DCS A-10C QUESTIONS

Peyoteros

I have a different question regarding landing - today I made a approach with correct speed, however once I touched the ground I begun a bumpy and noisy run. After turning to F2 view, I found out that my front wheel got badly damaged. Now is that something random, or did I make a mistake, i.e. did not flare my Hog enough at the final part of approach? Whatever the reason, I got back to base safely :)

I always, always, always (always)* ease my nose down after touchdown to avoid this. If you just let it drop on its own it can pop. I don't know if its because of a bug in the ground handling in DCS (which is screwy) or if it varies by touchdown weight or rollout speed, but I never let it fall on its own. I ease it down. If you flared correctly the nose will always be high and need to come down. I don't think its remotely possible to touch down in a 3 point position without being at an excessively high (see suicidal) sink rate or a ridiculous approach speed.

If I ever neglect to ease it down I always wince in anticipation.

*always

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

Just now I am bombing the crap out of an airfield and no detonations again!!! So I F2 to see if maybe I do not have bombs on-board and lo and behold the plane is loaded with all blue weapons.This sim is hard enough to learn yet someone decided to load training bombs on my plane causing an even sharper learning curve.huh.gifIts taken me a week of training to learn that.:joystick::lol:

:megalol: ...at least they make small white smoke puffs!

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Even more wacky learning stuff today.Was using the GBU-12 and could not hit a thing with bomb hitting ground 25feet away from target.After 10 attempts I read online that its a laser guided bomb and rather easy to use.:thumbup:Now I am off to see if I can use it in CCIP mode,as it was initially setup,and fire laser at last moment to see if it guides it in.:P

"Its easy,place the pipper on target and bombs away." :pilotfly:

i7-8700k/GTX 1080ti/VKB-GladiatorPRO/VKB-T-rudder Pedals/Saitek X55 throttle

IMHO it doesn't make much sense to use CCIP with a guided bomb. It even sort of defeats the whole purpose, although it is generally possible.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

IMHO it doesn't make much sense to use CCIP with a guided bomb. It even sort of defeats the whole purpose, although it is generally possible.

It makes a great deal of sense in reality where thing such as blast patterns, frag patterns, and impact angles have to be considered. So much so that 45 degree high angle dive bomb is one of the standard delivery profiles loaded to the DSMS for GBU-12s when flying CAS ops.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

It makes a great deal of sense in reality where thing such as blast patterns, frag patterns, and impact angles have to be considered. So much so that 45 degree high angle dive bomb is one of the standard delivery profiles loaded to the DSMS for GBU-12s when flying CAS ops.

That brings me to question - is it connected with the escape maneveur that you can set up in the DSMS in game? Is this modeled somehow and if so - how does it work?

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

GBU-12 when dropped in CCIP falls from from the pipper though.Do I have to still turn the laser on to guide it?I tired last night but forgot how to even drop the GBU-12.doh.gif

GBU-12 when dropped in CCIP falls from from where u pickle the pipper though.Do I have to still turn the laser on to guide it?I tired last night but forgot how to even drop the GBU-12.doh.gif

Even more wacky learning stuff today.Was using the GBU-12 and could not hit a thing with bomb hitting ground 25feet away from target.After 10 attempts I read online that its a laser guided bomb and rather easy to use.:thumbup:Now I am off to see if I can use it in CCIP mode,as it was initially setup,and fire laser at last moment to see if it guides it in.:P

Try lasing 12-8 sec before impact. Counter on the HUD helps. Too early and you guide it short of target, especially when lasing a moving target. It's about the trajectory getting too shallow and the GBU loosing too much momentum to correct any further.

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Of course steeper angles in CCIP allow for shorter lasing time.

Shagrat

Try lasing 12-8 sec before impact. Counter on the HUD helps. Too early and you guide it short of target, especially when lasing a moving target. It's about the trajectory getting too shallow and the GBU loosing too much momentum to correct any further.

I have the laser guided missles down but OMG the unguided bombs are rough.Amazing how hard it really is to just drop a bomb. I am finding CCIP bombing a bitch...."place the pipper on target and bombs away".megalol.gifNot for certain what I am doing wrong but I see a light somewhere off in the distance.Trying steeper angle,shallower angles,slower dives,faster dives etc.

CCIP is all about flying the aircraft into the release parameters which are based on the concept of a bombing triangle. Its much less forgiving than CCRP. It is however, in my not so humble opinion, far more satisfying.

These two threads pretty much run the gamut of what you need to know to get more than started. They contain lots of resources and links.

476th vFG, 76th vFS "Battle Book"

Looking for comprehensive dumb bombing guides

CCIP is all about flying the aircraft into the release parameters which are based on the concept of a bombing triangle. Its much less forgiving than CCRP. It is however, in my not so humble opinion, far more satisfying.

These two threads pretty much run the gamut of what you need to know to get more than started. They contain lots of resources and links.

476th vFG, 76th vFS "Battle Book"

Looking for comprehensive dumb bombing guides

^^ This!!! Decent ressources... though I have to admit, I'm still learning to do it. Too much time spent in helicopters, since the Huey is out :D

But even the basics are a great deal of help. Do not approach the target straight on. Wait until close enough for the correct dive angle. Don't push the nose - roll and pull the plane into the angle stabilize and pull the pipper on target. Pickle, pull, roll... look over your shoulder for impacts... at least that's the theory! :music_whistling:

Sometimes it works well, sometimes I totally f...k up! :megalol:

Shagrat

Great stuff and hopefully I can take something away from it.Funny that I find landing in crosswinds in A10c and BOS to be easy yet as of this moment CCIP has me baffled.

"place the pipper on target and bombs away".megalol.gif

Great stuff and hopefully I can take something away from it.Funny that I find landing in crosswinds in A10c and BOS to be easy yet as of this moment CCIP has me baffled.

"place the pipper on target and bombs away".megalol.gif

It's not "funny" at all. There is a reason military pilots spend 6 months learning to "fly", but it takes another 2 years or more of training before they are considered anything close to ready to fly a fighter/attack aircraft in combat.

Flying an aeroplane is easy, fighting in one is a whole other matter.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

"Place the pipper on the target" is a far more complicated thing than it sounds. :P

Literally this boils down to months of practice and critical revision of your skills at flying the aircraft. Every bad habit you have comes out when doing a single dive bomb run. Pushing negative Gs, being badly out of trim, not pulling the velocity vector through the roof onto the target, dancing the pipper around the target and getting the windshield wiper effect. Its all about understanding your aircraft and knowing how to corral it and not doing all the wrong things that make for an unsafe, erratic and unskilled delivery.

The thing that CCRP does a bad job with people is that it forgives you for being a terrible pilot. You can fly like a jackass and it'll give you kills. Inexperienced people with no mentorship kind of just flop around any which way because it doesn't feel like you need to do a whole lot to get a release solution.

I thought I was a half decent pilot of the A-10 until I sat down and started learning CCIP. I learned lots about just flying from understanding how badly I was at doing a basic rote range deliveries. CCIP was a refreshingly humbling experience after the ease of doing guided ordnance delivery. It puts everything you do wrong under the microscope.

Edit. Eddie the ninja, with better concision skills than I.

GBU-12 when dropped in CCIP falls from from the pipper though.Do I have to still turn the laser on to guide it?I tired last night but forgot how to even drop the GBU-12.doh.gif

The GBU-10/-12 have two release solution modes, one which provides for ballistic delivery (basically putting it on the target like a dumb bomb) and the other one for guided delivery which puts the bomb past the target - the idea being that the seeker will pick up guidance and use the extra energy the bomb has to guide to the correct point.

I believe the default setting for these bombs is the guided mode (otherwise known as Optimal Release Point), so if you just do a CCIP release the bomb will actually land beyond the expected point of impact. To correct that, either start lasing earlier to catch the bomb before it gets past the point it can actually detect the reflection, or switch the release solution mode in the DSMS. For the former method to work, the bomb's seeker needs to be pointing in at least roughly the right direction - a steeper dive angle at release will help with that. If you release the bomb on a fairly flat trajectory, it can sail right over the target without ever being able to detect the laser.

The release solution is briefly mentioned on page 555 of the manual but it doesn't seem to go into any depth on the topic. You can cycle the delivery solution at the bottom-left the weapon profile settings in the DSMS.

(At least, I think this is how it works, or used to; I haven't done a CCIP delivery of an LGB for a long time, and it seems really counter-intuitive for the CCIP pipper to indicate a point where the bomb won't actually hit unless it's guided. But I guess it does make sense if the system expects it to be guided, which is basically what you're telling it when you have the ORP solution selected.)

Edited by nomdeplume

I have alot to learn.:joystick:

That is the whole fun with DCS. Even when you think you know everything, there is something more to add. I have returned to the sim after more than a year and started from scratch. It goes much faster that when I first begun, but I also discover many more things - even the manual, which I thought I've read at least twice, is still giving me something new.

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

The GBU-10/-12 have two release solution modes, one which provides for ballistic delivery (basically putting it on the target like a dumb bomb) and the other one for guided delivery which puts the bomb past the target - the idea being that the seeker will pick up guidance and use the extra energy the bomb has to guide to the correct point.

I believe the default setting for these bombs is the guided mode (otherwise known as Optimal Release Point), so if you just do a CCIP release the bomb will actually land beyond the expected point of impact. To correct that, either start lasing earlier to catch the bomb before it gets past the point it can actually detect the reflection, or switch the release solution mode in the DSMS. For the former method to work, the bomb's seeker needs to be pointing in at least roughly the right direction - a steeper dive angle at release will help with that. If you release the bomb on a fairly flat trajectory, it can sail right over the target without ever being able to detect the laser.

The release solution is briefly mentioned on page 555 of the manual but it doesn't seem to go into any depth on the topic. You can cycle the delivery solution at the bottom-left the weapon profile settings in the DSMS.

(At least, I think this is how it works, or used to; I haven't done a CCIP delivery of an LGB for a long time, and it seems really counter-intuitive for the CCIP pipper to indicate a point where the bomb won't actually hit unless it's guided. But I guess it does make sense if the system expects it to be guided, which is basically what you're telling it when you have the ORP solution selected.)

Great advice,thanks.I put the GBU-12 release solution to ballistic and its spot on now.:)Love the realism!!!Gonna go try to drop them at high angle and using the laser next for another flight of aggravating fun.:megalol:

That is the whole fun with DCS. Even when you think you know everything, there is something more to add. I have returned to the sim after more than a year and started from scratch. It goes much faster that when I first begun, but I also discover many more things - even the manual, which I thought I've read at least twice, is still giving me something new.

Yeah its a whole lot of fun....painful fun.Its really hard to learn to not negative G onto target and after watching the videos on Eddie's channel I am now feeling pretty proficient at it with nary a negative G pulled.I find it amazing that I can actually pull up,nose over and then pull plane onto target almost inverted and actually then level out and the pipper is close to target.:DIts a great feeling to just execute a bomb delivery like this.

• Like 1

As far as I can recall I did not mess around with the options.lua file

Made a check and it's currently set to 2.

Maybe you need to reset controller assignments. I saw some strange behavior caused with controller mappings from previous DCS version.

[B]*NOB* Lucky[/B] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Tko vrijedi leti, tko leti vrijedi, tko ne leti ne vrijedi