Need to ask a Stupid Question

MrUnSavory

Hi Guys,

Now before you rip me up for the way I play let me first let you know that as much as I enjoy DCS, I also have other simulations I spend time with ( Online Racing, FSX with many addons and others ). So spending the time to get to know all the controls in DCS is just not an option. So ( and here is where people beat me up....LOL ) I play DCS with my X-52 in GAME MODE!!!......Yes...I said it...and I hang my head.....Game Mode.

Now I know most of you are hard core DCS guys and would never think of using this option but it is what works best for me and allows me the greatest satisfaction.

My Question is "Is there a way to play Multiplayer with Game Mode Controls?" I so want to play in Multiplayer but have tried and cant even so much as get my weapons armed ( ok, quit laughing you all, I can hear ya!! ).

If there is not currently a way could ED please look in to this as I think there are a lot of people who would love to play this sim but are afraid of the complexity.

Thanks for any replys guys, and be nice, I know it is hard to resist laughing at me. But I truly would love to play this in multiplayer after having it for more then a year. :)

Thanks!! :thumbup:

• Like 1

If someone hosts a server with Game Mode enabled, then you can play multiplayer in game mode. Alas, as far as I know, none of the popular permanent servers have enabled game mode. You could always try hosting one yourself, and hope for other like-minded people to join you.

Ultimately, however, the whole point of this game is to be an extreme fidelity hardcore sim. If you're playing in Game Mode, you're missing out on 70% of the game's value. You really ought to try taking a few days to learn the controls. Watch the Producer's Notes on Youtube for a video walkthrough of each of the Ka-50's systems. Once you get through all 8 or so videos, you should know enough to fly and survive in Sim Mode.

Setting up the X-52 for Sim Mode is probably rather easier than you might think. If you haven't already, download the extended pilot's manual from the main page. Here's a direct link, but it may not work as you probably have to log in first to access it:

ftp://ftp1.files.eagle.ru/dcs/manuals/DCS-BS_Manual_EN.pdf

Once you've got that, go to page 6-5 (pg79 of the pdf), and you'll see a picture of the real life Ka-50 cyclic stick, and a description of the buttons on it. Same thing on page 6-9 for the collective. You'll see that your X-52 has far more buttons than the real life controls, and all you need to do is map the 10-15 or so controls to your X-52 to be ready to fly. With the exception of the ejection handles, the canopy door, and the throttle levers, every other function of the helicopter is accessible in the virtual cockpit via your mouse. The throttle levers can be mapped to one of the rotaries on your X-52 throttle, or to the flip switches on the base of your X-52 stick.

If you do this, and get through the Producers Notes, you'll see that there really aren't all that many functions to learn, most of the switches are only used at start up and shutdown (which can be done automatically even in Sim Mode by a single cheat key-stroke, LWIN-HOME I believe). Furthermore, you'll probably start to realize that until this point you haven't really been enjoying the real meat of the game, flying and combat will start to become far more fun and rewarding, and best of all your original query will be resolved as you'll be ready to hop on to any multiplayer server!

Or if you can find any servers allowing Missions in Game Mode (Maybe STP-Server does) ..

... Then you can hook up on Ventrilo / Teamspeak - There's 100's of people willing to guide you through flying a DCS in Real Mode. ;)

Voice Com will bridge the gab very often - to get you started. :)

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

• 2 months later...

Maybe someone can explain how to do this? we have tried. My single player version is in Game mode. When I launch a server and choose a missin (in this case battle.miz) we are still in realistic mode. I see no setting to switch to either mode. Someone help me please, I have a friend who just bought this and now we can't play.

Or if you can find any servers allowing Missions in Game Mode (Maybe STP-Server does) ..

NO! Never was and never will! No =STP= will fly in Game Mode.

How do you appraise =STP= ?! :huh:

Edited by =STP= Dragon

@ MrUnSavory: In every mission you can force the game mode or real mode.

Be sure you set the game mode in your options and checked the hook "Use this settings for all missions" (Gameplay options).

If the mission is still in real mode in multiplayer:

Open the mission in the editor and switch to the mission options.

There you can find a "table".

In the middle column you can find the settings for game mode "imortal", "unlimmited ammo", "game mode avionics" etc.

Check the hook on the left AND on the right side of this settings and save the mission.

NO! Never was and never will! No =STP= will fly in Game Mode.

How do you appraise =STP= ?! :huh:

o7 sorry bud, I wasnt sure what kind of modes you offered on all your servers :) You had a quite alot of servers a while. ;)

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning