DCS A-10C QUESTIONS

Peyoteros

@Outlaw: Never seen that. Sounds to it’s time for a repair.

Custom Pit 476 Recruiting

i9-12900KF, 32 GB DDR5, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti, 1TB Sabrent Roket 4+ 2x750GB RAID-0, TrackIR 5 /w clip, CRG9 49” Curved Ultrawide Flight Display+15" Touchscreen+17" Gauges display, Thrustmaster Warthog+7.5cm, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, Streamdeck, Butt Kicker and pneumatic G-Seat

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20220716.png

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20221002.png

• 3 months later...
7 hours ago, Halandar said:

Question: Do the LASTE configuration (windcorreciton stuff) influence CCRP for GBU-105/103 ?

For the bomb: yes, the wind correction should have an impact (as much as with any other bomb in CCRP).

For the submunitions: no.

So the lower the HOF is set to, the less drift the submunitions will have, especially for the CBU-105.

But even with the lowest HOF setting, DCS will not account for drift of the submunitions. I don't know whether that's correctly modeling the real life counterpart or whether it's an oversight in DCS.

The CBU-103 (and CBU-87) have been known to cause relatively little damage because some of the weapon effects are not modeled in depth, so while wind probably doesn't have that much effect on it, its low overall damage won't help.

7 hours ago, Halandar said:

If not, why not? 😄

Man if only I knew the answer to that one. 😉

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Halandar said:

Couldnt make GBU-105 hit the target in higher winds 😕

As Yurgon explained very well, the submunitions do not account for wind. You need to manually correct that by butting your SPI upwind of the target. It takes a bit of experience to know how far away from the target you need to aim at different wind speeds though, so that the submunitions get carried by the wind onto the target.

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

10 hours ago, QuiGon said:

As Yurgon explained very well, the submunitions do not account for wind. You need to manually correct that by butting your SPI upwind of the target. It takes a bit of experience to know how far away from the target you need to aim at different wind speeds though, so that the submunitions get carried by the wind onto the target.

The WCMD is given the wind conditions over 1760 interface prior to release. This causes the canister to fly upwind of the designated target in a manner that the submunitions should arrive at the given target location (downwind). It's just not modeled in DCS.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Frederf said:

The WCMD is given the wind conditions over 1760 interface prior to release. This causes the canister to fly upwind of the designated target in a manner that the submunitions should arrive at the given target location (downwind). It's just not modeled in DCS.

Yeah, in DCS you have to aim upwind manually.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 3/15/2021 at 2:58 AM, cms2525 said:

I have an Oculus rift and I cannot get the controllers to work with the thrust controllers and the yolk is there something I am missing. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Can you be more specific?

On 3/18/2021 at 11:32 AM, StevanJ said:

Can you be more specific?

What happens is when I grab on to the yolk with the rift controller the yoke slowly pulls back and to the left I cannot push the yoke forward but I can move it very slowly to the right and left the thrust controllers I can grab onto but cannot push forward. I also have the Huey and when I grab a hold of the yolk on the Huey it works just fine moves back and forth up and down side to side perfectly only having a problem with the a-10 warthog even the plane that comes with DCS Free works

Edited by cms2525

11 minutes ago, cms2525 said:

What happens is when I grab on to the yolk with the rift controller the yoke slowly pulls back and to the left I cannot push the yoke forward but I can move it very slowly to the right and left the thrust controllers I can grab onto but cannot push forward. I also have the Huey and when I grab a hold of the yolk on the Huey it works just fine moves back and forth up and down side to side perfectly only having a problem with the a-10 warthog even the plane that comes with DCS Free works

Yeah its bugged right now, hopefully itll be fixed on the 27th, if you want a more specific answer youll have to start a post on the bug page.

That's what I thought but wasn't sure thanks for the info

2 hours ago, StevanJ said:

Yeah its bugged right now, hopefully itll be fixed on the 27th, if you want a more specific answer youll have to start a post on the bug page.

• 1 month later...
On 2/9/2021 at 8:48 PM, Halandar said:

Question: Do the LASTE configuration (windcorreciton stuff) influence CCRP for GBU-105/103 ?

If not, why not? 😄

From my experience the CBU 97 works exceptionally well with the LASTE.  If you place a SPI in the middle of a group of vehicles, lower the HOF to 900 and engage the LASTE for 'BOTH' you will see that no matter where you fly in from and whatever height you will get a very good destructive shot.

Also, when you set the LASTE to BOTH use the MFCD to switch it allowing you to see how the HUD indicators change to suit your dir and height, depending on the wind.

Try it at default HOF, Lowered HOF, lowered HOF with LASTE on both and watch the difference, it really does work.

On 2/9/2021 at 9:48 PM, Halandar said:

If not, why not? 😄

Guidance can make "wind corrections" only as long the GBU is falling through the sky, and can make it open up at the point, where the little submunitions would be right over the target (at the altitude you've set it up). After the submunitions disperse, and are descending on small parachutes, there is no way anything could guide the submunitions onto the target, "against" the wind. So actually you need to Kentucky windage and offset your aiming point upwind (depending on opening height set by you), then considering surface wind direction and strength so much, that after opening, the wind blows the submunitions under parachutes over the targets by the time they blow up and start to seek for targets.

Edited by Razor18

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, christianholmes said:

What is the button on the top of the A-10 Landing Gear knob for?

It actually looks as if there's a button on top of the lollipop handle, but the manual doesn't mention a button there, and I've never heard of there being a button.

My guess is it's not actually a button, probably just part of the handle assembly. A wild guess would be that it could be used to take off the transparent cover when the landing gear in operation light doesn't work.

• Like 2

It looks from photos that the cylinder is the part of the handle grip which is red. The tire-shaped part is clear and I assume a white bulb is used.

This old photo of an A-10A shows clearly a red colored "pill" https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/95/Fairchild_Republic_A-10A_Thunderbolt_II_cockpit_2_USAF.jpg

While a newer A-10C photo isn't clearly red colored. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a1/A-10C_Warthog_Cockpit.jpg https://i.imgur.com/MdGITQy.jpeg

It's possible the handle was changed to contain a red LED instead of a bulb and the colored plastic filter was no longer necessary to achieve the color from a white bulb. The cylinder itself looks to be a method to contain and service the light element.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, AvgeekJoe said:

How do I scale the HUD so all the data fits on there - right now having some data run off the page?

Thanks!

You don't. You have to adjust your head position. I also lower the seat height a bit as part of my startup procedure for this very purpose.

• Like 1

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi. I am having trouble uncaging the side winder cueing reticle in air to air mode. . I go into air to air mode press TMS short and nothing happens.  The cueing reticle stays caged.  Is there something else that i am supposed to do that I am not doing. I watched all the videos and and I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. Thanks.

2 hours ago, Orestd said:

I go into air to air mode press TMS short and nothing happens.

You didn't say which direction. 😉

Just tested it, TMS Forward Short does put the Sidewinder seeker into a conical scan pattern for me, both A-10C and A-10C II, in the current DCS 2.7.9.

TMS forward commands scan which can self-track from a scan pattern around boresight but isn't uncaged. Genuine uncage is china hat forward (short) which will self-track if it comes across a valid signature or it can wander away to the sun. Most of the time you want the scan pattern (and changing the home position of the boresight changes the circle) as true uncaged that wasn't due to threshold triggering isn't so great 99% of the time.

The manual actually says TMS forward the first time doesn't engage the scan, simply enables slewing, and the second TMS forward initiates the scan. I'm not sure if that's actually the case.

9 hours ago, Orestd said:

Hi. I am having trouble uncaging the side winder cueing reticle in air to air mode. . I go into air to air mode press TMS short and nothing happens.  The cueing reticle stays caged.  Is there something else that i am supposed to do that I am not doing. I watched all the videos and and I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. Thanks.

Make sure your HUD is SOI (small * in the upper left corner of the HUD), when pressing TMS UP SHORT to uncage the Sidewinder seeker.

Edited by QuiGon

Tornado3 small.jpg