DCS A-10C QUESTIONS

Peyoteros

I got the rotary switch to change modes? How do you start a program?

Can I manually start releasing chaff flares? I think this is referred to as starting a program?

i9-9900K 3.6(Running at 5.0 GHZ) 32GB Memory

2x M.2 drives

Win 10 64bit

RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra

OCULUS RIFT CV1

VKB Gunfighter 2 extended/TM Pedals/TM Warthog throttles.

Can I manually start releasing chaff flares? I think this is referred to as starting a program?

Yes. The CMS is the "Grey Hat" at the side of the Warthog Flightstick, the CMSC (!) is the control panel on the right forward console.

The CMS Hat has 5 "Buttons" that are called CMS forward, aft, left, right and CMS Z axis (sorry for the wrong terms.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

What Shagrat gave you are the actual, real life bindings of buttons on TM Warthog.

If you located the CMS switch (the grey one under your thumb) the correct use is as follows:

CMS UP (so when you push it): you start the previously selected countermeasures program

CMS DOWN (you pull it towards you): stops the program, I.e. You stop dispensing countermeasures

CMS LEFT / RIGHT: you change the active programme

I would really recommend reading the appropriate part in the manual (actually, reading whole of it) :) hope this helps! If your CMS does not work as described above, I would recommend to go to settings and set it for default - that way most of the switches will work as in a real Hog.

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

So select "HOTAS" as Category (pull down on top) to filter the HOTAS commands.

And set it up that HOTAS CMS forward = the button to start a chaf/flare/both program which you can program via the CSMC Panel.

HOTAS CMS Aft = interrupt/stop running program.

The left and right switches programs from A-Z.

The A-10C has a defense system that uses optimized "programs" (sequences of chaff and/or flares) against specific threats.

Hope that helped.

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

By the way, there is a training in DCS for the A-10C, the last lesson "Countermeasures" explains the CMS and CMSC... good starting point after you set up your switches. :smilewink:

Shagrat

Thank you for the help. Both of you. I've got it working now. I can't get my head around having to go to HOTAS and binding those as well.

What an awesome program.

Will

2x M.2 drives

Win 10 64bit

RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra

OCULUS RIFT CV1

Thank you for the help. Both of you. I've got it working now. I can't get my head around having to go to HOTAS and binding those as well.

What an awesome program.

Will

Awesome by all means. It is 99% like the real plane! That's what makes it so cool to handle it. No fancy "simplifications" no "accessability", just what the real pilots do, minus the gut-feeling, peripheral vision and all the hardware buttons to touch instead of a mouse click... Though home cockpit stuff can help with the later. ;)

Shagrat

You are right. I complain that the other sims or even the gorgeous planes of FC3 are too simplified...I'd better not whine too much:)

Have you tried this with the Rift?

Will

2x M.2 drives

Win 10 64bit

RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra

OCULUS RIFT CV1

No consumer version of the Rift available, yet. Still hoping for higher resolution.

Currently using 4k monitor and going fullHD looks, dare I say it, pixelated... :D

Shagrat

Yeah I get it. A lot of money to see through a screen. If you like formation though...nothing compares and it runs smoother than than the monitor or monitors so the experience is pretty realistic.

Will

2x M.2 drives

Win 10 64bit

RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra

OCULUS RIFT CV1

Is it possible to add waypoints to the waypoint database id - at the moment we have only

2049 Bullseye

51 Nellis AFB

52 Creech AFB

53 Groom Lake AFB

54 McCarran INT.

so that you need only to know the name/id of it to add it to a new FP (Flightplan)?

I would like to add WPs like FLEX, APEX, GASS PEAK and STRYK ...?

Playing: F-16C

Intel i7-13700KF, 64GB DDR5 @5600MHz, RTX 4080 ZOTAC Trinity, WIN 11 64Bit Prof.

Squadron "Serious Uglies" / Discord-Server: https://discord.gg/2WccwBh

Ghost0815

Is it possible to add waypoints to the waypoint database id - at the moment we have only

2049 Bullseye

51 Nellis AFB

52 Creech AFB

53 Groom Lake AFB

54 McCarran INT.

so that you need only to know the name/id of it to add it to a new FP (Flightplan)?

I would like to add WPs like FLEX, APEX, GASS PEAK and STRYK ...?

Already done.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2611689&postcount=49

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

• 2 weeks later...

A10-C question.

Hello A10-C owners . I would like to get answer to couple questions .

1- Does the A10-C have a IDM ( improved data modem ) or data link . in another word can you share data with other A10-C pilots ?

2- Does it Have a Radar , like Air to air radar ?

3- If you played BMS falcon 4.33 how do you compare the A10-C to the F16 in terms of study level ( i know that they are both different role ) , I love the study level of the F16 is this the same .

4- If the answer is Yes to #( 3 ) does the A10 have up to date avionics or is it old avionics like the F15-C in FC3 ?

Thank you very much in advacne

1- Does the A10-C have a IDM ( improved data modem ) or data link . in another word can you share data with other A10-C pilots ?

3- If you played BMS falcon 4.33 how do you compare the A10-C to the F16 in terms of study level ( i know that they are both different role ) , I love the study level of the F16 is this the same .

4- If the answer is Yes to #( 3 ) does the A10 have up to date avionics or is it old avionics like the F15-C in FC3 ?

THIS complete description should answer all your questions and more.

1- Yes - see manual pp321

2- No radar on the A-10C - but you do get an AN/AAQ-28 targeting pod (even though FLIR isn't modeled properly).

3 - read the 600+ pages manual to find out http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/documentation/dcs_a-10c_flight_manual_en/

4- Not sure what you mean by "old avionics" (like FC3s A-10A?) - it's the A-10C model and most switches and systems are modeled minus some (then) classified stuff.

For more details check the manual - see 3)

Edited by Blackeye

1: Yes, it features a Link-16 data link system which alows data sharing between flight members and even ground forces. It shows the position of other aircraft and ground forces on the digital map dislay and more.

2. No radar (except the AGL-radar). It is equipped with a RWR though.

3. I also play Falcon BMS and the study level of the A-10C (and other DCS modules) is on the same level or even above.

4. It has very up to date avionics since the A-10C was introduced in 2005 I think.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

A citation from 2011 http://aerosociety.com/News/Imsight-Blog/1602/DCS-A10C-Warthog-review should help to understand what "reality level" DCS A-10C achieves:

(...)"The sim itself has a very interesting genesis as it has been developed directly from a desktop trainer for the USAF and Air National Guard who saw the need for a low-cost, yet high fidelity flight training system. With minor changes to remove classified material, the Sim has now been released to the public as DCS A-10C after an extensive beta-testing phase."(...)

There is no more to say, as real as it gets, aside from joining the Air Force...

Shagrat

The most recent A-10Cs flown by the USAF are a bit more advanced than "our" A-10C, most prominently they have a Helmet Mounted Cueing System that we lack in the sim. Lots of good info about the difference by experts and, in some cases, real life A-10 maintainers around the forum; e.g. look for posts by Snoopy and Eddie containing the term "suite" if you want to know more about it. :thumbup:

IIRC we have the A-10C suite 3, whereas the current aircraft are mostly upgraded to suite 7 and suite 8 (which, I guess, is roughly comparable to the "Blocks" that you Viper pilots use to differentiate between different versions of what is known as the F-16C/D ;)).

And I guess this should give you a rough idea of the level of detail available in the DCS A-10C. :thumbup:

This is honestly driving me crazy. Since I updated to 1.5.2 not only targets are near impossible to see in the TGP (a know "wishlist" item for ED), but I also get an insane amount of GIMBAL ROOL issues with the pod. It's making proper gun runs at night impossible to perform decently, since the TGP will invariably loose track of the target and displace itself nearly every single time I roll the wing back level. It keeps track with no issues during the whole approach phase, a 60° smooth 2G turn, but as I level the wings it invariably ends up pointing in a different direction, forcing me to reacquire, something pretty hard to do when I'm less than 2000ft from the target.

How am I to lessen this issue? The only way I've found to mostly work is to align with the target way back, but this means I have a stupidly long attacking run leaving me way too exposed.

This is honestly driving me crazy. Since I updated to 1.5.2 not only targets are near impossible to see in the TGP (a know "wishlist" item for ED) [...]

In case you didn't know yet, there's a workaround.

[...] but I also get an insane amount of GIMBAL ROOL issues [...]

I don't think I've experienced any more in 1.5 than I have in 1.2.

I try to unroll it as often as possible, though: First make sure the target is marked by a waypoint or markpoint, and check that this waypoint or markpoint is the active steerpoint. Boresight TGP, slave TGP to steerpoint - takes something like 5 seconds or less.

With gun runs at night, you should also mark the target by markpoint and make sure that's your steerpoint so you can reslave the TGP if it goes foobar in the worst possible moment. :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Can't get JTAC to respond

In the latest version I'm having no luck getting JTAC to respond in some of these missions where it work a year ago.

Is there something about the radio freqs that has changed....it's telling me to use 30FM in the mission.

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC

@ baltic_dragon, I believe it was one of 'Threshor's_Missions'; a day range predator JTAC. It was a basic training mission and the last time I flew it I sat checked out my ride, depressed the brake and whack the throttle. When I got to the correct waypoint I called for JTAC and he responded.

Did that again just now and he responded after several calls, then it took 2-3 attempts for a 9 Line, More Info and a DataLink message. Are they that busy :)?

I'm sure this miossion is several years old but it worked perfectly before. I would be very happy if you recommend one that isn't too involved and complicated as I'm relatively new to this and getting my feet wet again.

Thanks for the response.

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC