The VSI scale on the HUD is fictional?

Frederf

Looking at this video there is the same scale in the lower-right of the HUD as we have in DCS. However, watching the video we see indications of "-20 m/s vertical speed" when clearly that is not what's happening coincident to that indication.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g99_sUT-dvY

It always bothered me that there would be an indication on the HUD that would range from 30 m/s to -30 m/s vertical speed. -10 is already a rather steep dive where most of my timid Ka-50 flying career is spent squarely between +5 and -5 which is not even noticeable on the scale.

You would think that there would be some options to change the stuff on the HUD. Along with this I am disturbed that we cannot have all the information on the HUD while using the Schkval since that is when we need it the most.

Fixed Video embedding

g99_sUT-dvY

Edit:- It seems that HUD VSI is connected to the Radar altimeter. You can see the radar altimeter jump all over the place when the Shark flys over buildings, changing pitch/attitude etc. This seems to me to be causing the VSI on the HUD to give strange readings. I would imagine the VSI instrument in cockpit is a barometric instrument, but I'm guessing

Nate

Edited by Nate--IRL--

The cockpit panel gauge is certainly barometric.

Perhaps the VS information is generated from changes in radar height and not barometric altitude change rate. In which case it should not function above the limits of the radio altimeter.

Ha! He didn't even try to land on some roofs or fly below some bridge. Not to mention trains or that ship below... He should also press RCTRL+ENTER...

There is something called 'hysteresis' and it is too low on that instrument. Maybe it needs recalibration?

Nice video, though :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]