DCS A-10C QUESTIONS

Peyoteros

My question is: Where do I start? There's so many parts to this plane that it's overwhelming. I've come up with a list of things to learn, but what should I add to it?

Some further topics to consider:

- Formation flying, different types of formation (works best in MP)

- Aerial refueling

- Emergency procedures (Engine failure, engine restart, single engine operation, flameout landing, hydraulics failure, electrics failure, avionics failure)

- Understanding MGRS

- Creating waypoints on the fly (Lat/Long, MGRS, Offset), creating flight plans

- Night time flying, bad weather flying (easily combined with TACAN and ILS)

- SOI/SPI, Sensors, TGP, employment without TGP, using Mav as "poor man's TGP"

- Datalink/SADL

- Weapon Employment

-- Gun

-- Unguided weapons (bombs, rockets)

-- Guided weapons

---- Laser guided (GBU-12 family)

------ Buddy lasing via wingman and JTAC

---- GPS-Guided (GBU-38 family, CBU-105 family)

---- TV/IR guided (Maverick) (Laser guided Maverick not available in DCS)

-- Air-to-air missiles, air-to-air gun

- BFM, air-to-air employment

- Aerobatics

- Working with JTACs, 9-line

- Radio comms/brevity (works best with other humans in MP)

Personally, I'm kind of the lone wolf type of player. I've learned a whole lot about the A-10C on my own by watching videos, reading the manual, reading the forums and asking questions.

I recently joined a newly formed squad and my learning experience has sped up tremendously (and I started learning and flying the aircraft all the way back when it was in public Beta :smartass:); flying together with like-minded players really is the best thing you can do in DCS. I've met great people from all over the globe. This is a great community and many people are willing to share their knowledge with newcomers, give first hand advice, teach important lessons and concepts, clear up misconceptions and correct mistakes and errors before they develop into really bad habits.

I guess the single most important piece of advice is that the learning never ends. Always keep an open mind and be ready to learn new stuff every day. :thumbup:

One question about mavericks. Plz keep in mind that I dont have a10c (I'll be getting it in a week) and have read the manual quite a bit and have watched many tutorial videos.

My question is about this video:

So at 2:30, the maverick was locked on.

At 2:47 at 2:53 and at 2:58 the other mavericks lock on.

The only difference is that at 2:30 with the first mav, the horizontal and vertical lines on the screen don't intersect to make a cross. But with the other 3, you get a cross on the screen...why is that? Thanks

Also, I don't understand something that I've read in the manual. On page 569 under Maverick Use, there's a picture with the caption "Figure 461. Maverick in Weapon Mode, No Track".

On the next page, there's another picture, the bottom one, that's labeled "Figure 463. Maverick in Weapon Mode, Tracking".

I see no difference between the two pictures, Tracking and Not Tracking. Someone plz take out a second to explain this to me.

One question about mavericks. Plz keep in mind that I dont have a10c (I'll be getting it in a week) and have read the manual quite a bit and have watched many tutorial videos.

The only difference is that at 2:30 with the first mav, the horizontal and vertical lines on the screen don't intersect to make a cross. But with the other 3, you get a cross on the screen...why is that? Thanks

Don't worry too much about this. You'll know your mav is locked when the cross uncages ( I think this is the right word) from where it typically is on the screen. You can see it oscillate rapidly when locked. I typically press lock then fire, back and fourth until the mav actually fires. Which fires it as soon as I have a good lock, and not before. However to answer your question, the size of the gap in the cross when the mav is locked indicates how big of target the mav is locked too. I've locked up bunkers before and the gap is as wide as the bunker is on my screen. A smaller target will have a smaller gap. Now understand when I say target I don't mean the target you're shooting at, I mean the mav's target. The mav might lock the whole tank, or the mav might lock part of the tank. The missile doesn't know what it is you're shooting at (But the CBU-97's BLU-108's do. But that's a different post) so it see's something lighter or darker than the background and locks it. At least this is my guess, I'm no expert.

Light the tires kick the fires!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Also, I don't understand something that I've read in the manual. On page 569 under Maverick Use, there's a picture with the caption "Figure 461. Maverick in Weapon Mode, No Track".

On the next page, there's another picture, the bottom one, that's labeled "Figure 463. Maverick in Weapon Mode, Tracking".

I see no difference between the two pictures, Tracking and Not Tracking. Someone plz take out a second to explain this to me.

I think the main difference is explained in the text below it - the 'Pointing Cross' (+ symbol which indicates the Maverick seeker's position) flashes/blinks when it has a target locked.

Also if I recall correctly (been a while), the tracking gate tends to sort of shimmer or wobble once a target is locked. It's a bit hard to explain but it's pretty clear when you actually see it 'live', but not really something a screenshot can represent. You can see it in the video you linked at 2:30.

Maybe you have already been answered, I am not reading everything..

In "normal" conditions you know you get a maverick lock when the big cross behaves strangely (as seen in the video) and the smaller one starts to blink. It may sound difficoult but it is easy when you will try it

The other mode is "force correlate mode" this afaik, is possible to every maverick type but the D version. Instead of explaining how it works, I will reccomend you to practice with normal locks and then look for a force correlate tutorial. In simple words you just "force" the maverick to lock on a specific point to the ground

| A-10C | MiG-21bis | Hawk T1.A | L-39 Albatros | F-5E | Ka-50 | Mi-8 | NTTR | CA | SU27 | M2000C | F-86F | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Mig 15 | Mig 19|

Specs

Intel i7-9700k

msi GTX 2060 Gaming Z

msi Z390 Gaming PLUS

16gb RAM

Hotas Warthog

The other mode is "force correlate mode" this afaik, is possible to every maverick type but the D version. Instead of explaining how it works, I will reccomend you to practice with normal locks and then look for a force correlate tutorial. In simple words you just "force" the maverick to lock on a specific point to the ground

Yep. It tries to fly towards the pixel in the center of the crosshair.

Used when you can't lock a target or when you need to hit a particular point on a large target. It's about as accurate as iron bombs IRL.

Edited by Pocket Sized

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

Can the A10's MWS detect IR guided missile launches?

It should detect all missiles, even mavericks.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Thx, is this the same with FC3 planes as well like the F15?

No

to clarify, only A10C has the MWS modeled in DCS AFAIK.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Pretty sure the FC3 planes can detect IR launches. Infact I know they can because people have launched manpads, heaters, and strelas at me.

If you or the server have "radio assists" on you will hear a spoken warning ("missile: 3 o clock low") which isn't the case on any real aircraft.

The A-10C is the only aircraft with an IR missile launch detector and will be for the foreseeable future assuming the mirage doesn't get one.

Edited by Pocket Sized

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

If I got a fuel leak in one of the fuel tanks, what should I do?

If, for example, the left wing tank has a visible leak, should I turn off all the other boost pumps except the one leaking to use the fuel up instead of letting it all leak out?

If there is fuel leak on one of the tanks, is there any way to isolate it? Will it suck fuel from other tanks and leak them?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]All my liveries

Does the ADF on the UHF and VHF/FM work on the A-10C? Some forums say they work and others say they don't work.

UHF-ADF mode works for sure, but for a needle to be steady you need a constant signal received through UHF. It's quite easy to test it out. Contact tower on UHF freq and after that switch UHF radio to ADF mode. When tower responds you will see bearing pointer move on HSI.