DCS A-10C QUESTIONS

Peyoteros

Thanks fellas.First need a pot of coffee and then I will test again and see what comes about with a fresh mind.Yesterday I learned that if you cycle way points with DMS and back track from a later waypoint to a previous one your deviation line will be on the opposite side.So I assume that proper procedure is to always back track to previous waypoint and then to the one you wanna select?

"Its easy,place the pipper on target and bombs away." :pilotfly:

i7-8700k/GTX 1080ti/VKB-GladiatorPRO/VKB-T-rudder Pedals/Saitek X55 throttle

Hey...

"How do i find out what Version of DCS A-10 i have. And how do i install the latest patch"

open DCS and look to the bottom right corner for the version you're currently using.

Upon opening DCS the auto-updater should prompt you to update... just say 'Yes'.

Acer AMD Phenom II x 4 840T, 16 gb. memory, Zotac GTX580 Amp2 3GB, 40" Philips tv, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Combat Rudders , Cougar MFCD's w/ 21.5" LG monitor, DSD Track Master button box, 3rd. century Roman field comanders helmet w/ Track IR 5, Windows 7 Home P.

“God is a comedian, playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh.”... Voltaire

"Diplomacy is the practiced art of being able to confidently say 'nice doggie' until you find a rock" ... Tom Clancy

O and also. What's the difference between when i open the game just DCS-10C & DCS world and play A-10 from their? The Graphics and sounds are better in DCS World then they are in DCS-10. Is their any other differences then those?

Well, if you run DCS World it should be. DCS World has an updater which checks release on startup. Whenever there is an update you get a notice, that you may skip, but next time it comes up again.

In DCS World all modules get updates automatically.

The current DCS World A-10C compared to the standalone 1.1.1.1 release has gotten some detail fixes and corrections, that you won't notice when not familiar with the plane, yet. It is more than just eyecandy.

Also DCS World has all the AI objects and updated planes. So when designing missions there are more detailed AI planes (ED is still updating models from time to time) or for example an armed house that actually can shoot at you...

The major difference comes with Multiplayer where every module is integrated and can fly with others.

Nothing more cool than calling in an A-10C from your Huey to blast a T-55 into oblivion that stands between you and the wounded crew needing CASEVAC immediately! :D

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Gunsight Range calculation

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I was curious as to how the range displayed on the gun pipper (or range for any CCIP employed weapons) is calculated in the A-10.

I did a quick search and browsed through the manual, however I still couldn't find any info.

I had a guess that maybe it was calculated using radar altitude and dive angle to make an approximation but that seems iffy to me at best.

Cheers :pilotfly:

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

[...] I was curious as to how the range displayed on the gun pipper (or range for any CCIP employed weapons) is calculated in the A-10.

AFAIK the aircraft uses its digital elevation database to calculate where an object is positioned on the ground (or, more precisely, where the aircraft line-of-sight towards the SPI intersects the ground). Then add the aircraft's own position (known by GPS/INS) and all that remains is some trigonometry. :thumbup:

I'm not sure how in-depth the manual is on this subject, but terms like "Digital Terrain System Application Software" (DTSAS) and "Digital Elevation Database" should point you in the right direction for a search (both in the manual and here on the forum). :smartass:

If you lase the target at the SPI, the measured distance replaces the DTS database information. That will further reduce the margin of error for the calculation of the CCIP solution. Also wind should be accounted for, at least the wind at the plane's altitude.

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Thanks for the info guys. Will definitely file that tip about the laser away in the back of my head, I'm sure it'll come in handy at some point.

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

Thanks for the info guys. Will definitely file that tip about the laser away in the back of my head, I'm sure it'll come in handy at some point.

Most definitely! :D It's a must for precise JDAM drops (GBU-38 etc.) Especially in hilly terrain or when targetting from low altitude with a shallow angle to the target.

attachment.php?attachmentid=66290&d=1337612483

Shagrat

I have a different question regarding landing - today I made a approach with correct speed, however once I touched the ground I begun a bumpy and noisy run. After turning to F2 view, I found out that my front wheel got badly damaged. Now is that something random, or did I make a mistake, i.e. did not flare my Hog enough at the final part of approach? Whatever the reason, I got back to base safely :)

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

Wow.....I having a rough time learning this sim.:( I have a few questions to ask before I proceed because then I will be even more lost.

Are the escape maneuvers actually modeled?It says in lesson that ramp starts will have this setting set to none and until you set correctly you will not be able to release weapons,but thats not true in game.Same with minimum alt for a bomb not changing the carat on reticule.

Just now I had a GBU-38's selected and I swear that when I hit my master mode key,it allowed me to drop using CCIP mode.But now it says USE CCRP on hud and will not allow me to drop in CCIP mode.Did I imagine this just now?

No where did I read that 3/9 release turns into MAN Rel at a certain altitude and that drove me ape shit!:joystick:

Do some bombs just not allow you to use 5MIL? Its set to 3/9 on hud when I set to 5mil in setup.

And finally,I just noticed that all the bombing videos I have been watching on Utube seem to be at low wind while for me at times the ladder is stuck to the sides of hud.Just checked in mission "Air start" description where it stated 9mph winds but in game and I look at the waypoint page on CDU it shows 31mph winds.:doh:

Do not confuse master mode manual settings with weapons profiles! It is possible to activate a profile and switch to CCIP manually, overriding the profile... it does not mean the weapon supports it. Especially the GBU-38 can only be dropped in CCRP.

On the other hand, a GBU-12 can be dropped both ways. When you chose a profile set to CCRP, and you need to bomb a tank quickly, you can switch to CCIP and dive bomb if necessary.

Always keep in mind, masted mode and selecting weapons on DSMS directly switch to a manual selection.

The better way is to set up all profiles for a mission before attacking. You may have multiple profiles for the same weapons.

Ah and the escape maneuvers were bugged. They should alter the MRC and some parameters,but not sure it is working 100% correct, yet.

EDIT: to not confuse you, you can drop GBU-38 in 5Mil and 3/9 modes, but essentially they are specific CCRP modes, as well. That way you can toss bomb a target, but you need to adjust the profile and meet release parameters with your flying. Wags had a video on that one on YouTube IIRC.

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

Wind is stated in meters or feet per second, not sure which. Depending on different wind layers the windspeed changes while ascending. In addition I have a hard time figuring if it is IAS, TAS or ground speed... the CDU will give you IAS at your current altitude, only.

Shagrat

Do not confuse master mode manual settings with weapons profiles! It is possible to activate a profile and switch to CCIP manually, overriding the profile... it does not mean the weapon supports it. Especially the GBU-38 can only be dropped in CCRP.

On the other hand, a GBU-12 can be dropped both ways. When you chose a profile set to CCRP, and you need to bomb a tank quickly, you can switch to CCIP and dive bomb if necessary.

Always keep in mind, masted mode and selecting weapons on DSMS directly switch to a manual selection.

The better way is to set up all profiles for a mission before attacking. You may have multiple profiles for the same weapons.

Ah and the escape maneuvers were bugged. They should alter the MRC and some parameters,but not sure it is working 100% correct, yet.

EDIT: to not confuse you, you can drop GBU-38 in 5Mil and 3/9 modes, but essentially they are specific CCRP modes, as well. That way you can toss bomb a target, but you need to adjust the profile and meet release parameters with your flying. Wags had a video on that one on YouTube IIRC.

Hey thanks Shagrat,yes I did check in DSMS and GBU-38 is not possible to change to CCIP.Probably clicked DMS which changed over to the CCIP weapon as its easy to get confused in this sim.Its so funny when I see videos say stuff like "just place pipper over target and its as easy as that".....sure:thumbup: And I did see the Wags video on bomb tossing and will give it a try after I get settled.:book:

Wind is stated in meters or feet per second, not sure which. Depending on different wind layers the windspeed changes while ascending. In addition I have a hard time figuring if it is IAS, TAS or ground speed... the CDU will give you IAS at your current altitude, only.

I dunno,just seems I have excessive wind compared to the videos I see on Utube.Trying to learn how to bomb when the ladder is off the hud completely at times is not easy.:megalol:

Yepp! Only way is to reałign your flight path. Best against the wind, at least with the wind. Ommit crosswind drops.

That is the problem with real as the real thing, sometimes reality sucks!:D

Shagrat

Yepp! Only way is to reałign your flight path. Best against the wind, at least with the wind. Ommit crosswind drops.

That is the problem with real as the real thing, sometimes reality sucks!:D

LOL was thinking the same thing today....dam reality sucks in a sim but at same time draws me in more.:lol: Thanks for the idea of bombing into the wind and yes I never thought of that.:doh:

Just now I am bombing the crap out of an airfield and no detonations again!!! So I F2 to see if maybe I do not have bombs on-board and lo and behold the plane is loaded with all blue weapons.This sim is hard enough to learn yet someone decided to load training bombs on my plane causing an even sharper learning curve.huh.gifIts taken me a week of training to learn that.:joystick::lol:

When I first began flying the A-10c, I had the speed brake mapped (correctly) to the TM Warthog HOTAS but did not understand that, once you deploy the speed brake, although the switch is spring loaded back (half way) the speed brake does not close until you push it completely the other way. For weeks I thought it was a DCS bug and just flew it that way. Someone flew with me one day and complained that my speed brake was open. I told him it was a DCS bug and he, embarrassing to me, showed me that it was only a ID 10T error.

Now I fly with a fully functional speed brake. True, however, I still occasionally have different ID 10T errors.

:doh:

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

I have a different question regarding landing - today I made a approach with correct speed, however once I touched the ground I begun a bumpy and noisy run. After turning to F2 view, I found out that my front wheel got badly damaged. Now is that something random, or did I make a mistake, i.e. did not flare my Hog enough at the final part of approach? Whatever the reason, I got back to base safely :)

1. How long did you keep your nose up after touching down? if you are using the same technique as the F16 (keeping the nose up as long as possible since that will slow the plane down without the use of wheel brakes) then you're pretty much guaranteed to destroy your nose wheel. So if you flared and kept the nose up for a while, then the hard slam could puncture the wheel.

2. Were you playing single or multiplayer? Sometimes on multiplayer you can have the smoothest landing ever and still shred all of your wheels. :doh:

[sIGPIC]http://www.masterarms.se/http://www.masterarms.se/forum/index.php[/sIGPIC]

We are looking for Swedish members!

http://www.masterarms.se/

1. How long did you keep your nose up after touching down? if you are using the same technique as the F16 (keeping the nose up as long as possible since that will slow the plane down without the use of wheel brakes) then you're pretty much guaranteed to destroy your nose wheel. So if you flared and kept the nose up for a while, then the hard slam could puncture the wheel.

2. Were you playing single or multiplayer? Sometimes on multiplayer you can have the smoothest landing ever and still shred all of your wheels. :doh:

Yup, that might ge the reason. I did it twice so far, and on second attempt, being sure that last time the reason was lack of flare, I kept the nose up for quite some time.., and shattered the wheel again :) still, I was quite pleased with myself, as I was landing with quite strong cross - wind. It was in single mode. Thanks for your reply!

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

When I first began flying the A-10c, I had the speed brake mapped (correctly) to the TM Warthog HOTAS but did not understand that, once you deploy the speed brake, although the switch is spring loaded back (half way) the speed brake does not close until you push it completely the other way. For weeks I thought it was a DCS bug and just flew it that way. Someone flew with me one day and complained that my speed brake was open. I told him it was a DCS bug and he, embarrassing to me, showed me that it was only a ID 10T error.

Now I fly with a fully functional speed brake. True, however, I still occasionally have different ID 10T errors.

:doh:

Dude,step away from the computer!:lol:

LOL,in BOS I have yet to take off without my canopy ripping off.