How many polygons for a 3D model in FC2?

Mushu

Hi guys,

Just a basic question, how many polygons are required to have a good 3d model in FC2? what is the minimum and maximum quantities? (Not too big for lockon)

Thanks

Edit : Another question, If i have a 3D model with textures and animations in .lwo format, can I convert it in .lom ? With which software?

Edited by Mushu

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I've put a 160,000 poly model in-game with no fps loss. Depends on how good your rig is. Generally I found huge textures impact performance more than a big poly count. A 50-70,000 poly model could have a ton of detail and still run very well on most average rigs (a lot of ED's new models for DCS and FC2 are around 70k+), and with proper LOD's for the model then the performance hit is almost nil. ;)

Edited by Blaze

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

Thanks Blaze!

And Do you have (or anyone) an idea about lightwave (.lwo) format?

The plugins from ED only work with 3d Studio Max 7 and 8. You can build the model in any software you desire (Maya, Lightwave, Blender, etc), but you will have to import it into one of those 2 Max versions for the animations and exporting to .LOM format. :)

Edited by Blaze

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

Yes, around 30.ooo polygons shold be okay. Can be around 90.000 triangles in Game. All over this can make some problems. Otherwise you have to work with LOD models. So you can for examble 125.000 triangles for the nearest look, 70.000 triangles at 50 metres to object, 30.000 at 100 metres and 10.000 or less at 150 metres. You can use 4 LOD models at maximum. Just my personally experience.

Born to fly but forced to work.

TomFliegerKLEIN.gif

• 3 weeks later...
The plugins from ED only work with 3d Studio Max 7 and 8. You can build the model in any software you desire (Maya, Lightwave, Blender, etc), but you will have to import it into one of those 2 Max versions for the animations and exporting to .LOM format. :)

i tried last time and exported to FC1 and after that the plane seems like floating and not flying ! is there anything else need to be done after export to LOM?

For reference, Su-25t is

Number of polygons: 52,000;

Number of parts (sub shapes): 547;

Skin: consists of 3 textures 2048x1024, one texture 1024x1024 , 3 textures 1024x512 , one texture 512x512. Total volume of texture is: 26 MB

http://lockon.co.uk/?end_pos=9&scr=list&page=2#400

The ia F-18C is 15,800 polygons and 440 sub shapes.

http://lockon.co.uk/index.php?end_pos=10&scr=list

Some old tips from ED:

http://lockon.co.uk/index.php?end_pos=545&scr=default

AMD Ryzen 1400 // 16 GB DDR4 2933Mhz // Nvidia 1060 6GB // W10 64bit // Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2