DCS A-10C QUESTIONS

Peyoteros

the game uninstalls itself

to be honest i have no idea as i've never done it. the other thing i'm not sure about is what if you have 4 pods, will it fire 4 per release interval if set to RIP PRS?

never tried that either as i don't use rockets much on the A-10 (though that changed recently since i 'adjusted' the damage they do)

Cool! How did you adjust, and - assuming you've increased effectiveness/damage effect -, what did you base the amount of your adjustment on?

it's nothing scientific. there was a warhead mod on the mods subforum that increased bomb damages; i'm not some sort of explosives expert. i just set them to be twice as powerful

i don't think the explosion modeling in the game is necessarily wrong, but the lack of a shrapnel model and the rather basic damage modeling (too binary) ends up meaning that even relatively close strikes by multiple rockets doesn't really end up disabling even light vehicles.

the warhead mod turns up the damage of most high explosive bombs and i just increased the damage of rockets by about the same amount.

i'm having way more fun with very simple iron bombs now; the mk82 actually feels powerful (keep in mind this thing has about 480 lb. of high explosive) and all of it's PGM children are more lethal too.

rockets are still ineffective against tanks, but against what they should be good against (trucks, infantry without cover, zu-23, very light armor like BTR-80 / BMP-1) they are actually effective against now.

I'm pretty sure if you set RPL QTY to 2 with RPL PAIRS it will fire 4 rockets, not 2.

Well that's what I tought too... with ripple quantity you set the number of "singles" for RPL SGL or the number of "pairs" for RPL PRS released. This also solves my previous question about odd numbers set for quantity. :huh:

i'm having way more fun with very simple iron bombs now; the mk82 actually feels powerful (keep in mind this thing has about 480 lb. of high explosive) and all of it's PGM children are more lethal too.

rockets are still ineffective against tanks, but against what they should be good against (trucks, infantry without cover, zu-23, very light armor like BTR-80 / BMP-1) they are actually effective against now.

Well not to argue, but I don't think a 500 lbs nominal gross weight (max. 570) bomb could be expected to contain anywhere near 480 lbs of explosive. What about the bomb body/hull then, if it's not made of paper :D? Wiki says it's rather 192 lbs. of explosive. The Hydra M-151 has 8.7 lbs of warhead, which is about 4% of the Mk-82s 192 lbs. So just asking, are we sure that mod is realistic reg. RL effect? For sure more rewarding to play, but... :huh:

the game doesn't model shrapnel or shock at all, nor does it model crew effects on vehicles, or any sort of subsystem damage

tl;dr most of them are undermodeled, maybe the russian rockets less so (they seem fairly potent)

until it is, realism takes a back seat to the weapons actually being useful

of course you're free to keep using the useless rockets if you want, that's why it's a mod :^)

edit: i should say that i'm not sure where i got that figure. it might have been shrapnel + HE weight instead. i'll look around a little bit and see if i can't find a figure that is how heavy the 'skin' of the bomb is.

anyway, 500 lb. bombs are nothing to screw with. failing to kill trucks with relatively close hits is super weird.

Edited by Cik

I dream of the day we have mobility kills and Firepower kills, they can shoot my Gau 8 out i want to shoot out their targeting systems and disable their engines and or tracks. Russian rockets are pretty good in my experience in the ka50

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

IMO the realism argument doesn't really hold water until that sort of thing is fixed.

for tanks it's not terrible as it is; they tend to explode when hit by heavy weapons (well, the modern ones less so) but trucks, open-topped guns (zu-23 i'm looking at you) infantry are way too survivable against light HE weapons.

it seems like everything where the crew is exposed is way more survivable than it has any right to be. BMP2+ where LAV/tanks actually start to gain armor work out okay, though.

Hi, I hope this is where I can ask quick general questions?

I am going through learning the start-up procedure, and can't figure out why the EAC switch doesn't work for me. If I try to flip it, it just flips right back and does not stay on. What would cause it to behave like that?

Hi, I hope this is where I can ask quick general questions?

I am going through learning the start-up procedure, and can't figure out why the EAC switch doesn't work for me. If I try to flip it, it just flips right back and does not stay on. What would cause it to behave like that?

It needs INS and EGI to work. So you need the INS aligned and switched to NAV mode and you need to select EGI as the navigation source with the button behind the stick.

It doesn't work in degraded/in-flight alignment mode of the INS (neither does EGI, I think), so you have to wait for alignment and switch to NAV before moving the plane.

Screen choppy with TGP & Mav displayed

With TAD (Left MFCD) and CDU (Right MFCD) selected I have a very smooth screen flow; very realistic.

But if I have TGP selected (Right MFCD) the screen flow becomes choppier.

When I put TGP on the L MFCD and Mav on the R MFCD it is extremely choppy and visually disturbing. I really can't even follow the landscape when looking out of the cockpit.

I have a MSI Radeon HD 6950 DirectX 11 R6950 Twin Frozr II video card and a new Asus H81 Gamer MOBO (16Gb) with 480Gb SSD.

Does this sound reasonable with the setup I have? Are there some DCS settings I need to look at?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC

So what does the rope do that appears to be holding down the front dash?

It is/was used to lock/store maps and flight plans in place while flying...

There were some nice photos, showing a bunch of maps stacked in there.

Like this for example:

2129059.jpg

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Thanks Shagrat .... next question :)

Why does my jammer activate for about 10 seconds and then go back to STBY? Here is the situation:

-sa-6 straight ahead about 18nm

-enter manual mode and activate jammer

-jammer is operating for 10 seconds and then goes back to standby

This happens whether i am being tracked/locked or not.

In the F-15 when you activate the jammer, it stays activated.

Check out my 'real world'

video series

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks Shagrat .... next question :)

Why does my jammer activate for about 10 seconds and then go back to STBY? Here is the situation:

-sa-6 straight ahead about 18nm

-enter manual mode and activate jammer

-jammer is operating for 10 seconds and then goes back to standby

This happens whether i am being tracked/locked or not.

In the F-15 when you activate the jammer, it stays activated.

Overheating protection, I guess?

The jammer burns a lot of radar energy and gets quite hot.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I would think so, the A-10C you can use on both 2.0 (NTTR) and 1.5 (caucasus), the only thing in the bundle requiring NTTR is the campaign.

The A-10C works in both 1.5 (Release/Beta) and 2.0 (Alpha). The campaign takes place on the NTTR, so obviously it needs that map installed, which requires the 2.0 Alpha. ;)

ASUS Z170-P w/ Intel i7-7700, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSDs out the wazoo and a GTX 1080Ti,

Oculus Rift CV1, TM Warthog stick and throttle, TM Cougar MFDs, MFG Crosswind pedals and WheelStandPro Warthog (w/ the custom small Warthog plate)

Former F-16 Ground Crew @ RNoAF

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is there any possibility of making the HUD font larger? It's a bit hard for my old eyes to view some of the numbers, especially the ones by the compass bar.

I use this mod. Works like a charm!

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=95797

It sounds like I have the same issue as you do. I'm only 36, but I don't have great eyesight (though my glasses help a lot).

ASUS Z170-P w/ Intel i7-7700, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSDs out the wazoo and a GTX 1080Ti,

Oculus Rift CV1, TM Warthog stick and throttle, TM Cougar MFDs, MFG Crosswind pedals and WheelStandPro Warthog (w/ the custom small Warthog plate)

Former F-16 Ground Crew @ RNoAF

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Can anyone suggest a method how to bind a slider control on my X52 Throttle to the speed break? Is that possible? If I try in the game, there is no axis control for the speed break, is there any clever way to use the X52 programming profile to accomplish something like that?

Can anyone suggest a method how to bind a slider control on my X52 Throttle to the speed break? Is that possible? If I try in the game, there is no axis control for the speed break, is there any clever way to use the X52 programming profile to accomplish something like that?

Yes, just set the slider to "bands", then you can assign keys to the full up and full down position to open and close the speedbrakes

aka: Baron

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes, just set the slider to "bands", then you can assign keys to the full up and full down position to open and close the speedbrakes

Yup, just make sure you assign simple commands or keystrokes to those slider bands as if you would hold the Air brakes extend / retract keys down. Because it moves the brake surfaces only as long you press the keys. This is in order to be able to open or close them partially, if you need less than full...

Same way you can make rotaries to boat switch or china hat switch. Actually I have china hat switch on my slider, boat switch (or pinky with latch) on the biger one (center button is center boat / pinky switch), and air brake on the smaller rotary...