Observation - graphics.cfg /vis range settings

Shaman

Okay. Can anyone explain me.

Default visibility settings for FC2 are medium (after clean install).

If you go to graphics.cfg file you will note Medium is selected.

When you change withing ingame options world visibility settings, LOW to MEDIUM to HIGH, then this change does not reflect change in graphics.cfg. There always Medium is selected if you care to go there and check.

Why is that?

:helpsmilie:

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

Like kuky indicated - many of the graphics.cfg settings are now legacy, as those things have been moved in through the lua-socket via options.lua.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

So which ones are still active? I see that game then reads only from the Medium section, since it stays selected as Medium in graphics.cfg no matter what you choose in the in-game options.

tail# 44 or 444

If it's in both options.lua and graphics.cfg, options.lua is your bet.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Confusing... I hope they drop/clean legacy files with one patch... and dead settings and code.

tail# 44 or 444

whould be great, to make it easier to tweak performance issues.

TM HOTAS WH :joystick:, Saitek Pro Pedals, Track IR 4, 2xJoyWarrier, 1x KeyWarrior, i52500k @4600MHz, ASUS P8Z68-V Pro, NV 670GT, SSD+ WD BC+ WD Raptor, 32HD:pilotfly:[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'd have to doublecheck whether it's used to store defaults and such, but don't think so. I'll tinker with it and see what I can come up with.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Believe it or not he mentioned once he could see if there were fuel tanks on the hornet at 18nm.

I can understand one thing though, the sky is not the same in all regions on the planet... some countries have more polluted air then others, and there are other natural occurrences for this (temperatures, humidity etc) that gives the sky its "colour" and how clear the skies are.

In australia the sky is very clear most of the year and you can see for very large distances... try that in China for example :P

I also notice that in LockOn (and FC2) shadows are applied to high quality LOD's meaning, once it's switched the shadow is gone and texture of the aircraft changes... and it affects aircraft visibility. In everyday world the way light interacts with matter is what matters, if this is ever brought into account in games can we try to get close to realistic visibility.

No longer active in DCS...

Clear Lomac sky and still can't tally at say 5-8 miles is unrealistic in my view based on what I've been told in the real world and time spent in light aircraft. Apart from that the game play aspect of this means I don't enjoy going to the merge in FC2 as much as 1.x as the vis range makes it very difficult to setup for the fight.

I'd like to make correction to my previous post... Sven was talking about being able to distinguish a Learjet with fuel tanks, not the hornet.. so my bad :) 18nm for a hornet seemed bit too far out for me also... but anyway... it was in fact a Learjet

No longer active in DCS...