguar in DCS.

The info must be out in the wild since most airforces have now abandoned their Jag's

Single Seat aswell, so none of this DCS Apache 2 seat malarky, I think the jaguar would be the perfect aircraft for ED to model.

But what I REALLY would like is for their next model after the A10 to have an A2G radar, I dont care what plane or helo they put in, aslong as we get a A2G radar to play with as that is sadly missing from the Lockon and DCS series.

For a really cool pic of one, they dont allow hotlinking so this link will have to suffice as I am too lazy to host it myself :)

http://www.airfighters.com/photo/46932/L/UK-Air-Force/Sepecat-Jaguar-GR1A/XZ363/

1693670.jpg

They catch fire, they can't take off when it's hot, they have no radar, the NAVWAS sucks...on the plus side, the RR Adour engines are good at drying your hair...;)

Well, I think that Mi-24 should be declassified or at least there should be a lot of data available to make it into DCS.

Just my opinion and god´s wish.

Afghanistan as a scenario and all the dynamic missions with CAS and transport missions.

[sigpic][/sigpic]

MB MSI x570 Prestige Creation, RYzen 9 3900X, 32 Gb Ram 3333MHz, cooler Dark rock PRO 4, eVGA 1080Ti, 32 inch BenQ 32011pt, saitek X52Pro, HP Reverb, win 10 64bit