A little light relief: 1.1 racing challenge.

I think that would be the most accurate way of judging times, just reading the debriefing.

Cool.

Comparing planes in this difficult flying scenario:

su-27 1:34 nice ride

F-15 1:33 but harder to keep from stalling

A-10 1:44 nice ride

su-25's can't even finish under the rules...terrible cornering too...hehe

I like seeing how the different platforms handle the tight turns and brake to landing. Makes me glad that I don't have to really fly an su-25. :rolleyes:

Now...back to :icon_jook

------------------

Wingmen should pretty much stick to two radio transmissions, "Two." or "Sir, you're on fire."

Negative, land is the time your wheels touch down, then you'll need about 10 seconds to come to a complete stop, that's why you "land" three times when you bounce on the runway. And please post a track of it, so we all can enjoy your ride.

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy:

Negative, land is the time your wheels touch down, then you'll need about 10 seconds to come to a complete stop, that's why you "land" three times when you bounce on the runway. And please post a track of it, so we all can enjoy your ride.

Oh yea :p

So Bigfoot, please record a track of it, and then see if you can land and come to a complete halt in under 1.36 in the su-27

The mission land times say squat, as you can as well just take off, fly around, and then land, without going through the course, so we need a track of it. Use rapidshare to put it online. http://www.rapidshare.de

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy:

Ahhh...that was my question earlier...I suspected that the land time was touchdown time, but I kept hearing about the in-game timer, so figured it made sense that that time was what everyone was referring to.

So everyone has to use a stopwatch while playing back the track...ok.

I couldn't get the record track to ungray or get ctrl-r to work, so I'll keep trying...that puts me in the 1:44 range so I'd better practice some more too.

------------------

Wingmen should pretty much stick to two radio transmissions, "Two." or "Sir, you're on fire."

So everyone has to use a stopwatch while playing back the track...ok.

No stopwatch required. I wanted something that was enjoyable, not a chore :-) Just switch to F2 and the time's at the bottom of the screen when flying or watching the replay.

Andrew McP

No stopwatch required. I wanted something that was enjoyable, not a chore :-) Just switch to F2 and the time's at the bottom of the screen when flying or watching the replay.

Andrew McP

Ahh, THAT timer...sheesh, I didn't even think of that one...hehe.

Thx.

------------------

just gotta get a little slower in that last turn to land, my landing roll just goes on and on. Fun stuff.

How you dump speed in the air on that final turn to land is critical. Get it right and you can virtually stall onto the runway at minimum speed, giving you a shorter roll. In the AFM aircraft you seem to be able to pop the parachute at low speed before landing. That helps! But in the 27 you have to wait until touching down. We must find some stronger parachutes. Wonder if I can steal one out of a B-52? :-)

Andrew McP

Maybe you should look at my su-25 course, and see if you can improve it

I looked at your course and thought maybe it was a little long for such a slow aircraft. Needed more excitement :-)

But then I re-discovered that the most exciting thing about the 25 is trying to get it to stop! So I've created a small course aimed mainly at encouraging us to practise our landings and approaches in that demanding little aircraft. Maybe once I've got my time down from 2'10" on that I'll be ready to try a more demanding course.

Judging the right time to deploy the parachute will probably help me most. You have a very narrow window of opportunity to open it in. Too soon and it blows off. Too late and you're ploughing fields. Hard work, but at least it's useful practise for when I need to land in a hurry on the battlefield... which seems to be every time I take the 25 out tank hunting :-)

Andrew McP

I'm having trouble getting under 2:03...

Track from my home server HERE ..no waiting...hehe.

It's cool watching all the other tracks out there too.

------------------

Why don't you guys do online racing like this only a larger track and a little faster speeds...!!???

...because I don't know the IP of your server??!!11?? OMG WTF!!!11?? :icon_wink

------------------

*20:54GMT, server now down*

Why don't you guys do online racing like this only a larger track and a little faster speeds...!!???

I've been trying to avoid online play for years... sucks up too much time if you're not careful :-) And with racing, lag is critical. You need very low latency to be able to get close to another aircraft. So international racing is a recipe for nightmares.

Still, it's now 9:50am GMT (+0:00) Saturday and I'm testing my router/adsl connection to see if I can host. I've opened up port 10308 (I think!) and the machine's running the Su27 race mission tweaked for five clients starting in the air. If anyone watching in the next 12 hours or so could try to connect to it just to see if they actually connect, I'd appreciate it. If it works maybe we can try something more organised some time... or I could leave it running more regularly as a race practise server (can only race properly with whoever's driving the server there to hit "s" with everyone ready to race.)

Anyway, unless it crashes while I'm asleep (which won't be for a few hours yet) it's the Andrew_McP server on hyperlobby, or try 81.86.109.249 directly from within 1.1. I'll edit this message when I take the server down.

Chances are this won't work at all though, my router is probably forwarding incoming traffic to email or something ;-)

Andrew McP

Shoot, I need to check here more often as I prolly just missed you. No connect. I think I'll go update my hyperlobby and see what's going on there.

Thanks for trying, I would like to see how the 1.1 performs as well in MP...I'm kinda afraid of what I'll find tho...tweaking...lots of tweaking... hehe

------------------

Thanks for trying, I would like to see how the 1.1 performs as well in MP...I'm kinda afraid of what I'll find tho...tweaking...lots of tweaking... hehe

ED stuff rarely works without a *little* struggle... I mean, er, effort ;-) The biggest problem at the moment may well be my online server inexperience though. It's now, er... 13:41GMT (http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/ for local times relative to each other) and the server's back up on the same IP, not on Hyperlobby this time though.

I've left the mission running, with me in spectator mode. Yesterday someone from HL was able to connect and chat, but couldn't fly for some reason. Still, connecting is half the battle. The rest can be sorted out if I'm around.

Anyway, the server will be up for the next 12 hours or so unattended if anyone fancies trying to connect to it. Later on (my night off work) I might hang around Hyperlobby as McP... Or I might just sleep a lot. The thing about working nights is your biological clock gets completely messed up. I've learned to catch up on sleep whenever I can! :-)

Andrew McP

• Like 1

Ya, connected ok at 128/128, but it keeps cycling and dumping me out each race start, like maybe it wants all client planes filled before starting.

I saved the mission while I was in there and flew it offline where it ripped my open canopy off at race start...pretty funny hearing stuff you don't normally hear in the pit like the braking chutes opening behind you...hehe

------------------

connected ok at 128/128, but it keeps cycling and dumping me out each race start, like maybe it wants all client planes filled before starting.

Thanks for trying anyway. Now I know it's worth investigating multiplayer mission design in more detail. It's not something I've paid a lot of attention to before.

flew it offline where it ripped my open canopy off at race start

Interesting. Wonder why the canopy was open? I think I have a lot to learn :-)

Andrew McP

Did you increase the time out period in your config.lua file?

Thanks EB, that's one of the things on my "to do" list.

I'm going to sit down soon and read my way through every thread I can find with multiplier discussion in it. It's great to be using a forum where "search" actually works! :-)

Andrew McP

hye everyone,

I performed a 1.32s (ok closer from 1.33...but full stop confirmed) in the su27 run.

The only problem is that I can't host the track file via wanadoo :icon_evil (because they want me to do a website, not file exchange...)

So if anyone would have any easy solution to share it (not emule please :icon_redf ) it would be fine.

Correction: just done a 1'29" (closer to 1'29" this time :biggrin: ) the aircraft is okay...

• Like 1

So if anyone would have any easy solution to share it (not emule please :icon_redf ) it would be fine.

Hi Tigrou, we know how good your flying is. No need to show us the trk, we believe your time :-)

But it would be nice to see you fly anyway. Try...

http://rapidshare.de/

It seems very good for small files. No need to register, just upload using the "browse" and "upload" buttons, then you get a link to the uploaded file.

Andrew McP