DCS A-10C QUESTIONS

Peyoteros

How do A-10s communicate in bigger operations?

I would expect you would want to be connected to some sort of ground commander or someone who can connect you to ground units in case they spot a SAM over the next hill or something, no?

VHF AM seems to be exclusively used to chat with ATCs, VHF FM to JTACs... can they inform you of general ground news? And UHF goes to your own flight. What if you want to coordinate with other flights though? How do you call?

What if a ground commander suddenly notices a shit-ton of armour coming across a hill somewhere and wants to send A-10s there... if you're plugged in to your ATC, JTAC and flight then how could they ever tell you?

Do the ground guys contact you via UHF (since they know the frequency)?

I would expect you would want to be connected to some sort of ground commander or someone who can connect you to ground units in case they spot a SAM over the next hill or something, no?

VHF AM seems to be exclusively used to chat with ATCs, VHF FM to JTACs... can they inform you of general ground news? And UHF goes to your own flight. What if you want to coordinate with other flights though? How do you call?

What if a ground commander suddenly notices a shit-ton of armour coming across a hill somewhere and wants to send A-10s there... if you're plugged in to your ATC, JTAC and flight then how could they ever tell you?

Prior to each mission you run through each radio channel during the briefing so you as a flight knows exactly where, when and what freq you are to be at.

There is not just one actor on the battlefield - in todays standards everyone should be able to contact anyone within the network. With whom you communicate with depends on the situation. Most likely you are not speaking with your HOB when you are 500 miles away in the AO supporting TIC (its not even able since radio waves have a limited range).

Radio discipline are extremely important. A good pilot can easily become a bad pilot if he has no clue on what to say - to who he say it. Obviously there are different communication rules and actors depending on where and what the situation demands.

The VHF/UHF radios in DCS are not really that realistic in terms of what radios the actors is on. I would say the most realistic is the ATC on AM - but I suppose that is not always true either in real world operations.

The most true answer I´ve learned in aviation from my IP is: It depends! :)

[sIGPIC]sigpic70266_4.gif[/sIGPIC]

Snooze-81st-vFS

In an emergency situation the ground troops would contact JTAC and JTAC would put them in direct contact with the ground troops. assuming the radio frequencies weren't available to the ground troops for some reason.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

Bitter reality seems to be "troops call up chain of command until someone can contact airforce, then airforce goes down chain of command to the pilot/flight lead"

Only if JTAC or other air controller is embedded he may(!) have the frequency list where that flight is listed on.

A decade ago even embedded aircontrollers were rare and the different branches of the armed forces did their own thing without much consulting or communication...

Recently read a nice nook about Operation Anaconda with a good grasp of the planning phase and how they managed nearly f*** up everything. Title is : "Not a good day to die" - Sean Naylor

Unbelievable!

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

That's the MWS on the A-10. It will track any missile fired in the area even if its not directed at you.

But how ? I thought it`s just simple Radar Warning Reciever, and Mavs don`t emit anything.And my RMR or MWS doesn`t warn me about manpad launch or any other heatseeker launches.

EDIT:

Thanks for replys, kontiuka, i haven`t even seen your post before my reply :D

Why then fighters doesn`t have mws for heatseekers? The mws must have very short range?

Edited by Roger Ramjet

Excuse my English, please.

Why then fighters doesn`t have mws for heatseekers? The mws must have very short range?

This is a pure ignorant guess but maybe they wouldn't be as effective on fighters because the amount of heat coming out of the engines of a fighter (compared to the A-10) would mask a missile launch.

This is a pure ignorant guess but maybe they wouldn't be as effective on fighters because the amount of heat coming out of the engines of a fighter (compared to the A-10) would mask a missile launch.

Thanks mate!

Has it ever warned you about the manpad?

For me MWS (not the RMR) only function is giving me a heart attack when my wingmen launching mavs.

Excuse my English, please.

If you happen to fly in an sufficient angle to the manpad it gives a launch indication. It does not cover 360* around your A-10C, though. And as for MAVs, first thing you learn in Multiplayer is to call out "Rifle!" whenever launching a MAV... as your mates will hectically evade and give "SAM launch!!!" warnings, until you sheepishly mention that it "may be" was just your Maverick...

Unfortunately AI does not communicate well.

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Thanks mate!

Has it ever warned you about the manpad?

For me MWS (not the RMR) only function is giving me a heart attack when my wingmen launching mavs.

Yes, it works for MANPADs, too. But it is not 100% reliable - so don't count on it.

Reasons for that (my guesses):

- Limited range of the MWS

- type of missile (amount of exhaust gases & temperature) - a MAV fired from a wingman close nearby produces probably a way bigger IR signature than an Igla from 2 nm in the woods

Striela IS a manpad. Thanks!

Nope! That would be an IGLA or the Stinger. The only two MANPADs in the SIM currently.

Shagrat

Game mode missing target icons

I am playing in the game mode and the red target icons aren't showing up. I am using 3 screens. What am I doing wrong? They sometimes show up on the right or left screen but I can see them on the center screen. They show fine if I use only one monitor.

• 3 weeks later...

probably a silly question but I cant download ricardo's horse of war texture off of lockon files. do I need to make an account or what?

Link to my Imgur screenshots and motto

http://imgur.com/a/Gt7dF

One day in DCS... Vipers will fly along side Tomcats... Bugs with Superbugs, Tiffy's with Tornado's, Fulcrums with Flankers and Mirage with Rafales...

:)The Future of DCS is a bright one:)

Yep! Just The usual to block crawlers etc.

Shagrat

Yes! It was designed for that... and it works if implemented correctly! ...both in game and IRL :D

• Like 1

Shagrat

Well yea... All the video / documentary blurbs I watch about the A-10 tells me that it's gun is the best thing ever to plink down armor (I agree of course)

But in game... I've nearly emptied the entire drum on a single tank. Nada smoke.

So was wondering...

Maybe was just a fluke... Shall retry again....

*Out of topic

The Ka-50 has 30mms as well right ? Does that mean I can also use it's guns against armor ?

Check angle, GUNPAC active, and most important: always attack a tank from the rear! APCs etc. you can kill with a 1 sec burst easiliy, tanks need sometimes more than one pass... currently damage is modeled as "hitpoints" in different areas, so unless hitpoints are completely gone, no effect!

Shagrat

So the Su-27 EOS has laser ranging? How come the LWS on the A-10C doesn't pick it up? If it is a laser, shouldn't it be causing some kind of response; or is it not strong enough/on some undetectable frequency?

||i5-9600k||MSI GTX1070Ti Duke||16GB DDR4 G.SKILL Ripjaws V||Gigabyte Aorus B360||X56||