Would like an explanation regarding Activation

Rodney

Hi ED, last year May 2009 I purchased Black Shark in the US from Amazon.com and I have installed and activated it 3 times but forgot to deactivate it twice, my fault.

Yesterday I installed Black Shark and after Activation I was left with 5 activations and because installing Microsoft .NET 2.0 for another Flight Sim that required it, it botched things up which requires a clean install.

So I deactivated using the offline approach because my Black Shark computer is not connected to the Internet. I successfully deactivated by going here: http://proactive.star-force.com/2.0/activate.php

It now says I have 9 activations left, so far so good. Here are my questions which I don't understand.

I wrote down the hardware code as part of the deactivation process.

1) So my questions are do I still have 5 activations left?

2) When activating or reactivating Black Shark do I use my Serial number and the Hardware code I wrote down to deactivate?

This is what I don't understand, so I hope you can help me out with this. :)

Thank you !

1) Yes. Deactivations and Activations are separate things.

1 - Purchase the game, you have 8 activations, 10 deactivations

2 - Install and activate, now 7 activations and 10 deactivations

3 - Install on new computer/new OS and activate, now 6 activations and 10 deactivations

4 - Deactivate, now 6 activations and 9 deactivations

5 - Reactivate, now 6 activations and 9 deactivations

Basically, using a deactivation allows you to "re-use" the previous activation.

2) Yes. Refer to the quick-start PDF in your doc folder for detailed procedure.

Note that a re-install with no hardware/OS change does not require a new activation. The previous activation will remain in registry and as long as the hardware code has not changed too much the same activation will be valid for the new install, though minor hardware changes are permitted - I have changed storage setup and such things as well as added one emulated IDE device without being prompted to re-activate). However, some software applications like WMware and excessive use of emulated hardware (like Daemontools) can "eat" activations, since the protection system is run without driver/Ring0 (for your security and privacy) and therefore is unable to differentiate between "real" and "emulated" hardware.

Edited by EtherealN
Bah, spelling

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

1) Yes. Deactivations and Activations are separate things.

1 - Purchase the game, you have 8 activations, 10 deactivations

2 - Install and activate, now 7 activations and 10 deactivations

3 - Install on new computer/new OS and activate, now 6 activations and 10 deactivations

4 - Deactivate, now 6 activations and 9 deactivations

5 - Reactivate, now 6 activations and 9 deactivations

Basically, using a deactivation allows you to "re-use" the previous activation.

2) Yes. Refer to the quick-start PDF in your doc folder for detailed procedure.

Note that a re-install with no hardware/OS change does not require a new activation. The previous activation will remain in registry and as long as the hardware code has not changed too much the same activation will be valid for the new install, though minor hardware changes are permitted - I have changed storage setup and such things as well as added one emulated IDE device without being prompted to re-activate). However, some software applications like WMware and excessive use of emulated hardware (like Daemontools) can "eat" activations, since the protection system is run without driver/Ring0 (for your security and privacy) and therefore is unable to differentiate between "real" and "emulated" hardware.

Thank you so much for the explanation EtherealN. :)

I have to do a format an reinstall because .NET 2.0 SP2 has registry issues so I have to start from scratch. :cry:

Rodney, dont worry about less activations. The ED guys are quite helpful the moment you run out - they will issue you a new set when you're out.

So just keep spending your activations/deactivations, they are meant to be used. :)

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

Rodney, dont worry about less activations. The ED guys are quite helpful the moment you run out - they will issue you a new set when you're out.

So just keep spending your activations/deactivations, they are meant to be used. :)

Thank you, Panzer :)

I know ED are good guys I just don't want to abuse the system. :smartass: