Red Dead-ly duo – 104th server Thursday night 7-8pm

coolts

To whoever was on the red team flying in a two ship mig-29, (and I think a mig-31), southbound over the mountains at waypoint 2. Congratulations sirs!

In my F-15, I was so task focussed on the mig-29 on my left, (both coming head on at me at 30mn, medium alt), that his wingman was able to passively lock me up and kill me with an IR missile, whist I was in SARH avoidance mode.

My neighbours could probably hear my, “WHEY AYE!!”, when the heater hit me.

I logged out and went and had a good think. I had been having some success over the mountains, being careful to avoid more than 1v1 unless there were other friendless in the area to distract my targets. The valleys are good to hide in, when extending away after a salvo of aim-120c’s goes active. But two fighters actively supporting each other with complementary attack strategies was a conundrum that I couldn’t solve.

This has brought me to an interesting impasse. Lone wolf flying is fine in a 1v1 furball, or for sneaky hit & run valley sorties, but in a medium altitude head on fight with competent supportive players? I need to start flying WITH people or limit my engagement parameters.

Right!

Headset sourced

Teamspeak installed

See you tonight after pub! (I will be the one no one can understand):drink::pilotfly::drunk:

BTW - on the server list, the 104th seems to be the only open server with more than 6 people playing on it. Are there others not on that list? (51st, 3sqn, 159th, etc. don’t appear on my list)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals

haha, nice one Coolts! , good luck!

the 104th server is definately enjoying popularity at the moment, but it's nice to have a focal point to play with lots of folk ... you;ll find some very very good teamplayers flying there from all sorts of squads, and flying WITH them is an incredible learning opertunity..... compeltely agree that TeamSpeak (or whatever voice comms) is ESSENTIAL for good SA and flying...the next step up from lone wolfing.

BTW - on the server list, the 104th seems to be the only open server with more than 6 people playing on it. Are there others not on that list? (51st, 3sqn, 159th, etc. don’t appear on my list)
These servers are on the list and you will see more than 6 people playing on them once in a while. Why the 104th is so popular these days is an interesting subject, because the other servers have good, if not better missions.

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Why the 104th is so popular these days is an interesting subject' date=' because the other servers have good, if not better missions.[/quote']

It's because the 104th are so damn cool Case :) Really, it is just too bad that the player base is not a bit larger. I don't think there is any mystery as to why the 104th is so popular. We have a large squad, so many times there are a lot of 104th on the server to get things kick started. I may also add like many things in life, missions are a matter of preference as to what is better and what is not. It is all how you play the mission. I should copyright that © ;)

Don't forget, we have a very good pipe for our server, thx goes to Paul and Ed, we are able to have people around the world with a good ping for everyone.

Our TS server is open for every client too and I see more and more people joining our TS and fly togheter, it is a nice trend so far, and I'am happy that people enjoy our server with two kick ass maps, and two more maps are in WIP, soo in this case, enjoy the 104th server.

:thumbup:

cheers

These servers are on the list and you will see more than 6 people playing on them once in a while. Why the 104th is so popular these days is an interesting subject' date=' because the other servers have good, if not better missions.[/quote']

The reason why I fly on the server all the time is because, the briefing is in English, alot of the other servers are in Russian.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's because the 104th are so damn cool Case :) Really, it is just too bad that the player base is not a bit larger. I don't think there is any mystery as to why the 104th is so popular. We have a large squad, so many times there are a lot of 104th on the server to get things kick started. I may also add like many things in life, missions are a matter of preference as to what is better and what is not. It is all how you play the mission. I should copyright that © ;)

I think a Trademark is what you want. Now, go sell it to ED and EA :)

Cheers guys for all your advice. I had a go on friday night but couldn't get teamspeak working properly. It was fine my end but just gave feedback to others, (as some unfortunate american guy was subjected to my wailing speaker whilst i was giving it, "one-two testing")

I reckon it was because my speakers were still switched on. I will try again later in the week.

One thing i noticed online. When i get hit, the screen switched to a picture from the airport tower. Not very friendly. I guess its because outside views are disabled. ho hum.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals

It's because the 104th are so damn cool Case :) Really, it is just too bad that the player base is not a bit larger. ...

it's because you guys take anyone in your squad :blow:

No longer active in DCS...

it's because you guys take anyone in your squad :blow:

Ha ha. A million comedians out of work and you are trying to be funny :)

Actually, right now our sign-up is closed for the 104th unless sponsored by a current member. We are reworking our fighter training and our current Black Shark training right now is incredible and not for the weak of heart. Trust me, we don't take any Joe off the street.

Coolts, it's gratifying to see you thinking (sadly, not everyone does this).

Modern tactics have fighters and attack aircraft operate in pairs or multiples of pairs. Historically (by the Luftwaffe during the Spanish Civil War) this was found to be more effective than a trio and vastly more effective than a lone wolf (who simply can't scan enough sky in defense and also attack effectively).

Bombers, transport helos and transport aircraft do operate singly.

If you can, team up with a like-minded soul or even an existing squadron while flying. It is a completely different experience.

Please don't start the "beauty contest" debate about servers. Perhaps the 104th is "plain vanilla" enough to suit many people's tastes. That leaves servers such as 51st and 3sqn free to experiment with other scenarios that suit other tastes - which they do extremely well. The overall number and variety of missions and servers within the community would seem to be a far better goal than the relative (and ephemeral) popularity between individual servers. So, please don't start feuding.

Moa - Seeing tactics in use like that is another world for me compared to single player vs AI. The learning curve just shot up again!

Once I get my damned headphones (mic feedback on teamspeak) sorted i will be online again.

I had no intention of starting a "my server is bigger than your server**" debate. I was just curious why I couldn’t find a lot of the squadron servers listed on the forums in my game browser. I actually assumed it was a ping-thing or some sort or a problem my end as the browser is so basic. I want to try out a lot of the servers as it’s the missions that interest me. Death match games get boring IMO, (that’s why capture the flag was invented after all). Grimes & 3sqn “capturing Maykop” looks very interesting and immersive. Want to try them all…..

Like I said, I haven’t really got beyond the lone wolf stage yet. Small steps…

**my server is actually smaller than yours I’ll bet. Just set up a tiny wee monster. Dual socket Xeon gulftown (12/24 cores, 24gb or RAM, 15k SAS drives) and only 1U!. Would make a mint FC2.0 server if only I could talk my boss into it……:smilewink:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

Reason why 104 is popular IMO is because they are an extremely chilled out crowd with no heirs about themselves. They are easy to talk to and don't pretend to sit on some sort of all knowing of pedestal when talking to you. And that's how it should be.

Simple equation:

More friendly = More people join to fly on your server.

More Ego = More people give you the middle finger and go fly on the 104th

LOL!

Peace

• Like 1

Reason why 104 is popular IMO is because they are an extremely chilled out crowd with no heirs about themselves. They are easy to talk to and don't pretend to sit on some sort of all knowing of pedestal when talking to you. And that's how it should be.

Simple equation:

More friendly = More people join to fly on your server.

More Ego = More people give you the middle finger and go fly on the 104th

LOL!

Peace

funny you're saying that

LOL!

• Like 1

No longer active in DCS...