F-15 : beginner's questions

Hi,

I've just started getting to know the Eagle a bit better, and I've got a question I could not find an answer for on this board or the manual.

When trying to keep my eye on a bandit during a dogfight, it seems to me I can't turn my head far enough plus the seat obstructs my view. The F-15's bubble canopy should give the pilot excellent viewing capabilities to keep eyes on threat. So the question is : am I doing something wrong, or is it like that in real life ?

Thank you.

Edited by bengo

i7 6700k/GTX1070-8G/MSI-Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon/32GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX PREDATOR DDR4 3000MHZ Vengeance 1600/TM Warthog #6106/Samsung SB350_S27B350H/OCZ Agility3 SSD 128GB / Win10-64/TIR5

yes, seats do that :music_whistling:

I have a question as well, if I may aske here...

How are the speeds indicated in the F-15 and SU-33 HUD are they both in KIAS? and how does the speed indicated in the (F2 View bottom bar relate)?

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

Speeds on hud are IAS. Western birds shot Knots IAS, eastern birds show Kilometres/hour IAS. F2 bar shows ground speed in whatever unit you have set as your prefered unit of measurement in the options screen.

Bengo, I'm not entirely certain I understand the question - I find the view in the Eagle to be very good, although the canopy rail is extremely annoying. But there will indeed be times when you will lose sight on a bandit, and will have to re-acquire through predicting their motion.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Well I have solution for you, just do this Go to Flaming Cliffs 2/config/view open the file server.lua in notepad++, not notepad or wordpad, than search for some thing like view limit or some thing, I forgot the exact line, it will be in format (140, 0, ......) change 140 to 170 and you will get what you need.

singleplayer - map a button on your stick to rear view for a quick snapshot view.

multiplayer - most servers disable this so you will have to "play it real". Jink, left or right to get a better view round the seat / rail, and use your mirrors.

Overall, f you think there is a bandit on your six then you really NEED to find out.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals

On multiplayer you would ideally fly with a wingman and delouse each other.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Does anyone know if IRL, the pilots can lean to the side and look past their seat and see one of their stabilizers ? That would increase the SA a lot. Since we don't have 6DOF, that kinda limits it for us. Just want to find out if the sim behaves like the real thing in that field.

i7 6700k/GTX1070-8G/MSI-Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon/32GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX PREDATOR DDR4 3000MHZ Vengeance 1600/TM Warthog #6106/Samsung SB350_S27B350H/OCZ Agility3 SSD 128GB / Win10-64/TIR5

Well we do have a kind of 6DOF, depending on the settings you can see your stabilizer. However the mod allowing for full 6DOF motion in cockpit is not official and as the cockpits themselves use older non-6dof technology, you will see glitches, bugs and etc. Take a look @ lockonfiles.com for this mod...

Does anyone know if IRL, the pilots can lean to the side and look past their seat and see one of their stabilizers ? That would increase the SA a lot. Since we don't have 6DOF, that kinda limits it for us. Just want to find out if the sim behaves like the real thing in that field.

But we do have 6DOF. Follow this link for the mod for LO, its a little buggy but it works just fine.

http://www.checksix-fr.com/bibliotheque/index.php?Fichier=6064

Svend

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

Na, thats not possible because pilots are tied to their seats and they can move but not so much as to see the stabilizers.

Bengo, short answer: Yes, they sure as heck can, and they most certainly do.

There is a restriction in viewing angles due to graphical issues for the russian planes and the A-10 (those cockpits were not prepared for 6DOF, and in the case of MiGs and Flankers you can't actually see that far back anyway since your fuselage is in the way). For the F-15, feel free to adjust the 6DOF and view angle limits so you can see your stabilizers, the graphical glitches are minor, if any.

3:30.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

in the case of MiGs and Flankers you can't actually see that far back anyway since your fuselage is in the way

Really?!!

Check 0:29 with Su-27:

In fact, yes there's a fuselage of another Su-27 if you look over your shoulder...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]