Gonna need a bit of help on framerates

RAMjb

Hey there. Been flying some days now and think I have to post in here because probably what I'm experiencing isn't really normal.

I've looked in this forum for some references on which fps were people getting with their machines. I've read about a guy who has good framerates with a 2ghz CPU and 2Gb of RAM. http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=651752&postcount=3

I've got a dual core, 2.4ghz,, and 4Gb of RAM, yet I struggle to hit 25fps and when guns start to fire,the system struggles to hit 7-9fps. My rig isn't for sure the best around for performance but expected somewhat more, and I'm surprised that people with worse rigs are getting better experiences than me.

My system is a toshiba satellite P300 laptop. 2.4GHZ dual core, 4GB RAM as I said. OS is Vista 32bit. Graphics card is an ATI mobility radeon HD3650. DxDiag is uploaded in the text attachment. I made sure sound card&graphics card are the latest for my laptop. I tried turning CCC settings pretty low (antialiasing and Anisotropic? what's that? ;). Also Catalyst AI is off). Graphic settings are all low or medium (except for water, I edited it down to 0 in the graphics file). No avail.

So, well...hints, tips, anything?. I mean approaching for a landing at 25fps is more than acceptable, but suddenly hitting a wall and trying to set my chopper down at 7fps is...something I don't reccomend for a fainted hearted (even more with my "secure hand" at the stick, with just 9 days of experience flying the sim on full realism, lol).

DxDiag.txt

should also add, I always try to close anything open before starting BS. That means that when BS is running there's only trackIR open (and lately the task manager, because I use it and the resource monitor to check where the problem might be). I close everything else in the tray bar.

I'm running at a resolution of 1280x800. Top my laptop accepts is 1440x900, haven't checked with it because results are so poor with both the 1280x800 and the 1024x768 resolutions (checked them both, there was no noticeable improvement with the lower res, so I settled for 1280x800)

dunno what else to add, but if more info is needed I'll be happy to post it.

heya nate.

What's described there is how to set Water=0. This I already did. I also got the tweaking guide alpha and tried to lower some key settings down.

Thing is, I get 25-30fps which ain't bad. but now and then they will come down to 7-9fps (at the best) to later come up again to 15-25. Puzzling thing is that it sometimes happens in battle, sometimes when doing something as dull as trying to land...whatever it is ,it ruins the experience for me...

RAMjb, over-clock your CPU. 2.4 is not sufficient for DCS (imho). I had a Q6600 o-c'd from 2.4 up to 3.6 and it did wonders. Then I replaced the Q6600 with a E8500 (3.1) and pushed it up to 4.05 and DCS is much better.

Not familiar with ATI boards, but latest drivers might help if you're not on the latest.

I get FPS drops as a battle comes into view and also as wingmen and other AI come to life.

2600K @ 4.2GHz, MSI P67A-GD55, 16GB G.Skill @2133 , GTX 970, Rift, SSD boot & DCS drive

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

hey beers :)

Problem is I'm not really into overclocking procedures, and besides, mine is a laptop. Thus, no real chance to put a new, more powerful fan in and even while my knowledge of overclocking is limited, I do know that without a more powerful fan, overclocking CPU=frying it ;). So I guess that rules out the whole thing...

Drivers are the latest catalyst drivers. 10.5. Sound drivers are the latest from Toshiba aswell. was among the first things I checked after I installed BS, btw :)

Thanks for the input anyway, and any more ideas that might help, will be more than welcome.

RAMjb, unfortunately the laptop mentioned in the post of mine that you linked is no longer around to be investigated (I gave it to a sister and then it promptly died, like her computers usually do), but it should be mentioned that it did suffer from very occasional stutters too - in this specific case the stutters were random and I eventually tracked them down to the CPU heatsink: there was dust in there hindering the airflow and causing the CPU to overheat and "throttle" itself, causing seemingly random stutters. The only real pattern was that it only happened in applications that really tasked the CPU heavily - like DCS/FC.

Even if new, you could see about using some compressed air (be gentle if using an industrial compressed-air pump, like I do, don't want to literally blow components off of the motherboard ;) ) to clean out the internals of the laptop. The best option would be to disassemble the laptop and check for dust problems, but not everyone finds spending a couple hours on that to be fun on it's own, like I do. :P

You could also have a look at different drivers - newer isn't always better; maybe the latest version broke something that your specific card is using?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

RAMjb, unfortunately the laptop mentioned in the post of mine that you linked is no longer around to be investigated (I gave it to a sister and then it promptly died, like her computers usually do)

lol... so you also have a "laptop black widow" sister?. I got one too. Worse yet, each time she has any problem related with her computers, I get a phone call so I can magically solve them for her (living at 450km from where she is, btw :P), which equals at least twice per week. Dunno what the heck she's got with PCs, but I dream on the day she gets an iMac or something that I know nothing of so she can leave me alone, rofl.

but it should be mentioned that it did suffer from very occasional stutters too - in this specific case the stutters were random and I eventually tracked them down to the CPU heatsink: there was dust in there hindering the airflow and causing the CPU to overheat and "throttle" itself, causing seemingly random stutters. The only real pattern was that it only happened in applications that really tasked the CPU heavily - like DCS/FC.

not sure this might be the case with my laptop, I rarely get to see the fan accelerating to high speed on it and if it doesn't I guess it's because it's keeping the CPU cool enough. But will check for the cooling grills just in case, you never know. Stutters tend to happen when action is nearby but also happen another times, and those are pretty much random.

I do have a cooling base (one of those things you put under the laptop, which has several fans on itself and helps keeping the thing cooler) I rarely use. I'll give it a try aswell and see if the stutters dissapear with it.

Even if new, you could see about using some compressed air (be gentle if using an industrial compressed-air pump, like I do, don't want to literally blow components off of the motherboard ;) ) to clean out the internals of the laptop. The best option would be to disassemble the laptop and check for dust problems, but not everyone finds spending a couple hours on that to be fun on it's own, like I do. :P

oh already did that myself before, and with several laptops. I think I even still have a printed maintenaince manual on how to dissasemble it from the last time I did it (had to check for the AC connector which had loosened a lot and was preventing the AC plug to insert clearly).

Bad news is that this one is hard to dissasemble (comparatibely speaking with others). Good news is, well, I've done it before.

You could also have a look at different drivers - newer isn't always better; maybe the latest version broke something that your specific card is using?

Guess its not the case, I did the update of sound&graphic drivers after trying BS the first times, and I didn't detect any drop on performance (no increase either). I've ruled out drivers problem for the time being, tbh.

Thanks a lot for the input!!! :)

heya nate.

What's described there is how to set Water=0. This I already did. I also got the tweaking guide alpha and tried to lower some key settings down.

Thing is, I get 25-30fps which ain't bad. but now and then they will come down to 7-9fps (at the best) to later come up again to 15-25. Puzzling thing is that it sometimes happens in battle, sometimes when doing something as dull as trying to land...whatever it is ,it ruins the experience for me...

To quote the FAQ post I linked....

Some graphics options can be set in the options.lua file found in the \...\BlackShark\data\scripts folder.................. If you experience a frame hit when inside a dust cloud, setting the effects parameter to '2' will disable the visual effect.

This dust cloud is used when landing and also used by ground units, like MRLS, when firing off salvoes of rockets.

Nate

ahhh yes, now I know what you say. Will give it a try, but also have to say that in quite many FPS stuttering I've experience there was no dust present, or at least none that I could see.

Worth a try anyway, will see if this helps. Thanks a lot :)

I recently posted about something similar that was happening to me, but I had no luck and I didn't have any reply.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=54811

But you guys gave me the clue. It was all about dust in my cooling system. Now I have +30 and almost all the time +45 fps with no stutters. I couldn't believe it because its a pretty new laptop (only 7 months old), but yes, once I blew some air through the intake I got a nice dust cloud in front of me!!

Thank you guys! :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

MSI GT72 6QD Core i7 6700HQ 2.6GHz-3.5GHz - 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVidia GTX970M 3GB DDR5 - 256 GB M.2. SATA SSD + 1TB HDD 7200 RPM - 17.3" 1920 x 1080 Full-HD IPS Screen - Trackir 5 - HOTAS Warthog

[

ok and your running this on a laptop and expect good performance come on , its a laptop its not for gaming my friend,

My system is a toshiba satellite P300 laptop. 2.4GHZ dual core, 4GB RAM as I said. OS is Vista 32bit. Graphics card is an ATI mobility radeon HD3650. DxDiag is uploaded in the text attachment. I made sure sound card&graphics card are the latest for my laptop. I tried turning CCC settings pretty low (antialiasing and Anisotropic? what's that? ;). Also Catalyst AI is off). Graphic settings are all low or medium (except for water, I edited it down to 0 in the graphics file). No avail.

So, well...hints, tips, anything?. I mean approaching for a landing at 25fps is more than acceptable, but suddenly hitting a wall and trying to set my chopper down at 7fps is...something I don't reccomend for a fainted hearted (even more with my "secure hand" at the stick, with just 9 days of experience flying the sim on full realism, lol).

ok and your running this on a laptop and expect good performance come on , its a laptop its not for gaming my friend

Not only that, it's a 3 year old trustworthy laptop that I've developed a liking for, and that I expect to keep for some time to come (finances won't allow for anything else, anyway) :D.

No, I don't expect "Good performance" But I do hope for "decent performance" given that it still is avobe the minimum requirements, and given that some other posters experienced such decent performances with systems more limited than my own's.

So, any hint to squeeze any further FPSs will be more than welcome. I know I don't own a top class rig (far from it) and that I can't expect miracles, so I don't. But I do think my system can make BS work with decent framerates, more than what I'm getting now, and deliver a very good simulation experience. Even with the problems I'm experiencing I'm already getting that, so I'm looking to further improve it in any way I can.