Advertising?

Does ED plan on advertising for the A-10C Warthog? I feel that it has a lot of potential, but very little recognition.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Intel i7-4790k | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo heat sink | Thermaltake Core V71 case | 750W EVGA PSU | 8gb G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 5 LGA 1150 motherboard | Samsung SSD | ASUS STRIX GTX 970 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | TIR 5 | Razer Deathadder | Corsair K70

i dont know if they really have to.....i think that it will sell well on reputation.....and on recommendations from others who will be "on it" when it's released.

combine that with the control system release, and you pretty much have a marketing plan in action,

pretty pictures help too...... IE screenies.....

Action After Contemplation

Tv spots, specifically for a study flight sim would be ineffective for the cost involved. First off tv commercials are pretty much made for women now a days. It's also very hard to sell a aim like this to a new audience in 30 seconds, hawx, cod yes, because it's all very shallow cinematic experience, just quickly cut a bunch of explosions together with a hot sound track.

I think producer notes in themselves are an amazing forum of advertisement with hardly any cost to ED. There will most likely be some form of formal ads closer to release. (reviews, web page previews, gamer magazine features etc.)

I think the most effective advertising is GAs (and others) vids on youtube. Guarantee to sell copies with those masterpeices. Every time I watch one of those vids there is always comments saying "what is the name of this game?".

[url=http://www.aef-hq.com.au/aef4/forumdisplay.php?262-Digital-Combat-Simulator][SIGPIC]http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/2500/a10161sqnsignitureedite.png[/SIGPIC][/url]

Advertising a study sim in a good way seems hard to me. I suppose attention is good no matter who it's coming from, but it feels a bit off to me to advertise complex games through over-the-top action trailers with explosions and Hollywood antics. Obviously people can draw their own opinion as to whether they want to buy the game or not, but doing that feels like conning someone who's expecting HAWX into looking at a game where the "real reason" you're supposed to play it is because of the 200 simulated switches and systems. The problem is that "200 switches" doesn't make for a very good selling point or trailer unless you're pitching it to the kind of audience which probably already knows about your game. (I'm not criticizing GA's videos by the way, they're very well done and not being shoved in anyone's face.)

I learned about DCS from playing at an ArmA II community where a bunch of people kept bringing it up (also, using it in comparisons with that game's flight model a lot :)). I looked at YouTube videos of Black Shark and I was blown away that someone had actually managed to get something like this produced and published. I didn't even have much of an interest in combat flight sims before, but the fact that all the systems were simulated so accurately was what sold me instantly. So I agree with the people saying YouTube videos are a good, user-driven means of advertising the game.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I want a DCS A-10C Warthog shirt, cap, Underoo's sneakers and featy pajamas's.

Allmost forgot, a DCS A-10C Warthog lunch box as well. All merchandise must be officially licensed of course, no knock off's.

I would wear them proudly.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

OS:WIN7 HP X64|MOBO:ASRock Z68|CPU:I52500k@4Ghz|RAM:12Gb 3x4Gb GSkill Ripjaws 9-9-9-24 @1600Mhz|GPU:ASUS GTX580|HDD:2x128Gb Crucial sataIII SSD raid0|PSU:Antek 1000watt|Case:Antek 1200|Peripherals: TMWH|Saitek ProFlight rudder pedals|TrackIr4

If ED would not use nudity it would not be up to nowadays standards for sure.

I was thinking an effective commercial maybe something along the lines of..

They show the cockpit view. You hear over the radio the JTAC giving the pilot reference points ("We got enemy armor west of the river bank, how copy!"), while hes saying this, they would show, in the cockpit view, the smooth 6DOF in effect with the pilot trying to spot the enemy armor. Then, the pilot would go "2 is gonna be in hot in about 10 seconds...", they would then show a dramatic external view (blur effects etc) of the A-10C rolling inverted to the left, popping flares. Then they would show a close up of the hog going in a 45 degree dive towards the ground, and everything in the background would be super blurred to dramatize the badass-ness of the hog. Then, they would pop over to the JTAC's view, hes watching the A-10. The A-10 fires its GAU-8, you hear the supersonic bullets hit, then the gun vibrate, and he banks hard right, dropping flares...the tank is smoking...the tank is smoking more...BOOM tank blows up.

Just an idea. I think the dramatic effects are very affective against the modern consumer. Maybe the idea of a "learning sim" doesnt sound appealing to them now, but by marketing it as something crazy intense, fast, and things going boom, they will pick it up, and gradually learn how fun it actually is.

Im not saying a TV advertisement, maybe a front page youtube ad. They always have those giant ones playing when you go to their homescreen.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Intel i7-4790k | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo heat sink | Thermaltake Core V71 case | 750W EVGA PSU | 8gb G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 5 LGA 1150 motherboard | Samsung SSD | ASUS STRIX GTX 970 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | TIR 5 | Razer Deathadder | Corsair K70

I remember way before the BS release, the squadron I was with caught wind of the sim and were going nucking futs in anticipation for it. I think with the reviews over at SimHQ & others, it's getting it's fair share of publicity to a big portion of the simming community.

With the customer base (not just here in the forums) really satisfied with ED's performance with a helicopter sim, there is no doubt a huge bubble of folks spreading the word about the A-10.

Edited by Booger

• ED Team

Please be assured that we have a marketing plan in place - Youtube videos, Banner ads on websites, advertising and reviews in magazines etc etc - worldwide from South Korea to Columbia.

However, the timing of this has to be carefully planned. Too early and we will be accused of promoting vapourware, too late and we will miss opportunities.

Having problems? Visit http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/Main_Page

Dell Laptop M1730 -Vista- Intel Core 2 Duo T7500@2.2GHz, 4GB, Nvidia 8700MGT 767MB

Intel i7 975 Extreme 3.2GHZ CPU, NVidia GTX 570 1.28Gb Pcie Graphics.

I try to spread the word around the various general forums, where I can. It would be usual to have a few people who have heard of DCS on most forums. But you do also get a majority of people who've never heard of Lock On let alone DCS.

I've seen tons of Track IRs, X52's and Saitek pedals bought in those threads, when people are made aware of current flight sims.

It good to see that although Flight sims are far from mainstream, people are still interested in them once introduced. The key is simply making people aware they even exist. Stuff like GA's promos assist immeasurably with this.

Nate

I try to spread the word around the various general forums, where I can. It would be usual to have a few people who have heard of DCS on most forums. But you do also get a majority of people who've never heard of Lock On let alone DCS.

I've seen tons of Track IRs, X52's and Saitek pedals bought in those threads, when people are made aware of current flight sims.

It good to see that although Flight sims are far from mainstream, people are still interested in them once introduced. The key is simply making people aware they even exist. Stuff like GA's promos assist immeasurably with this.

Nate

Word of mouth in flight simulation goes a long way in addition to the regular advertising.

Not strictly on-topic, but good articles in PC-Pilot for the July/August issue by BeachAV8R. Lengthly review of FC2 and ongoing tutorial series for BS with CD.....Good read and even better exposure :)

http://www.pcpilot.net/view_issue.asp?ID=800

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Not strictly on-topic, but good articles in PC-Pilot for the July/August issue by BeachAV8R. Lengthly review of FC2 and ongoing tutorial series for BS with CD.....Good read and even better exposure :)

http://www.pcpilot.net/view_issue.asp?ID=800

wow, i never knew there was an actual flight sim magazine.

I was thinking an effective commercial maybe something along the lines of..

They show the cockpit view. You hear over the radio the JTAC giving the pilot reference points ("We got enemy armor west of the river bank, how copy!"), while hes saying this, they would show, in the cockpit view, the smooth 6DOF in effect with the pilot trying to spot the enemy armor. Then, the pilot would go "2 is gonna be in hot in about 10 seconds...", they would then show a dramatic external view (blur effects etc) of the A-10C rolling inverted to the left, popping flares. Then they would show a close up of the hog going in a 45 degree dive towards the ground, and everything in the background would be super blurred to dramatize the badass-ness of the hog. Then, they would pop over to the JTAC's view, hes watching the A-10. The A-10 fires its GAU-8, you hear the supersonic bullets hit, then the gun vibrate, and he banks hard right, dropping flares...the tank is smoking...the tank is smoking more...BOOM tank blows up.

Just an idea. I think the dramatic effects are very affective against the modern consumer. Maybe the idea of a "learning sim" doesnt sound appealing to them now, but by marketing it as something crazy intense, fast, and things going boom, they will pick it up, and gradually learn how fun it actually is.

Im not saying a TV advertisement, maybe a front page youtube ad. They always have those giant ones playing when you go to their homescreen.

every now and then popping in a nude woman for a faction of a second for subconscious persuasion!