Flight Director - evil or genius?

Yurgon

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too have to agree that FD is more responsive and natural for me. I only switch it to AP long distance Route flying or hovering. As for what real world pilots do... well they don't have my joystick!

I haven't flown BS in a while. However, I tried to get used to flying with FD off and managed to get a lot better that way, but I still feel extremely comfortable knowing that FD is there when I need/want it.

It pretty much depends on the mission profile, or to be more precise it depends on my approach to it. Whenever there is lots of maneuvering, I prefer to fly with FD on. In the early missions of the GOW campaign (I haven't yet advanced beyond the early missions), things are so tight I can hardly ever let go of the controls, so I like to fly with FD on until I get into a stable hover. In the later missions of the deployment campaign on the other hand I flew quite a lot without FD and felt comfortable.

IMO, in DCS:BS it is primarily a matter of personal choice whether you fly with or without FD.