DCS A-10C QUESTIONS

Peyoteros

Shagrat, I was referring to CCIP. Yes the purpose is to attack with a plan. So with wind I fear getting extra velocity against tail increasing speed. Yet I want to know if correcting LASTE on CDU also corrects CCIP PBIL and pipper.To my understanding the gun is wind corrected in 4000 ft and 4/6/8 (or was it 6/8/12) reticle, but CCIP gun reticle or cross aren't.

I was referring to CCIP, also. The wind correction, though it doesn't do 100%, should correct all calculation based targeting symbology (no RL Hogdriver, but anything else doesn't really make sense).

Especially, when in CCIP, planning the attack and considering wind direction helps a lot in an accurate drop. After roll in get the PBIL as stable as possible and aligned with the target... That should give the IFFCC enough time to calculate quite precisely.

To my experience gun PAC needs a few seconds to stabilize, also. Wind correction or not...

When doing CCIP drops, do you try to follow the bombing triangle routine?

That was what helped me a lot to improve my deliveries. I'm still far from great at this, but I often hit at least close enough to the target to damage or kill something. :D

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Here for example.

http://www.simhq.com/_air9/air_273b.html

There is a thread on this forum from the 476th that discussed the procedures,including Z diagrams in detail. Unfortunately some "wannabe pros" nitpicked and ranted long enough, so they deleted the link to the documents etc.

The 476th obviously have a strong military aviation background, but some armchair generals can't except when they are wrong.

Ah, about Z diagrams...

http://navyflightmanuals.tpub.com/P-1219/P-12190046.htm

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Found the old thread...

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=99688&highlight=76th+vFS+Battle+Book

There are some posts by Eddie and Noodle, which brilliantly explain the concept.

Shagrat

Just in today:

I noticed that they ramped up the explosive effects a.k.a. splash damage recently.

Was able to kill a strela and three trucks in one Maverick shot. They are spaced about 50 or so feet apart ?

There was a discussion about the SU-25's FAB bombs being more 'explosive' recently (can't find the thread atm).

I just seemed to notice that bombs in general are more effective now. Even the CBU-87s

Just in today:

I noticed that they ramped up the explosive effects a.k.a. splash damage recently.

Was able to kill a strela and three trucks in one Maverick shot. They are spaced about 50 or so feet apart ?

There was a discussion about the SU-25's FAB bombs being more 'explosive' recently (can't find the thread atm).

I just seemed to notice that bombs in general are more effective now. Even the CBU-87s

see also here: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=140535

Yeah, that was a long discussion until they finally tweaked that. Still just blast damage, no splash (fragmentation), but much better IMHO.

When I said, "I manage to damage something" I was more referring to my bombing skills improving ;)

I used to hit far, far away from the target. After learning how to do a stable roll in and level out, adjust direction against the wind, keep the pbil steady and "fly it over the target" my hits are much closer... Improved bomb damage or not.

Still I mess up approaches, level out to early, etc. from time to time.

It's all about practice, like always. :book:

Shagrat

Yeah, that was a long discussion until they finally tweaked that.

Where, what? At the russian forums?

Still just blast damage, no splash (fragmentation), but much better IMHO.

If that is true, then I am REALLY disappointed. Cranking up the blast effects is the completely wrong way imo. They actually did that some patches ago for unguided rockets and aircraft cannon shells - to be more effective against infantry, I suppose. But now shaped charge warheads are a bit pointless - HEI is way more effective against armor now...

But atm I am not yet convinced that this is really the case - as in "an intentional 'workaround'" (see the thread I linked to). For instance, there are no changes in the respective LUA files and I doubt that they tweaked their calculation formulas just in the binary code.

Valid point. I had no chance to compare the lua files, yet.

But I wonder if they really updated any binaries to add frag?

I mean, all weapon characteristics are tweaked in lua files, why would they have separate functions in multiple binaries for frag?

Whatever they did, I'm happy with that. At least until EDGE saves the (DCS) world. ;)

Shagrat

I was referring to CCIP, also. The wind correction, though it doesn't do 100%, should correct all calculation based targeting symbology (no RL Hogdriver, but anything else doesn't really make sense).

Especially, when in CCIP, planning the attack and considering wind direction helps a lot in an accurate drop. After roll in get the PBIL as stable as possible and aligned with the target... That should give the IFFCC enough time to calculate quite precisely.

To my experience gun PAC needs a few seconds to stabilize, also. Wind correction or not...

When doing CCIP drops, do you try to follow the bombing triangle routine?

That was what helped me a lot to improve my deliveries. I'm still far from great at this, but I often hit at least close enough to the target to damage or kill something. :D

Not precisely. My biggest issue now is understanding mil sighting system to put nose on desired aim off distance (something you cant calculate in a sim because distance changes with zoom perception ) and in fresh, uncanned threat environment I don't really know how to use the Z-sleds (even 476th's sleds). Also, need to work on getting correct release angle (pitch set to sled profile angle, for example 82 45 DB 2)...

What I understand now, again back to winds is that I have to have enough speed for bombs to penetrate weather and retain flat trajectory part longer through turbulence. This is why I also set a DTOF of 5 seconds. It is easy but needs firm grasp of sighting which the manual doesn't cover (for example how many mils in a 45 dive between aircraft datum and horizon), because if I know the slant range I can know where to point my nose on rollout so the staple is perched immediately to target. Almost like 476th videos.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

• 3 weeks later...

Two questions.

EO mav timer: Can't find it in manual, but will mav seeker get damaged if I leave it on for a long time? Is there a limit?

CDU warm start: After landing, my CDU displays error and then it shows warm start. Well, I found what does it mean, but is there anything I have to worry about if I want to takeoff again? I only noticed that I have to set my STEER PT to FLT PLAN again. Anything else I have to set up, or just takeoff and leave that WARM START note there...?

Warm Start: no, it's OK. Just recalibrating EGI (as far as I understood). Never had any negative effects.

With EO time, it seems there should be a limit (degradation, etc.) Yet, I never encountered any noticeable effect, not sure if I never reached the time frame or if it is even modeled.

• Like 1

Shagrat

It varies slightly by model but 30 minutes is a good average.

OK. That would mean, I never noticed, just wondering why the gorram MAVs won't lock ;)

Good to know its 30min. So for longer missions with long approach better use the automatic settings from the DSMS' >MSL menu...

Shagrat

OK. That would mean, I never noticed, just wondering why the gorram MAVs won't lock ;)

Good to know its 30min. So for longer missions with long approach better use the automatic settings from the DSMS' >MSL menu...

Just don't turn your Mavs on until approx 2 minutes before you plan to use them.

I most often forget that, may be notice on fence in, which is too late most of the time ... I recently had a look into the auto timer options and LOC mode is quite the thing, if you have a flight plan. Alternative is the timer if you know the rough time until you are on station and set it accordingly.

In game it seems to take about 3min for the MAV seeker to align and get ready.

Again thanks for the exact time frame.

Shagrat

SAS workings

Often when I fire the gun, the recoil tips the plane's nose up.

• SAS is on
  • I give a 1 second first stage trigger press to acquire stabilization
  • I do feel the stabilization process is in effect, but as soon as I fire, the nose pitches up

Does the gun shooting stabilization require a certain IAS to work? A minimum dive angle? I've also read something about using air brakes in conjuction with SAS...

I've also at times had the system work well, with pipper stabilized while rounds firing. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I'm hog newbie myself, so there might be better people to give advice but...

I think you're too fast and PAC just can't compensate anymore. I had the same problem when I was too fast during the high angle dives, but since I started watching my speed more, not anymore.

Edited by GeorgeLKMT

since I started watching my speed more, not anymore.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

But, what would you call too fast?

I can't remember my diving speed for sure, but when diving, you can't stay under, say, 220 knots for very long, I guess.