radar scan distance.

I am having troubles figuring out a few things as I get my butt handed to me in MP Operation Moonshield. Any help on these specifics is greatly appreciated.

1. I know my R27ER should be outranging the aim120 yet I am constantly dieing to those damn things in duel. Is it an issue of fire and forget vs my SARH dependency on radar lock? Or is there something the f15 pilots are pulling off that has escaped my noob understanding ??

2. Radar range scale in Su27: ie top left near my pulse frequency... what is ideal in a search/non AWACS enviro like op moonshield?? default is 50 . I know it is the radar cone projection so to speak but what should I set it to?

3. TWS mode.. Sometimes if i have pulse in HI/MED, I try to kisk into TWS and it automatically swtiches back to SCAN...doesn't seem to want to stay in TWS. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

1 - With SARH vs ARH missiles, the plane firing the ARH will be able to turn away once the missile goes active, meaning that depending on previous maneuvers he can enter the notch to defeat your missile before yours reach him, but his missile is still heading for you. A well placed ER shot should get there first, but this depends on geometry. Do not just launch and keep flying straight for your enemy - you are then aiding his missile. Turn on gimbals to keep distance as far out as possible. Shed altitude to force it down into thicker air, then force it to maneuver and bleed speed.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Well first and foremost thing you have to remember is that AIM-120 has onboard radar and once within certain range it will go autonomus and the F-15 pilot can abort and fly away from you/your missile while you have to keep lock till (hopefully) impact so there's the first and major advantage they have over you.

I tend to never shoot at R-max unless I am high and targeting AI transporter/AWACS etc as they do not evade as fighter/humans do (if you fire at R-max and target starts evading the missile will just not hit as it won't have energy to keep following the manouvering target) or I am just after making the guy busy a bit so take a shot at longer range. Different people react/fly in defferent way and more experienced one will never get hit by missiles fired at such long range... but there are always exceptions and then again sometimes even experienced people make a mistake

Why you can't keep radar in TWS mode I don't know, could it be you are accidentally pressing it twice hence going back to SCAN mode? If you are in TWS mode and lock a radar contact, when you unlock it will switch back to SCAN by default and radar elevation/scan zone and expected target range will be reset also.

• Like 1

No longer active in DCS...

3.: For TWS to work you have to be either in HI or in MED

2.: It is the display scale. Has no influence on radar performance.

1.:SARH depend very much on lock. You should keep a solid lock during all the missile flight. (check topics on R-27ER)

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, MSI MEG X570 UNIFY (AM4, AMD X570, ATX), Noctua NH-DH14, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti XC3 ULTRA, Seasonic Focus PX (850W), Kingston HyperX 240GB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB, M.2 2280), 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16, Cooler Master 932 HAF, Samsung Odyssey G5; 34", Win 10 X64 Pro, Track IR, TM Warthog, TM MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudders

3. TWS mode.. Sometimes if i have pulse in HI/MED, I try to kisk into TWS and it automatically swtiches back to SCAN...doesn't seem to want to stay in TWS. Any ideas?

Jammers. ;) If there is a jammer in your scan zone, it will default back to RWS mode.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

thanks for all the help

I am starting to think that the SU27 is not a noob friendly ride in terms of online MP. I don't think I have won a single SARH ARH duel today... plenty bruised I am. :cry:

Maybe its time for me to learn the MIG so I can carry a few r77...

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

I am starting to think that the SU27 is not a noob friendly ride in terms of online MP.

It's not true, just take advantage of the R-27ER, fly high above the enemy, launch, dive below the enemy to keep a good lock.

• Like 1
Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, MSI MEG X570 UNIFY (AM4, AMD X570, ATX), Noctua NH-DH14, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti XC3 ULTRA, Seasonic Focus PX (850W), Kingston HyperX 240GB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB, M.2 2280), 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16, Cooler Master 932 HAF, Samsung Odyssey G5; 34", Win 10 X64 Pro, Track IR, TM Warthog, TM MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudders

Well, the MiG has it's own disadvantages - the very limited fuel capacity means that you need to be a lot more fuel counscious than in the Flanker, and the limited hardpoint budget has other disadvantages - you really cannot afford to waste missiles with it.

To be quite honest, I don't think there's any plane that's actually "noob-friendly" in the regard you are thinking about. Some red pilots would go on about the F15 in that regard, but it does have several severe drawbacks too - especially after the patch when the low-mach behaviour and thrust levels were corrected. (An experienced Eagle pilot wouldn't notice that much if at all, since they'll stay above the affected mach numbers anyhow, but it does punish a "noob" heavily if they aren't good on the stick.) Similarly the TWS with multiple-target-engagement capability is often quoted, but since the APG-63 integrated automations aren't simulated unless you use ERI (and even then not all of them) it can cause a huge amount of frustration for someone that doesn't have a bit of training under their belt.

My suggestion, dooom, would be to find a friend or helpful person online to give you some coaching. Do a few flights single-player versus single missile-armed opponents while having Tacview running, and then offer those for analysis to that person or even on the forum here. Real pilots haven't learned from self-study since ~1910, so no reason for you to do so either. :)

If you go the tacview route, I would be up for helping you with some commenting on them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

hehe - thanks again everyone!

Tacview... I can't believe I haven't thought of that - I used tacview extensively when learning the Shark. I presume you are implying seamless functionality with FC2 (albeit probably a patch).

I think that''s what I'll do. It is really an issue of winning the SARH/ARH duel so soliciting input with tacview tracks is probably the best. I have watched the ironhand tutorial a few times but have yet to see anything in game run that play in any similar regard (isnt that always the way?)

Got to say - I never played any modern sim before the BS title... soooooooo much to learn compared to the highest fidelity prop sim - then again I have flown prop sims for 11 years. This is really a great community.

Thanks again.:smartass:

It's not true, just take advantage of the R-27ER, fly high above the enemy, launch, dive below the enemy to keep a good lock.

hmm interesting idea to dive after launch. I'll have to try that. people were telling me to stay low vs the f-15 online yesterday (before that I was flying at 13K).

I'm going to try that.

Thanks!

Well, before trying maneuvers, try to work out what affects what in an engagement. Aspects, speeds, air densities etcetera. Just "parroting" maneuvers will only make you predictable, but learning the underlying logic will let you "understand" the situation around you and this is what lets you win the fight.

...or, for that matter, what lets you realize that it's time to bug out. Remember: it's not about killing or being killed, it's about having a mission and doing your best to fullfill that mission. If you can't - get home, restock and re-assess and try again another day. You cannot try again if you are dead. Do not be afraid of simply "running". ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

will tacview display a/c radar cones?? just so we can see what we were doing?

hmmmm - i can't seem to get tacview to record my online play - it keeps saying track file is empty - to check that export script is properly installed - any idea what that means?

I had a particularily frustrating evening against aim120s again.

I just dont know why i keep losing that duel - the r27er should out range the 120 yet i never ever ever seem to win it.

The server is locking tacview out - you need to alter the track file to remove the tacview lockout ... I think Case wrote a little batch file to make it easier for you to do - try a search of the forum :)

And the R-27ER does out-range an AIM-120C in the sense that it will get to its target fast ... but if that target does anything to delay the arrival of your missile, and you don't do the same, that 120 will arrive first instead.

Problem 2: Your opponent can launch that 120C outside of Rtr and turna round and out-run your 27ER easily while you take his autonomous 120C in the face.

For 1: Work your geometry. You might still lose, the 120 is a superior weapon - but you'll make the fight harder.

For 2: He turned away? Why aren't you doing the same? It's not like your missile will hit him if you keep the lock at this point.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Please also note that the (freshly-minted) version 1.3.0 of the lottu utility also supports TacView during track playback.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=935775&postcount=22

Download lottu 1.3.0 for Windows (requires Java) directly from:

http://www.stallturn.com/wiki/upload/2010/4/lottu-1.3.0/lottu-1.3.0.exe

Other versions can be downloaded from the lottu homepage at:

http://www.stallturn.com/wiki/en/lottu

Thanks Moa - cna you clarify? Lottu enables the ability to record Tacview tracks on the 104th server? I presume i install and then still view the tracks in Tacview?

Please advise.

Thanks to the 104th for all the ongoing support.

If I recall correctly, what the application does isn't record tracks on the 104th server, technically. What it does is give you an easy way to replay the track from your flight, real quick, and it automatically enables (and then disables) Tacview for this purpose.

That about right, Moa? Haven't used it myself yet so I had to go by memory.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Yes, GG you are thinking of FC1. The tacviews are not currently locked (hopefully soon they will be). They are jusy disabled as file check is on for export.lua.

Doom,

Since tacview recording must be turned off to join most servers, you need to playback the track and turn recording back on in Tacview before you play back the track. Moa's utility let you do this automated and much easier then manually turning on Tacview and then loading the track for replay in FC2.

1) Yes, your ER has longer range so you should hit the bandit first, but if he evades that first, he can then fire on you and then break lock 8 miles before their missile hits you. There are many tactics to over come this that include teamwork and cranking (search F-Pole). The SAHR is at a disadvantage compared to ARH, but you can overcome them. Also, if an F-15 launches TWS mode then you will not get RWR warning of launch until missile goes active 8 miles out. If you don't react the very second you get the warning, you are in trouble.

2)Check this out

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=54965&highlight=Radar+elevation

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.ph...Expected+range

3) Russian TWS will automatically go to to STT mode when your selected missile is ready to fire at Rmax on the contact. Move your TDC away from the radar contact to stop it from automatically snapping to the contact until you are ready.

3) Russian TWS will automatically go to to STT mode when your selected missile is ready to fire at Rmax on the contact. Move your TDC away from the radar contact to stop it from automatically snapping to the contact until you are ready.

Slight correction... I believe its at 85% of Rmax it will then change to STT. :thumbup:

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

An easy way also is just Switch to R-73 in TWS and you can keep the TDC Box on the tgt and it wont auto lock a BVR contact and just switch to ER when ready to lock and fire, although I'm sure you already know this but this is a good tip for newer fellas in the Russian birds!

Peace

I think the f15 is infinitely easier to use than the Flanker. Thus I have never learnt the Flanker fully (although I did pass the 104th Flanker module).

Everything is so much more automated in the Eagle, self trimming is a huge plus on its own, then you just put the radar in TWS and keep it there so you can see the altitude of every radar contact that shows up, and the there is not much else to do except fight.

As mentioned above, stay near corner speed and all will be well.

What sort of BS is this? Real pilots want to have the easiest plane they can possibly operate, and I think you'll find more quotes indicating that showing weakness is a bad idea.

Follow your own advice instead of making up your own version of reality ;)

Isn´t that the challenging and fun part, working your systems and controlling your jet same time, trying to exploit your opponents skills in doing the same ? Playing out the differences given with the different plattforms (Jets).

Otherwise you can just use easy radar mode (and other things), believing

it is more realistic, making up your own vision of realism, but in fact just placating your soul with few literaly "virtual" meaningless successes.

Nothing more achieved then brief scores, which noone will remember.

Entertaining yourself can often turn into "lies".

Quote: (deep)

On the whole people´s thoughts on combat have been essentially been focused on the idea of only winning. Many people involved in fighting sports

are under this illusion. But this is OK. Personally, I think it´s more important

to understand what "not loosing" is.

More than just the idea of winning or showing strenght and great techniques, there are many splendid things found in the techniques and the

feeling of not losing. Therefore in combat not losing takes priority for self defense. Recognizing that the opponent wants to win you would hand it to him, in presenting him with you win.

Show you are losing and in reality it is a way to win. "Strength appears in showing weakness" or "Defeat points the way to victory".

Hatsumi Masaaki

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Certainly it's a reasonable exercise to apply the comments of kobudosoke although they are a little out of context, and convention suggests more relevant references remain Boelcke's Dictum and the comments and observations of the various aces since.

Col Robin Olds (later BrigGen) used his WW2 ace experience flying the P-38 over German airspace, when he was called to turn around the air war for the USAF in Vietnam and devised Operation Bolo, and led the mission in his F-4(C I think), and then continued a successful combat record. He clearly draws on his combat experience flying piston fighters in the 3rd gen jet fighter combat characterised by Vietnam, and was one of the major advocates for reintroduction of dogfight skills into jetfighter pilot training.

This is that kind of BS which you dont understand.

It is to deep for you.

If you actually would understand anything about war tactics, war philosphy, art of fighting, or martial arts or at least have read "Art of War" by Sun Tzu or at least modern war doctrines, you would have seen the important meanings between the lines and you would have understood.

It is the same BS what gets you downed if you cross my airspace in your beloved "real pilots want" simulator :smilewink:

(thx you for being very rude as moderator while advocating opposite)

So how was your bowl of rice on top of the mountain today? :megalol:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]