Cougar Hotas questions...

So I made my comeback to flight simming and I picked up a DVD copy of FC2 and now I have to assign stuff to my Thrustmaster Cougar.

My 1st problem is that I have to known the buttons names on my hotas.

There is no easy assign tool that shows me the names of the buttons that are pushed in?

Thus I need a list/schema that explains the names for the corresponding stuff on my cougar.

It is been a while… 1 or 2 years? :D

PS. I can figure out the stuff that is already assigned like JOY X … etc…

Edited by TucksonSonny

DELL Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 940 2,93 GHz @3 GHz, 8 MB cache | 8.192 MB 1.067 MHz Tri Channel DDR3

| 512 MB ATI® Radeon™ 4850 | 500 GB 7200 rpm Serial ATA | Samsung SM 2693 HM 25.5 " | HOTAS Cougar Thrustmaster |

Utilize Foxy:

Flight-stick Layout Editor - [shift F5]

Throttle Layout Editor - [shift F6]

Key Test - [Ctrl K]

Edited by 159th_Viper

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Utilize Foxy:

Flight-stick Layout Editor - [shift F5]

Throttle Layout Editor - [shift F6]

Key Test - [Ctrl K]

ok thanks,

Now I just have to know: What is Foxy?

Where can I find it? :D

DELL Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 940 2,93 GHz @3 GHz, 8 MB cache | 8.192 MB 1.067 MHz Tri Channel DDR3

| 512 MB ATI® Radeon™ 4850 | 500 GB 7200 rpm Serial ATA | Samsung SM 2693 HM 25.5 " | HOTAS Cougar Thrustmaster |

Foxy is the Cougar Programming Software. Which O/S are you running?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Foxy is the Cougar Programming Software. Which O/S are you running?

I only have the HOTAS Cougar Control Panel , version 3.01

Firmware version 3.06

and I am running Vista 64 bit;

I just need a schema with some explanation on the Lockon FC2 names.

something like what is the corresponding name for the red cannon button on my cougar in FC2 options menu? :thumbup:

It shows me a long list of 100+ cougar button names...

I only have the HOTAS Cougar Control Panel , version 3.01

Firmware version 3.06

and I am running Vista 64 bit;

I just need a schema with some explanation on the Lockon FC2 names.

something like what is the corresponding name for the red cannon button on my cougar in FC2 options menu? :thumbup:

It shows me a long list of 100+ cougar button names...

If you installed the driver package from the Thrustmaster site then Foxy will have installed with it:

http://ts.thrustmaster.com/eng/index.php?pg=view_files&gid=1&fid=3&pid=50&cid=1

Look in your start panel and see if Foxy is there-

[ATTACH]40522[/ATTACH]

Edited by 159th_Viper

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you installed the driver package from the Thrustmaster site then Foxy will have installed with it:

http://ts.thrustmaster.com/eng/index.php?pg=view_files&gid=1&fid=3&pid=50&cid=1

Look in your start panel and see if Foxy is there-

[ATTACH]40522[/ATTACH]

I found the complicated Foxy program where you can indeed write complicated macros with.

But I did not find the FC2 names like

JOY BTN5

JOY BTN4

JOY BTN1

JOY BTN3

JOY BTN POV DL

JOY BTN POV DR

JOY BTN POV D

JOY BTN POV L

JOY BTN POV R

I guess I start to figure out which button is what on my hardware manually:

-> assign 1 button on 1 FC2 function

= to find 1 button combination I have to try 100 possibilities from FC2 options list and launch the game about 100 times to find out which one is it…:D

Repeat this proces for the 30 missing functions...

If you're not going to program the stick with Foxy then just program the buttons in game. All you need to do is

-Clear default button assignments (DCS will try to auto assign buttons)

-Select the column for the Cougar

-Select the command you'd like to assign

-Push the button that you'd like that command to be assigned to

There is no need to know what button assignments are, all you need is to select the command you'd like to program and press the desired joystick button to be programmed. The first step is important you need to clear the assignments DCS makes for your controller when you first start the game with a new controller. That way what ever you assign won't conflict (In your case this is the Cougar assignment column). It's very straightforward you're just thinking it's tougher than it is.

And while you are doing as HHF suggested make a note of each of the button numbers as they are assigned for future reference.

$0.02

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

If you're not going to program the stick with Foxy then just program the buttons in game. All you need to do is

-Clear default button assignments (DCS will try to auto assign buttons)

-Select the column for the Cougar

-Select the command you'd like to assign

-Push the button that you'd like that command to be assigned to

There is no need to know what button assignments are, all you need is to select the command you'd like to program and press the desired joystick button to be programmed. The first step is important you need to clear the assignments DCS makes for your controller when you first start the game with a new controller. That way what ever you assign won't conflict (In your case this is the Cougar assignment column). It's very straightforward you're just thinking it's tougher than it is.

Example:

I figured out slider 1 for the thrust, so this I have assigned correctly!

For my target AA designator in the sensor section I was selecting:

left: <ctrl> together with "JOY BTN POV1 L"

right: <ctrl> together with "JOY BTN POV1 R"

down: <ctrl> together with "JOY BTN POV1 D"

up: <ctrl> together with "JOY BTN POV1 U"

but it was not yet working…???

"JOY BTN POV1 …" single was already used for camera view…

You may want to reset to default and try this profile. It's realistic and very good

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=51736

Also, one thing I had a hard time figuring out (I'm thick like that), when assigning axis (e.g. micro stick or range or throttle) just select the relevant assignment then just move the axis you want assigned to it (e.g. move throttle back and forth) until it is picked up by the assignment window.

Hope that was clear.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You may want to reset to default and try this profile. It's realistic and very good

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=51736

Also, one thing I had a hard time figuring out (I'm thick like that), when assigning axis (e.g. micro stick or range or throttle) just select the relevant assignment then just move the axis you want assigned to it (e.g. move throttle back and forth) until it is picked up by the assignment window.

Hope that was clear.

ok thanks, I figured out how to activate your profile on my cougar with foxy!

The trick is compile/download the setup file within Foxy or whatever option and this enables simulation button mode for the hotas.

Now I just need to find a Mig-29s friendly TM cougar profile.

Looks like FC2 ignores everything you do in FC2 options controls assignments.:mad:

I am so stupid :D; I was selecting "Mig-29S" and doing a config for "Mig-29"

thus that was my problem ...

Now everything works!