Going from a TM Cougar to Logitch G940

I've been putting a lot of thought into upgrading from my cougar/CH pedal to the Logitech G940 system. I got a few questions before I make the plunge. Is the quality of the equipment good compared to the Cougar? I'm not expecting the weight of the Cougar but reliability and play around the cetner. Second, how hard is it to configure to work properly in BS? I read threads that go into deep detail on how they had to configure trim to work the way it should (press trim->trim pressure released->set->release). Lastly, are you happy with the HOTAS and if you had a choice, would you choose another system?

Thanks guys

I don't know much about the g940 but I am wondering why, given you already having a cougar you are not holding out for the warthog.

On the DCS forums as well :)

I have the CH gear but I am going to get the warthog and keep what I like the best.

I don't know much about the g940 but I am wondering why, given you already having a cougar you are not holding out for the warthog.

Few things.

First, and the biggest reason: Force Feedback. Having FF is necissary when flying BS and will add another layer of fidelity to other sims.

Second, Not enough features to justify the high price. In my eyes, it would be paying $500+ for a HOTAS the SAME setup as the cougar but with a different throttle, and new sensors, that's it. On the other hand, $300 will give me a new FF stick, split throttle, AND nice rudders.

Thrid, The TM Warthog is too propriatary for me that when I use other sims, just doesnt make enough sense to use. I would rather use a non replica hotas to simulate multiple aircraft. An example would be is what button would I map the Fuel flow switches to on the throttle in a sim that doesn't have multiple engines or the fidelity of having that as an option.

The way I see it, the G940 gives an extra (and in BS, necissary) layer of fidelity with FF and a non propriatary platfrom to use with multiple sims, and rudder.. For a much lower price tag.

Read the forum a bit more... it gets a complete slagging by many

Stay with the cougar and upgrade it with U2nxt and hall sensors

AMD Phenom II 965 BE @ 3.8GHz, 8GB OCZ AMD BE RAM, ATI HD5970 2GB XFX BE @ 875/1215, TM HOTAS Cougar, TM Cougar MFDs, TrackIR 5, CH MFP, GoFlight Switch Panel, iMo Mini-Monster Touch, Mimo 720S, Saitek Pro Flight Headset

If the G940 is getting a 'slagging', can you provide examples? I read posts by users on this board and it seems that the problems they are having isn't really hardware related but more software related (stick play and trimmer not releasing pressure, etc) and those issues have been resolved.

I've researched the U2NXT and hall sensors and it is outrageously expensive for what I get.

Why would i bother with examples when it's pretty clear from this last post that you've already made your mind up about getting the G940?

The questions you've asked have all been pretty much answered before mate... no one here is going to validate a purchase for you.

For what it's worth, i'd keep the Cougar. I like my Cougar; it's robust, solid and hasn't given me a problem. It works with the sims you're playing and you also have pedals... the only thing i can see is that you're just changing one system for another and the added benefit (if it's a benefit for you really) of force feedback. Waste of time and money in my opinion, especially when you have a perfectly decent setup that works.

I'm getting the U2nxt and hall sensor (plus the other lot) upgrades for my Cougar setup shortly and after that, i can't see it wearing out for a long long time. So i'd recommend that instead of the G940 as you'll have 2 lumps of solid metal that will last as long as you want to use flight sims.

AMD Phenom II 965 BE @ 3.8GHz, 8GB OCZ AMD BE RAM, ATI HD5970 2GB XFX BE @ 875/1215, TM HOTAS Cougar, TM Cougar MFDs, TrackIR 5, CH MFP, GoFlight Switch Panel, iMo Mini-Monster Touch, Mimo 720S, Saitek Pro Flight Headset

I'm getting the U2nxt and hall sensor (plus the other lot) upgrades for my Cougar setup shortly and after that, i can't see it wearing out for a long long time. So i'd recommend that instead of the G940 as you'll have 2 lumps of solid metal that will last as long as you want to use flight sims.

As I have read when I was considering the Cougar upgrades, the U2NXT springs can break after a certain amount of usage (several months of everyday usage) so I wouldn't consider this a permanent solution (like e.g. FSSB R2 mod?). The Cougar still sits unused in the box - been using X52Pro instead - and with the Warthog stick coming soon, perhaps it will stay that way as the FSSB mod is very expensive.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

there is almost for every mechanical part a risk to break in daily usage.

your decision depends on what you wanna do with your HOTAS!)

for me, i ve build a separately setup to fly helicopters in FSX, DCS or else.

for military sims, i use a fssb modded cougar, cause i had problems with

a non existent center zone on my cougar stick, so after i met the developer i had the chance to make a nice deal with him and it wasn t as expensive for me. as i build in the fssb 2 mod, it changed many things for me!)

i wouldn t swap my "heavymetal" HOTAS to a plastic one..only cause it has FFB or a plus rudder. i think quality on the stick and buttons is well and i am really looking forward to get the warthog HOTAS from them, for 2engines fixed wing.

edit: on the other hand, i see no glue to not buy some other devices to find out whats best for you!)

don t worry, i have a collection of 3 HOTAS systems, 2 FFB Sticks, 1 modded joystick one selfbuild collectiv and an end is not insight^^!)

Edited by Scudslaker

TM HOTAS WH :joystick:, Saitek Pro Pedals, Track IR 4, 2xJoyWarrier, 1x KeyWarrior, i52500k @4600MHz, ASUS P8Z68-V Pro, NV 670GT, SSD+ WD BC+ WD Raptor, 32HD:pilotfly:[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As I have read when I was considering the Cougar upgrades, the U2NXT springs can break after a certain amount of usage (several months of everyday usage) .

Close to 8 years with above mods and still good knock on wood.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So in the end it's not the stick, not the question if it's replica or not, metal or plastic, quality or cheap, good drivers or bad, it's the question if it does have FFB or not.

If that's what you're looking for, go for the G940.

I'd like to add "you won't regret it", but I just can't.

As you pointed out, you also fly a lot of different simulations. IMHO this is not an argument for the G940, but against it. Well, your money, your decision.

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

So in the end it's not the stick, not the question if it's replica or not, metal or plastic, quality or cheap, good drivers or bad, it's the question if it does have FFB or not.

If that's what you're looking for, go for the G940.

I'd like to add "you won't regret it", but I just can't.

As you pointed out, you also fly a lot of different simulations. IMHO this is not an argument for the G940, but against it. Well, your money, your decision.

I said i couldn't be bothered linking to bad reviews... but one popped up in this thread.

PM him instead and ask him for more info.

Instead you're PM'ing about a trade, so this thread was a complete and utter waste of time and the only purpose of it was to serve as a baby blanket for you to make a purchase.

:doh:

I said i couldn't be bothered linking to bad reviews... but one popped up in this thread.

PM him instead and ask him for more info.

Instead you're PM'ing about a trade, so this thread was a complete and utter waste of time and the only purpose of it was to serve as a baby blanket for you to make a purchase.

Forget your Zoloft this morning? What's with the anger? I merely suggested the pros of going from the Cougar to the G940 and would like feedback from owners on their experience. Currently from my research I seen enough positive reviews to make my decision unless there is a serious hardware defect or quality assurance issue.

No anger, just confusion.

You posted a thread about switching HOTAS systems, defended the system you wanted to buy when it was flagged that it had some bad feedback and generally ignored any advice and input in your whole thread.

The thread *almost* seemed like it was weighing the pros and cons, but it's clear you made the decision to get the G940 regardless... so why create a thread at all?

It's a bit like bumping into a friend in the street and saying "G'day mate, how are you?" and as they start to reply you run around wildly with your hands over your ears screaming "lalalalalalalalalalala!".

• Like 2

Well, ultimately it's his decision.

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

Well, ultimately it's his decision.

Thankfully we now all know about it too

I would gladly exchange my unused Cougar for the G940 if I haven't seen it in person. The build quality is questionable and the overall design and the choice of materials is very CH-like (which I find very sterile, however good they may be). So, anybody unsatisfied with their X65f? ;)

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

I have a U2nxt modded Cougar and Thrustmaster RCS. I bought the g940 and hated it. I sent it back. The Cougar has many more buttons on the stick compared to the g940 and I missed them too much. As for FFB in DCS, I never felt any with the g940.

You can mod your Cougar for less than it would cost to purchase the g940 and I think you'll be much happier going that route. The g940 really does not compare IMHO.

Abit IN9 32x MAX- Kentsfield QX6700 @3520

1.5 vcore watercooled D-Tek Fuzion/PA-160/MCR120/2x MCP655

2x2GB G-Skill 1066 5-5-5-15 2T@1.9vdimm

2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB SLI

2x 74GB Sata Raptor Raid0

2x 320GB Hitachi Sata II

X-FI Elite Pro

Dell U3011

Lian Li V2100B

Corsair HX1000

Every stick has it's ups and downs. I have owned every major brand of stick and I can tell you the G940 is ok. It's more of a personal prefrence though if you want FFB there really is no other choice. I will still probably get a TM A-10 stick but I will never fly the Blackshark again without FFB. I don't regret buying it for a second.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit

Every stick has it's ups and downs. I have owned every major brand of stick and I can tell you the G940 is ok.

Agreed, I also own the 940 and its a damn fine stick. Not perfect but which one is. Own a modded cougar too .... differently animals completely, but both get the job done quite nicely.