DCS A-10C QUESTIONS

Peyoteros

Hmm, I mainly rely on the HUD because of the FPM. Landings just get so easy with that.

EDIT: Ok I just noticed that every time I go to park after landing my speedbrakes are always fully extracted. I'm pretty sure I'm not enabling them by accident, is this automatic?

It is "good form" to raise flaps and close speed brakes once clear of the runway....but not "required" ( I checked the Dash 1 thinking it was "procedure" but didn't find it anyplace. Perhaps 11-2a-10C Vol.3?) and ALWAYS taxi with your canopy open...

For the Cool Points :thumbup:

Sierra 99

Edited by Sierra99

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

It is "good form" to raise flaps and close speed brakes once clear of the runway....but not "required" ( I checked the Dash 1 thinking it was "procedure" but didn't find it anyplace. Perhaps 11-2a-10C Vol.3?) and ALWAYS taxi with your canopy open...

For the Cool Points :thumbup:

Sierra 99

Yup nothing in the -1 but normal ops is to close speed brakes and raise flaps once clear of the runway.

Then when turning into the spot most pilots open speed brakes and lower flaps, it's part of our -6 recovery checklist to inspect. Some don't do it until we tell them, pilot preference.

Two quick questions:

- Is it normal for the overcast clouds seen from above to look, well, bad? Like obviously repeated textures, really grey toned and not "cloudy" in shape at all.

- How do you not overshoot the glidepath when turning on final using only the HSI as reference, using ILS? Even if I immediately do a high-G 90° turn I end up overshooting. I guess that a maximum-G turn may get me on the glidepath, but it doesn't seem right to require such a turn on final. The problem is the needle moves so fast (since ILS precision on the HSI is very high) I can't seem to find the time to turn.

Edited by Gliptal

Re. ILS, I've never found the CDI motion of the HSI to be too fast to turn onto final with a normal 30' bank turn (assuming something like no more than 90' offset). Perhaps you have the HSI set to the wrong course? I think that'll change its behavior considerably.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

Two quick questions:

- Is it normal for the overcast clouds seen from above to look, well, bad? Like obviously repeated textures, really grey toned and not "cloudy" in shape at all.

- How do you not overshoot the glidepath when turning on final using only the HSI as reference, using ILS? Even if I immediately do a high-G 90° turn I end up overshooting. I guess that a maximum-G turn may get me on the glidepath, but it doesn't seem right to require such a turn on final. The problem is the needle moves so fast (since ILS precision on the HSI is very high) I can't seem to find the time to turn.

Your ILS intercept angle is too high. Anything between 15 and 40 degrees is acceptable, with about 30 degrees being normal. Ergo if your inbound course is 295, intercept the localiser between 255 and 335, with the ideal being between 265 and 325.

Your ILS intercept angle is too high. Anything between 15 and 40 degrees is acceptable, with about 30 degrees being normal. Ergo if your inbound course is 295, intercept the localiser between 255 and 335, with the ideal being between 265 and 325.
Thanks. I thought it was pretty much convention that you should always apporach final from a 90 degrees angle (as in the base leg traffic pattern).

Thanks. I thought it was pretty much convention that you should always apporach final from a 90 degrees angle (as in the base leg traffic pattern).

In the visual traffic pattern, yes, but as you've identified, it's nigh on impossible to safely establish onto a localiser at a 90 degree intercept. It's damned hard in a jet that can turn on a dime, let alone in a hog. Consider that your average commercial airliner will be doing something in the region of 180 knots at intercept - you really don't have long to react!

Hey don't sweat it. Where do you think I got my signature from?

By thinking in much the same way I do!

So here's a question from me; sadly I don't have a track as I'm writing from work, but I think I can remember most of what happened.

I set up on the Op BlueFlag server last night, loaded armaments, started APU and ran through my start up. Whilst waiting for my engines to spool, and probably before INS alignment had finished, I went to TAD and tried to create a markpoint over Gudauta. It didn't fail, but took the CDU off of the align page.

On takeoff, because I don't have TrackIR I was trying to slew around with the numpad and managed to click a switch. Alarms start going off and I realise I've turned CICU off. I restarted it, and when TAD came back I tried to set the markpoint as SPI - it simply wouldn't set. I tried an airborne re-align of INS, tried creating a new markpoint, damn near everything - I simply couldn't get a SPI set from TAD. I know the shortcut is working, as I could set SPI from TGP and slave my Mavs' to SPI, so the functionality works. I did realise later into the flight that the two switches under my throttle were in the 'off' position, but this made literally no difference.

Any ideas?

By thinking in much the same way I do!

So here's a question from me; sadly I don't have a track as I'm writing from work, but I think I can remember most of what happened.

I set up on the Op BlueFlag server last night, loaded armaments, started APU and ran through my start up. Whilst waiting for my engines to spool, and probably before INS alignment had finished, I went to TAD and tried to create a markpoint over Gudauta. It didn't fail, but took the CDU off of the align page.

On takeoff, because I don't have TrackIR I was trying to slew around with the numpad and managed to click a switch. Alarms start going off and I realise I've turned CICU off. I restarted it, and when TAD came back I tried to set the markpoint as SPI - it simply wouldn't set. I tried an airborne re-align of INS, tried creating a new markpoint, damn near everything - I simply couldn't get a SPI set from TAD. I know the shortcut is working, as I could set SPI from TGP and slave my Mavs' to SPI, so the functionality works. I did realise later into the flight that the two switches under my throttle were in the 'off' position, but this made literally no difference.

Any ideas?

I don't know what the exact consequences of an aborted INS alignment is (either real aircraft or in the game), but it sounds like that might have caused the problems. Have you tried to realign (in-flight alignement)? Maybe that will fix it.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Hard to guess at TAD SPI issues. Did you try reloading the TAD in the Load page? Did you try resetting SPI to Steer? Being no expert on the logic of the systems its hard to understand the issue since you're starting from a position of making an error that messes with the typical logic I'm accustomed to (ie. the everything is working fine logic).

Re. George's question, you can safely ignore them. I have never touched them and understand them to be unrelated to what you as a pilot need to worry about with respect to putting iron on Ruskie.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

QG - I tried an in flight alignment and hit EGI under the stick after I'd done so - no change.

Funk - There were a number of occasions where I tried to set SPI and a white 'NO SPI' flag came up in the corner of TAD, so I know it was 'unset' and I couldn't reset it. I didn't consider re-loading, but actually this sort of makes sense I think... I suppose I can try to break it again tonight and see what happens.

Re. George's question, you can safely ignore them. I have never touched them and understand them to be unrelated to what you as a pilot need to worry about with respect to putting iron on Ruskie.

Alright! I guess if it was an importnant setting, I would already read about it somewhere in more detail... :)

Don't think there is, but nobody will stop you from posting one in the A-10C forum :) in fact, I think people will happily comment, though don't think you should post one long video but divide them into different actions you take, it will be easier for others to comment. You can also post tracks for people to see things and be able to check different angles, cockpit instruments etc.

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

Am I missing something entirely ...

Perhaps, the wings.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Perhaps, the wings.
Nope, they were there.

Simply applying trim with gears down acts like I'm applying rudder. Either this is an effect of trim due to the low speeds, or rudders are indeed being trimmed.

EDIT: Damn I completely botched the post above, I didn't write it was happening with the landing gear down.

Can't say I have ever trimmed it with the gear down.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup: