DCS A-10C QUESTIONS

Peyoteros

+1 Ralfi

and i am quite shure, you have the required stamina :thumbup:

regards Ganesh

She: "Your orders from ED have reached a total amount of $871,88 and your hardware expenses are countless..."
Me: "I can´t invest my money much better until i wait for Germanys Next Top Model": The
Bo-105 PAH1A1

+ Vulkan & continuous work on multithread & VR optimization!

Asus Z490E - 10900k@5,3GHz - 64GB 3600 DDR4 - 4090FE - Reverb G2 - MFG Crosswinds +DamperMod - Selfmade TableMounts - Centered VirPil T-50 Base with 20cm Extension - TM Warthog & Hornet Grip - TM Throttle +SlewMod - Pimped MSFFB2 for Huey - JetSeat SE on a sawn out office Chair - PointCTRL

I have tried running this test, but I cannot in good consciousness release the data, wayyyy too many errors.

97s are goddamn impossible to hit a square box area accurately at all (no winds). I had to resort to 105s which would hit the center quite nicely.

However I observed obnoxious behavior by the skeets. Mainly they were SEVERELY inconsistent (I expected randomness due to the skeets flying off in all directions, but not anything above 30-40% error). I would do the test 4 times for each HOF to get a nice average however the difference between them was vast. On one run I got 0 hits in comparison to the other runs where I got three for that particular HOF setting.

The main problem I have seen is that the Skeets would deploy to hit a tank and miss. One such pass had about 8 holes NEXT to the non mobile tanks but not a single skeet hit it's target. It appears that the skeet hit average is below 50% at times. The other skeet problem is that the ones that actually DO hit, don't kill the tank, it drives off, or it just never registers that it got hit. THen the next problem with them is that too many skeets are hitting the same target, sometimes up to 6 skeets per tank.

I set up 64 tanks in three configurations.

Set 1, box T-72 configuration, spacing at 50 feet (to replicate a tight cluster of vehicles), even at 500 HOF, only 2 kills with about 3-4 misses of deployed skeets (so it would have been 5-6 kills if the other skeets actually hit the tank they went after). Higher HOFs varied but I stopped after a while since it all went to hell with skeets missing.

Set 2, box T-72 configuration, spacing 200 feet (to replicate a more scattered group of vehicles), same results with skeets missing and getting only a few kills in certain runs.

Set 3, line formation of T-72s, spacing 100 feet. Same amount of kills and misses.

Somebody needs to confirm if the misses from the fired off skeets (the skeets that have acquired a lock on a target, not the skeets that have not detected a tank and either self destructed or fallen to the ground disarmed) are supposed to be this high or at all. 50% miss of locked on skeets seems rather high for a non mobile tank.

In the following pictures, there were only 2 tanks destroyed, the blank spots are the tanks that drove off after getting hit by a skeet still perfectly intact:

Here you will see that a LOT of skeets are hitting the same exact target, about 6 skeets to one tank, as well as skeets that have impact craters on top of tank positions, but did not kill the tank, instead the tank drove off.

group2-3_zps49c64b4f.jpg

group2-2_zps469170f8.jpg

group1-2_zpsd3af0c49.jpg

group2_zps8150e262.jpg

Then there are DIRECT HITS to tanks that are not registering at all, you can see that there is a SKEET impact crater underneath the engine of this 72, this happens A LOT:

cfb_zps3caff5cc.png

These pictures were of the convoys with a much higher HOF, 2600, and there were absolutely 0 kills. All the skeets apparently missed, yet you can see that some of the impact craters are directly underneath the tanks, it makes no sense.

group3-2_zps8804a248.jpg

group3-1_zps10c6def0.jpg

group3_zps9b1bf5ec.jpg

Should I move this to the bug section or.....?

Edited by ralfidude
  • Like 1

cfb_zps3caff5cc.png

It might be a graphical glitch, but in that one it looks like you've tracked him..... Without a computer with CA nearby I can't experiment, but could that tank still move?

I didn't think CA represented manoeuvre kills, but from zooming in it definitely seems that a few of those near hits are having some effect, although I'm not sure if it's intentional.

Per Ardua Ad Aquarium :drink:

Specs: Intel i7-9700K, GTX 2080TI, 32GB DDR4, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E, Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2

That looks more like a z fighting issue.

But wouldn't the z-fighting be limited only to the bottom of the tracks (which are near co-planar to the ground) rather than the section of track which is raised off the ground and around the drive wheel?

Per Ardua Ad Aquarium :drink:

Specs: Intel i7-9700K, GTX 2080TI, 32GB DDR4, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E, Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2

Seems like we've opened a can of worms here. And I thought I'd just like to have an idea of how each CBU works at various HOFs and RPMs.

Though I did also notice that there was a drastic change in the CBU performance over the months as patches went in.

Back in May; right about the time I started flying the A-10; I was reasonably killing at least 6 tanks at 700 HOF with a CBU-97 with a dispersal similar to that of set 2 in your scenarios.

Then I stopped playing DCS for a while. When I came back about two months ago; seems that my 'blanket setting' for HOFs with the CBU-97 doesn't seem to be working as effectively as before.

But wouldn't the z-fighting be limited only to the bottom of the tracks (which are near co-planar to the ground) rather than the section of track which is raised off the ground and around the drive wheel?

As you can see, the crater texture is consistently rendered in front of the track, so no. :)

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

I am not familiar with this term. What does it mean?

In this case it means that the graphics engine thinks that the crater texture is in front on the track, thus obscuring it, while really the track is in front of the crater texture.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

In this case it means that the graphics engine thinks that the crater texture is in front on the track, thus obscuring it, while really the track is in front of the crater texture.

Allright. But wouldn't that be only a visual glitch? If the z-coordinate is mixed up so that it is not clear if the crater is on top of the track or the track on top of the crater - the x and y coordinate is the same.

I mean, if the track is on top of the crater, how could the skeet produce that crater without touching the track? Or vice versa: if the crater is on top of the track, the skeet should have hit the track as well, right? But as the tank didn't move, it seems it was actually not hit --> magic skeet?

About the skeets hitting the targets:

I saw what looks like direct hits on tanks when I slowed down the footage and the crater in the center of where that the tank used to be in, but the tank just drove off from the column.

So they are either hitting the tank and he doesn't give a damn, and just drives off (therefore not disabled, and you can see this in the last few screen shots, where I got no kills but you see a lot of missing tanks that drove off after the skeets exploded in their dead center), or they are missing by inches and it's not accurate at all.

Either way, I also remember the skeets being MUCH more accurate than this, something has gone haywire if I can't get more than 3 kills in a tight and loose column under different HOFs.

It might be worthwhile checking the health bar for the tanks that drove away in the F10 map. My general impression (coming back to the game after not playing it for some time) is that ground units are tougher than they used to be. Gun runs that I feel would've killed a unit previously are only damaging it now. Maybe something similar is occurring with skeets.

It's also possible that this particular scenario with a somewhat ridiculous amount of tanks is not something the game handles well, so it might be worth doing some tests with only 4 or so targets and see if the skeets exhibit the same 'gang up on one or two tanks' behaviour.

I had the same behaviour on spread out groups and line formation tanks which is basic in DCS formation.

Gun runs with mix ammo also has the same problem, skip to 5:50 here

That whole time I held the trigger down, there was a whole line of infantry there, not a single goddamn kill. What's more, is that Cat did the same exact gun run on the same exact column just before me.... It's all ****ed...

So I have no clue what's gong on with the hit detection but it's a bit wonky... Can we get DCS 1.1.1.1 back?

Speaking of gun runs....

Lately my gun performance have been dismal.

Same scenario as Set 2; I even went on an attack heading along the line of tanks. I only got a measly two kills after emptying the entire ammo drum.

Though on F10 view; I see a lot of tanks with a nearly empty health bar....

Still; I was under the impression that even a singe 30mm round can wreak havoc on a tank when placed properly... So a rain of them would devastate such tank nearly instantly.

Is it because they implemented some sort of 'health system' ? Or is collision now that bad ?

• 2 weeks later...
So how does one make the TGP track moving objects like vehicles ?

I've been pressing TMS Up Short repeatedly to no avail.

TMS Forward Up Short with TGP as SOI toggles between POINT and AREA tracking modes.

To quote the manual, these are the indications you'll find on the TGP:

Track mode. If the TGP is in a track mode, this field will indicate the track mode it is in. Types include:

• AREA. The TGP has been space stabilized on an overall scene, but is not tracking a specified object. If AREA track cannot be maintained due to aircraft masking, it reverts to INR-A mode and will return to the AREA track location if track can be reestablished by unmasking.

• POINT. The TGP has established a track on a specific object/target and is stabilized on it. It will continue tracking even if the target is moving. When tracking in POINT mode, a box is drawn around the edge of the object being tracked. The object does not need to be bounded and the box will not expand to encompass the entire object—it remains a fixed size. If the object cannot be tracked due to aircraft masking, it will revert to INR-P mode, but will return to the POINT track if track can be reestablished by unmasking.

• INR-A. If the TGP is tracking in AREA mode and is masked, Inertial Area (INR-A) is displayed. The TGP will attempt to re-track the area lost when the mask constraint has been eliminated.

• INR-P. If the TGP is tracking in POINT mode and is masked, Inertial Point (INR-P) is displayed. The TGP will attempt to re-track the point lost when the mask constraint has been eliminated.

• INR. When in Inertial (INR) mode, the TGP will remain fixed on a geographic reference point

Note that for tracking to work, you need POINT mode and the TGP must not be masked. AFAICT, target tracking works optically so the target must contrast the surrounding area sufficiently. You may have to switch between CCD and WHOT/BHOT modes in order to achieve a valid lock/track.

Edited by Yurgon
It's obviously TMS UP, not TMS Forward

I need USB screens for my Hogpit. The 8" Lilliput screens are nice but I need something cheaper that fits the Cougar MFD controllers with the image filling the entire frame. I got my 3.5" CDU screen for $26 :thumbup: but the screens for the MFD are really high. What's a good USB monitor to use for MFCDs?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Going back to the gun for the A-10....Is there anyway to go into the LUA and correct the settings for the over done dispersion settings on the GAU-8? The pattern is much much larger in the sim than it would be in reality...multiples larger. Could it be easily corrected?

How does the pattern look like for you in-game and how differs that from RL? Could you post a .trk file, video, or something for comparisation?

Going back to the gun for the A-10....Is there anyway to go into the LUA and correct the settings for the over done dispersion settings on the GAU-8? The pattern is much much larger in the sim than it would be in reality...multiples larger. Could it be easily corrected?

are you using PAC? I find the gau8 in the a10c to be extremelly precise when well used.